Betahistine side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, it's been suggested I try Betahistine 16 mg 3 x per day. I try to take it with food but, last night forgot and took it a few hours after dinner. It does say on the leaflet you can get mild digestive issues. But I had severe stomach pains in the night. Of a level I might usually associate with a virus. I don't think I have a virus, as lack typical other symptoms and, after catching up on lost sleep, just have a sore stomach. Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have never had that ive taken without food and get a slight quezy stomach until i eat

• Posted

I take it 3x per day and don't have a reaction. If this was your first dose then it seems likely it was the culprit. Next time take it with food and see what happens (if your willing to take a chance on nasty stomach pains again!).

• Posted

Thanks everyone. It wasn't my first dose. Just the only one without food. Sounds like most people don't have bad side effects with Betahistine, other than slight queasiness. It might just be me! I do tend to feel side effects to medicines more than most people - and have occasionally had allergic reactions. Took this morning's dose with cereal and so far just a bit of a sore stomach. Fingers crossed! And I will try to remember to always take it with some food, in future!

• Posted

the benefits will be rewarding but remember it takes awhile to get into your system so dont expect overnight results

• Posted

That's interesting, Bluesmann. Does it have a kind of cumulative effect, then, over time? (does anyone know?) I'm not 100% sure how it works. I think I may have read that it helps the flow of fluid in the inner ear - and helps serotonin uptake, though I'm uncertain how those functions are connected. Interested to hear if you or anyone else has any clues!

• Posted

It just take awhile to get into your system completely...its not like a pain pill that relieves pain right away. its slow acting.....Ive heard once some of these folks get stabilized they wean down.....i am on 16mg 2x per day and its been wonderful.....If i eat too much salt or chinese food i feel a bit foggy and i may take an extra one that day.......its been a real help but give it some time to work....dont expect fast results

• Posted

Thanks also for the message about exercise, Bluesmann. I have been less confident with exercises I used to be fine with. If anyone has info on good exercises that help balance - or exercises that can be safe and manageable in spite of balance challenges, I'm all ears (no pun intended!)

• Posted

Eliptical you can hold on to the handles......also most treadmills have side rails.....walking......also google balance excercises....beat this thing.....good luck to you.

• Posted

I have no reactions to Betahistine, I take 32mg x 3 times daily.

• Posted

Hey LadyDiana,

I have no reactions to Betahistine and I take 24mg x 3 times daily (since 2017). Since I take it every 8 hours, often times I take it on an empty stomach with no issues. It took my body about 4-6 weeks to respond to the medication but when it did, the vertigo & dizziness stopped 100%. Without doubt, it has been the best medication that I have tried for this wretched bilateral Meniere's Disease. I still wrestle with the aural fullness (ear pressure) and tinnitus but by the grace of God Almighty, the spinning has stopped and I am not confined to a bed with Ambien and an eye mask. People who have been on this website awhile know that I have tried to taper down the Betahistine to zero when I went 12 months without vertigo to see what would happen and it was a disaster... I plan on asking the Doctor to increase the dosage to 32mg to see if it will help to provide relief with the other symptoms. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this, ArcticBlueIce. I'm sorry to hear that after 12 months vertigo-free, things went downhill for you. I haven't had so much spinning, thankfully. More a general sense of imbalance, if that makes sense. And nausea. Betahistine seems to help both. I notice tinnitus more though, in the AM and late PM, than before I took it. Nice to generally feel more normal, though!

• Posted

Hi. I have been taking bethahistine for several years and definately have stomach issues related to them. Each time i saw a different consultant the advice varied so much, from halving to even tripling dose. Even told that taking it unless really necessary (??), could cause balance issues. I now take one tablet 3 times most days, occasionally missing a day or so to give my stomach a break. Always with or after small snack. If tinnitus or balance really bad i increase the dose. It is so hit and miss regarding conflicting advice so it was a case of trial and error. I originally took cinarizine too and think i may ask chemist advice about swopping to them for a while. I hope you find a routine that works for you.

• Posted

Thanks very much, Dizzyg, for sharing your experience. I was reminded that I had stomach issues with Cinnarizine/Stugeron, too, when advised to take them for viral labyrinthitis. And they made me feel sleepy. Anyway, this all confirms to me that I probably was reacting badly to Betahistine last night. My stomach is less sore today & I've made sure to take further doses with food. What dose do you normally take, by the way? I can reduce down to 8 mg if things seem normal. But need 16 mg to be effective during an attack, to stop nausea and imbalance effects.

Another option my GP suggested was prochlorperazine. Might be worth asking about - although all these meds seem to have possible side effects, not all of which are greatly documented. Hope you can find an option that suits you best.

• Posted

Hi lady d my prescribed dose now is 16mg x 3 daily. I used to be on much higher dose. But as i already said, its very much trial and error for everyone. I definately need a regular break from them as feel like a zombie, although that is also yet another symptom i believe. Re the prochlorperazine , i was advised by a chemist who happened to have vertigo to use them, mainly to ease the nausea etc that vertigo brings on. They do definately help but only on the nausea. Thats been a good few years now.Canada seem to be looking into menieres as an auto immune disease but ive never had confirmation from a gp or ent doc. Good

• Posted

Thanks for that further info, Dizzyg. I did wonder if prochlorperazine would only tackle nausea, as I was previously given it for exactly that symptom with gallbladder issues.

Its very interesting about Canada and the autoimmune diagnosis potential. I will do some internet searching to see if I can follow any developments on that research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.