Best Way To Sleep After THR

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have been told I must sleep on my back for the next 3 months after THR, I knew this would be a problem for me as I never sleep in my back. I am sitting up at the moment with pillows packed around me.

I am wondering how other people cope with this precaution.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a long six weeks. It was hard and I sometimes woke up on the operated side. I sometimes slept in a recliner. 
    • Posted

Steve, the physio said recliners were not recommended.
  • Posted

I was not told to only sleep on my back. I knew I couldn’t as I was scared to try and I could get comfortable for bit on my back. About 2 or 3 weeks times I started sleeping on my unoperated side with pillow between legs. I woke many times with discomfort back or side. 7 wks post op and sleep is coming in longer hours of amounts.

While I was in hospital my roommate slept on her side. Nurse helped to position her with pillow. I was shocked.

• Posted

Faye, Isn't strange how authorities use different rules. In hospital we were given a large triangular cushion between our legs to stop us turning over.

• Posted

I don't know what to tell you. I'm 12 weeks out and still on my back.  Told I could sleep on side if pillow between legs(had lateral/posterial)  but that is still more uncomfortable than my back. I have to be exhausted to fall asleep. I have heard some people sleep in recliners but very hard to get out of with breaking precautions. Lots of pillows help. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Jen,

I had a very nice electric "lift recliner" which was my mother's that I used, but I found that I could not get comfortable in it, either. I just couldn't "stretch out"!   

The BEST sleep that I had was on my couch, on my back - with my THR leg a little bent at knee and leaned up against the side of the couch through the night. (pillow under neath my knee for assisted elevation.  I rested so very well like this.  You will try lots of things to get comfy, and this worked for me!  Hope this helps you and others!  Take care, Deana

• Posted

I am seven weeks post left posterior hip, I was allowed to sleep on my good side from day two with a pillow between my knees. When I was on my back I put a pillow longways under my operated leg it seemed to ease any groin pain. 
  • Posted

I tried many things, pillows helped, as did changing to our spare bed which had a harder mattress.

I also used my iPod with soothing music, and sometimes just got up and laid in my recliner.

• Posted

Guys The Wrekin is a steep hill. It's not The Matterhorn. :0)

Basil

• Posted

Most people have to sleep on their back for some time. I found the best thing was to make a sort of nest with pillows supporting me, with my back and legs slightly raised, and pillows on either side to stop me turning over. It isn’t easy though and you won’t sleep that well. Rest in the afternoon if you’re tired.
  • Posted

Oh a night’s sleep how wonderful would that be. I am usually so exhausted I fall asleep quickly but wake for the loo an hour or so later which is when the problems start. My thoracic and/or lumbar region hurt! 

I also sneezed and pulled muscles above the surgery site. Can’t wait till I can lie in my side! Now 6.5 weeks post op!

• Posted

Hi catt1,

I am packing myself around with pillows at night to stop myself turning including my one homemade triangle pillow between the legs and am managing to sleep better than expected I also have an extra pillow behind the head making three which has seemed to make a big difference. I hold my nose when I want to sneeze to stop it as I do not want to do any damage.

• Posted

Sadly it caught me unawares I was talking to a friend and it came from nowhere. I gave a pillow then a v pillow and then my normal sleeping pillow. I have pillow at my feet to stop movement but the best night I have had was a run of four hours. It’s settling back after the loo and night sweats 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.