Betahistine side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, it's been suggested I try Betahistine 16 mg 3 x per day. I try to take it with food but, last night forgot and took it a few hours after dinner. It does say on the leaflet you can get mild digestive issues. But I had severe stomach pains in the night. Of a level I might usually associate with a virus. I don't think I have a virus, as lack typical other symptoms and, after catching up on lost sleep, just have a sore stomach. Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been taking betahistine for years and I am currently on 32mg three times a day. Never had any side affects aside from losing my appetite and falling out of love with food (haven't had cravings in years). I think most side effects wear off after the medication is fully in your system. In my experience dose changes take about 3 months to work.

• Posted

Thanks Ito. About dose changes working (or not), do you mean increasing or decreasing a dose?

• Posted

I am currently in remission but I have taken doses as high as 64mg tds. always with a meal or snack and have only had occasional mild discomfort. It is worth taking the occasional dose of omeprazole as that settles things down nicely especially if you take other meds with potential for gastric irritation.

As others have mentioned Betahistine takes a month or more to become fully effective and you may need a higher dose to achieve complete control - stay on that higher dose for at least 5 to 6 months without attacks before gradually weaning off. If problems return go back to previous highest dose and repeat the above routine. My consultant has said if needed I may go to an even higher dose!

Prochlorperazine is a sedative anti-emetic and anti-psychotic drug which I only reach for if having an acute episode. One or two 3mg buccal tablets placed inside the top lip help to stop severe nausea but its not a good idea to stay on this drug once things have calmed down because it makes you drowsy and spaced out and does nothing for the underlying cause of Menieres whereas Betahistine does as it it increases the blood flow to the inner ear so that the pressure control mechanisms can function properly.

Persevere and good luck.

• Posted

Neddyo, presumably, taking a higher dose is a move decided through a doctor/gp consultation? My pharmacy label on the tablet box states to take one or two x 8mg tablets three x per day.

I'm having a bad day today and considering how to manage the symptoms, given that they're still rough after my first max dose 3 hours ago.

Do you take prochlorperazine in addition to betahistine on a rough day?

Nausea was bad for 2.5 hours but seems slightly better right now with just resting and not moving around much. However, my head and neck ache. Tinnitus is really loud and high pitched at the moment. i have been feeling tired - and pretty low, as I'm meant to be going out for a meal and theatre trip this evening!

Maybe I should be posting some of this in a new subject post. But would be glad of any advice from anyone who has had similar struggles.

With thanks!

• Edited

You will almost certainly need a supportive Consultant to recommend a higher dose regime. The max dose mentioned in your leaflet is regarded as little better than a placebo by my consultant.

To save a lot of typing I have copied a post I put up some time ago which you may find helpful:-

"My consultant, having confirmed the diagnosis, and noting that I was not fully controlled tripled my dose from 16mg to 48 mg three times daily, and told me if I remained attack free for 6 months I should then wean myself off. That strategy worked and I had a full remission period of 21 months.

His advice was also that if the warning signs of MD returning (Ear fullness, unstable tinnitus, dizzy spells) occurred to not wait for a full blown attack but go straight back on the high dose and increase it further if necessary. The reasoning for this is that each major attack is very likely to cause further hearing loss which is not reversible.

I got the warning signs again at the end of July so did as advised. The signs subsided over 2 or 3 days which was good but about 6 weeks later I had a sudden vertigo attack for a couple of minutes which left me feeling unsteady and unwell. I always carry buccastem and took one straight away – fortunately that worked OK. As a result I have increased my dosage to 64mg tds while I wait for a review with the consultant.

This seems to be working OK.

Suggest you ask your consultant to review your dosage. Good luck."

I know I am fortunate in having an excellent consultant and good GP to rely on - sadly not everyones experience.

• Posted

Thanks NeddyO. I'm seeing my usual doctor this week for another reason, but hope to speak with her about the Betahistine. I'm not sure if I'm taking the right amount at optimal times.

My symptoms always seem worse in the morning and are better in the evening (apart from the tinnitus, which is bad at both times - or maybe i notice it more then, as everything around me is quieter at those times of the day. Does anyone else have this issue?

Because the Menieres is only a possibility at the moment - although some of my symptoms definitely match - I've also been reading about Vestibular migraine, and wonder if its that, instead, as i sometimes get headaches, ear ache, pains down the sides of face, and a greater sensitivity to sounds, light and smells. As well as the sense of imbalance, nausea, tinnitus and occasional dizziness, loss of balance and orientation. I'm not sure if all of those are Menieres symptoms though -???

I'd be interested to hear if other people have any or all of the above.

• Posted

I don't think I can say much more but if not done already you should ask about an MRI scan to exclude other possible inner ear conditions. Based on my and others experience you need to be on a significantly higher betahistine dose as your current regime is not controlling or reducing your symptoms.

Fingers crossed you get the support you need.

• Posted

Thanks NeddyO. I saw my usual GP this week and she has taken me off Betahistine and put on to Prochlorperazine. She thinks this is best until my condition is confirmed/clarified, so has referred me to ENT - might take a month to get an appointment. Guess I will just have to wait and see how this all pans out.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that. Prochlorperazine will damp down your acute symptoms but do nothing to protect your hearing damage which will likely deteriorate more if you continue to have attacks. If you have some betahistine left I would continue to take them. I fear you will have to wait up to 3 months for an ENT appointment! That was my experience during which hearing loss and tinnitus got worse.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of a 3 month wait! Fingers crossed mine will be quicker.

The tinnitus was worse with taking Betahistine - I think that's part of why the GP took me off it.

She thinks I may have BPPV rather than Menieres, so it's triggered by movement/position change. I'm not convinced the prochlorperazine is helping any more than the Betahistine. But i guess it's best to get a diagnosis. So far no hearing loss. Perhaps different people respond differently? Or maybe it isn't Menieres - I feel it's really hard to know what's for the best without a clear diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.