Big toe joint replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Saw an orthopaedic consultant yesterday who confirmed, after an xray, that the osteoarthritis in the big toe joint is getting worse. He suggested two different types of surgery: a fusion of the bone or a replacement of the joint. I am leaning towards the latter although I don't know much about it and the consultant admitted the success rate isn't great! Has anyone had it done or know more about it?

Thanks

Graeme

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

do a joint replacement the success right is good if you have a good doctor! See how many they have done and success rates.
  • Posted

Hi I have had a big toe joint replacement as I have OA in both big toe joints, my surgeon chose replacement rather than fusion as I still had a bit of movement in my toe.
    • Posted

And how did the procedure go? Was it a success? Any difficulties at all?
    • Posted

Hi I had the op on 5 months ago, the op went very well, foot elevated for two weeks only minimal walking to bathroom, stitches out after two weeks, wore new sketchers memory foam trainers for support, I still have pain in toe and go to physio every week in the gym, surgeon says it can take upto a year for pain to go.
    • Posted

Thanks Julie, that's interesting and glad it went well. Although you're still in pain has it gone down at all? Do you expect to be pain-free eventually?
    • Posted

Hi, After the op I got tendonitis in my foot from the physio, probably caused by the arthritis because my toe was so stiff before the op with the new joint in and the physio it pulls on the tendons, that's a lot better now, however 8 weeks ago I got an infection in my toe, it swelled up, red and very painful, that's better now. So its 5 month since the op now, it is still painful to walk, but I'm optimistic the pain will go or at least get a lot less than it was before the op. I need this op to work as I need an op on my other big toe joint on other foot as it too has osteoarthritis, hope this helps you .
    • Posted

Thanks so much for all that information. I am awaiting an appointment to see the surgeon and I will take it from there. Was your toe joint sore all the time prior to the op? Mine is only sore if I walk at any pace. Resting it doesn't bother me at all.
    • Posted

Hi there, yes it was, every step and bend of the big toe was painful and also when I was sat down I would get sudden stabbing pains in my toe and aching in my ankle, I still get all this in my left toe which is waiting for an op but I have to wait to see how the joint replacement in my right foot goes, still painful at min.
    • Posted

I know it's been over a year now. I was wondering how your toe and we're doing? I've been putting this off 3 years because I'm so worried about surgery.

• Posted

I had cartiva surgery rather than joint replacement for a very arthritic big toe joint. I hope you look into that. You can google it. It was passed by the FDA last July and most doctors are not doing it yet so you have to find a doc in your area who does it. All the best
  • Posted

Hi. I've just had a joint replacement for my big toe and removal of bony spurs on my left foot. Prior to op this was painful to walk short distances every day. I was offered the option of fusion aswell but as I'm only 35 I didn't want to go for this as it is so final. I'm only on day four so I've got to keep my leg strictly elevated for at least 10days. I'm remaining positive I think I made the right decision as couldn't go on the way I was. Have you gone for surgery? Please keep us updated.

• Posted

How are you getting on now? Had mine done nearly three weeks ago- still sore, obviously- and wanting to so more than I should!
    • Posted

Hi

I'm doin better than I was thanks. I do find towards the end of the day my foot is swollen and aches but this is manageable with ice and pain killers if required. I do put it up when I get home from work. It's a catch 22 as advised to exercise it regularly aswell so doesn't stiffen up! You do need to be careful at your stage that you rest as much as possible as will probably be swollen still. Keep us up to date.  Thanks

• Posted

Thanks for the advice- think I was trying to run before I could walk, as it were!
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean, I was going mad, just wanted to get about but recovery takes time✔️
    • Posted

HI, I had the surgery on July 19, probably right around the time you did it. I can fit in my gym shoes and I am walking outside 2 miles a day now.  I do come home and lay down with ice on there right when I get home. But I find after exercising I can get my toe to move a bit. Otherwise it is frozen and I can't get it to move at all. It really doesnt hurt per say. Just hurts when the shoe rubs on the area where the stitches were. Are you feeling the same??

• Posted

Hi

I would say if you only had the surgery done under 3 weeks ago you are doing too much. My consultant certainly didn't advise me to be going to the gym or walking 2 miles a day at that stage. I only had my bandage taken off at 3 weeks then was advised to do gentle exercise and gradually build up strength. Have you had any physio yet?

• Posted

I got my bandages off at 2 weeks and my doctor said get out there and start walking. I don't go to the gym. I walk around the neighborhood. I was walking four miles a day before the surgery so for me 2 miles is nothing. He does not recommend physio to his patients. He gave me exercises to do and that was about it. I could even go swimming if I wanted to at this point. My scar is beautifully healed.  Just a small amount of scabbing along the incision line. There were no stitches to be removed. My doctor advises his patients to walk and walk. He wants us to get the movement back in our toe as soon as possible. Mine is definitely swollen around the area so bending it isnt so easy. But I have no pain whatsoever.  The worst part of this surgery for me was laying on the couch for 2 weeks straight.

• Posted

Wow! I was advised to weight bear but would not be able to walk that far! I have been to corner shop, bus stop etc- ten minutes walking only.  I was not able to walk four miles pre-op due to pain. I have been doing simple Pilates at home to build up hip and back strength and some heel raises etc. If I totally rest I don't need painkillers. I can walk in sandals, but if I've done too much my foot lets me know. Had surgery on 17th

• Posted

Did they give you a flat post surgical shoe to wear? They also gave me this black sleeve that I wear around my big toe to hold it in the up position. I dont like sleeping in it, it catches on the sheets. I know what you mean about hip and back pain, mine also is not right due to poor gait for so long. I take no painkillers. The pain I had  pre op was so bad, i am used to pain in that toe, I just live with it. While I was wearing the heel bearing shoe for the first two weeks I walked outside a bit too to get my strength back after the surgery. I plan to go back to work in a week. Keep me posted on your progress. Let me know if you get movement back in your toe. 
    • Posted

No shoe with post- just crepe bandage over big dressing, toe in neutral position for two weeks. Shoe was sandal type thing with velcro- was too loose by the end.

Now just in ordinary walking sandals. 

Went for a short drive today- with daughter, in case I struggled!- managed fine. Didn't go far but it was OK

• Posted

Haha just re-read your post- you didn't mean shoe with toepost- you went post surgery lol

• Posted

I had the post op shoe too, I couldn't wait to get off crutches and get rid of it! I had the night splint too but yes it was a pain with bedsheets. I tried to keep mine elevated as much as poss when not exercising to reduce swelling-which was boring!! I've been on my feet all day waiting at airports so need to get mine up and ice it when I get home

• Posted

I didn't get crutches- physio made me walk along the corridor and up and down some stairs on the day of the surgery so I could go home! Hope you are home with foot up and ice on

• Posted

Physio had gone home by time I came round so had to stay in overnight 😡 Yes just got back now thanks. I had mine done in a April but consultant said could take while for full recovery, possibly up to a year!!

• Posted

Here is the toe thingy I have to wear. It is more annoying than anything. 

I wear this around my entire middle of the foot and that holds that toe strap in place.

I am supposed to wear that velcro surgical sandle too but it gives no support whatsoever and I feel my achilles tendonitis coming on so I have been wearing my gym shoes instead with the orthoditic in there when leaving the house just to be safe.

I found some really good exercises to do online so I am slowly trying to do those. you stand with your toes on the stairs only and try to lift up on your toe area. Its hard but I do it very gently. 10 x and hold for 5 seconds each time.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Dont you feel like full recovery won't happen until all the swelling goes down in the foot and then the joint can move freely again. I feel that the reason I can't move my toe at the moment is more from the swelling in the joint space than anything else.

• Posted

To be honest my swelling depends on what I'm doing. Some days are better than others. My consultant was honest that I won't get 100% full range of movement again but I have got good movement now and I would rather this than fusion. Moving the toe does take time but gradually will get better. Yes you're still early days, just takes time. 

• Posted

Not sure. Not that much swelling now- just around the operation site and the joint itself.  My "morning" op was delayed till 4pm so I opted for a spinal so I could get home! At 9.30pm!

• Posted

Ha you're brave! I wanted to be under. I didn't get one wink of sleep though and when the anaesthetic wore off omg!!

• Posted

Oh. They did an ankle block on me. Five shots all around my ankle and boy did each one of those hurt.  Then I had twight sleep in OR. Surgery only took 20 minutes so I was awake after about an hour being under. I did walk out of there about 2 hours later. My leg was numb and nothing hurt until about 1 am when the nerve block started to wear off. I can't take codeine so I was stuck taking tramadol and tylenol or ibuphrophen.  It was painful on day 2 and 3. But after that I didnt need pain pills any more.

• Posted

The range of movement now is reasonable- preop the joint had fused itself- so hopefully it'll be fine even if it doesn't progress from here.

Great to chat to folks who've had the same thing done!

• Posted

I had the blocker too and yeah mine wore off about 1am then I was on dihydrocoedine and morphine😬  Long days like today when on feet a lot and doing tons of walking hurts but that's not everyday. 

• Posted

can you imagine the pain. I only took 600 mg of ibuprophen on day 2 and day 3 to knock out the pain.  Since I cant take morphine or tylenol with codeine. But thats over. I like you had no range of motion in my toe pre surgery. The arthritis was so bad that my big toe was frozen.  If I don't get much motioin back now after the surgery that will be fine too. I just want the pain to go away in the toe. Right now none of my shoes even fit. It's like I have a huge bunion on that foot. That's the area that is all swollen. Dont know what shoes I will wear to work. My crocs are the only shoe that is fitting me right now.

• Posted

I've lived in Skechers for over a year and the insoles hospital had made didn't help. After the op I treated myself to new Skechers as my others were a bit worn 🤣 Did you have any extra bone? I had bony spurs formed on the top so had that removed too. I'm not overly bothered about not having full movement either cos the pain was horrendous pre op. I'd like to be able to wear nice shoes/boots on special occasions again soon

• Posted

I had bits of extra bone underneath the joint as well
    • Posted

It won't show me it 😢

I'm just in sandals with a mepore dressing on- gonna get wet today as tipping down, but can't bear the thought of boots or shoes!

I found some stuff online too.

I guess we're all advised slightly differently according to each surgeon's preference and the pre-op state of our feet. Gonna try and drive my own car today!

• Posted

Let us know how you get on. Yeah weather awful! Which foot did you have done? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.