Beta blocker withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was put on nebivolol 2.5mg for my anxiety problems, this march. My doctor had said that my heart is alright. I just stopped taking the medicine 4 days back, without lowering the dosage, because my doctor said its alright to stop immediately. So i did, and the first 2 days were alright. but since yesterday, my heart rate has become fast like before. And now im getting this weird chest pains. I am 18 years old. i just want to know how long it takes the withdrawal symptoms to go away?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should always reduce beta blockers slowly as what you describe is not unusual if you stop abruptly and could be dangerous for you. I can't say how long it will take for your heart to return to normal but I would say go to A&E just be safe.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Everyone says to taper off over a couple of weeks or so, and even then it's tricky. I take atenolol (another beta blocker) for BP and arrhythmias, but sometimes one or both problems seems to go away and I've cut back an already very small dose of the drug, even stopped for days or weeks. But usually there's a period of difficulty - and then, for me, the symptoms return and I go back on the drug. I guess this is an unusual pattern.

So in my experience I'd say the difficult period is a couple of weeks, but different people, different conditions, different drugs, there's going to be a lot of variation.

But here's one thing that might help - chocolate! Dark chocolate, preferably with no milk added, has natural beta blockers. About an ounce of 72% or better can really help. And it doesn't seem to cause problems itself.

Report Reply
  • Posted

dhruv5...Beta blockers truly should never suddenly be stopped. You just stopped the medicine 4 days ago, so it's a bit early in the game. I would suggest however, that you speak with your pharmacist about a good weaning plan. They are afterall, the professionals when it comes to medications.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi there. Are you doing better? I too stopped taking a Beta Blocker after weaning 2 days ago (Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg in my case) and I still have high heart rate occasionally, I'm somehow weak and dizzy, my stomach is messed up and a few other symptoms. Are you feeling any better?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry you are going through that. Unfortunately, it takes a while after stopping the medication to feel better. You can go to my profile and see the other thread I was active at, it has a lot of information about what some of us went through while weaning out. It's really long but it helped me a lot. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Report Reply
  • Posted

i really regret taking beta blockers it change my life so much . back in 2017 my anxiety kick in with panic attack sometimes i can feel my heart beat but not so much i can handle it but still im scared so i told my doctor about it he game me metropolol 100mg 2 times a day he told me its gonna help me since my blood pressure is high sometimes because of my anxiety after that i want to stop it but its too late when i stop it my heart rate go high so much palpitation every time i moved so i cut it into 50 mg every day 100 mg then after 2 years i decided to tell my doctor i wanna stop it cause he also said my heart enlarged he wants me to stop it so i didn't take it for 1 week its really hard all i did was lay down every time i go to pee and stand up my heart rate getting higher then my doctor told me to just bear it it will go away but i cant because i need to go to work he gave me propanolol inderal 20 mg a day but i take 10 mg a day at first its okay until he wants me to stop it i stop it for 2 days and im so happy cause i came at work for 2days without it and im totally fine then at day 3 after lunch i suddenly palpitate so hard that i can even feel it in my head im really scared and my anxiety get back and my acid reflux is bad then i take 10 mg again but when i go home at night i feel something heat in my body like hot flushes and i sometimes palpitate so i take propanolol as he prescribe 10 mg at morning and 10 mg at afternoon its much better but at morning i need to get up early cause it take 1hr for it to effect . i really wanna stop it and live my life before 😥😥😥😥😢😢😢 i can't even let myself tired a little causd im scared that i will palpitate i will do anything i just want my normal life back

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up