Bilateral knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am four weeks out from a bilateral knee replacements.  I'm also experiencing the crying and lack of sleep. My doc said this was very common and will pass.  I am able to walk by myself and get on the bike.  I just can't walk but a few minutes then my knees become extremely stiff and  heavy.  Can anyone tell me when this starts getting better?  I have to return to work in six weeks....getting nervous.  Sleeping os awful because my legs will feel like cement in the morning. 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why do you have to return in six weeks?

Read through forum and let your body set the pace.

It is very early days.

Are you in UK?

It all sounds normal but don't be your own worst enemy.

• Posted

Hi Patty. You sound like me. I'm just starting to feel like things are getting better. (I am at nine weeks tomorrow.) When week 8 started, I began to feel a little more normal. Don't cry as often, sleep for about 2 hour blocks of time instead of 45 minutes, still take Norco when I go to pt and at night sometimes, my ROM plataued for about 3 weeks but finally made some progress, and I have to return to work on July 24. And face 32 4th graders. This is a slow recovery, for sure. I'm hoping we both feel more normal as the next few weeks progress. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. I also teach fourth grade!  I will be almost 11 weeks out when school starts. I hope I will have turned the corner by then especially on the tightness and stiffness.  I actually have one leg that is doing much better than the other.  I'm just so glad I'm getting them both done this summer and not have to take next summer for the other knee.....now to survive! 😄

• Posted

The crying is from Post Operative Depression, a very common result of any surgery that removes an original part of your body.  It's a well-known condition that no doctor will ever talk about.  Once you know what it is, kick it to the curb.  You don't need anti-depressants!!!  It's very temporary and easily controlled in your mind once you get a hold of it.  

Sleep...  Yeah, not easy.  Try some of these tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

PS: All bi-laterals are absolute HEROES on this Forum!!!!!  Most of us could never imagine doing both at once.  To us, you're a rock star!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for all your great info. I have read all your sites.  Very encouraging!
  • Posted

Hi I had Bilateral Knee replacements on 16th February. Im in the UK. My legs wouldnt work of a morning until I had been on my excercise bike. This has stayed the same until about 4 weeks ago. Now I can do a small walk with one crutch when I first get up and then I am free to go staright into shower. Life is now getting easier for me due to this. I had 2 weeks off then worked from home for 4 weeks. Travelled back into work at 6 weeks I do have to travel over 80 miles to get to work. I would like to warn you to be careful walking unaided, As when i was 7 weeks post opp. because my posture was not that good due to haveing both knees replaced at the same time I then got sciatica and went backwards for a lot of weeks as it makes your legs give way and is very painfull and scary. My advise is try not to be too brave or showing off. use a crutch to keep you upright with your posture and it does speed you up. I didnt really cry until the sciatica hit so please please be careful. So I am now almost 5 months post surgery I am still on a crutch when I am outside. But walk around house and office unaided. I think it is a slow process and not the time frame the surgeons give you. I was told that it is very rare to have the 2 done together so non of my physio can give me a time frame as there is no data. My scars was very neat at your stage, then because you have to work them because you dont have a good leg my scars on the top part of my knee have stretched wider. Just to make you aware so keep putting on the scar cream.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your good advice.  You truly understand!  I am glad to see you are doing well now.  I know it is a slow process.  It's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are only four weeks out and your legs feel like cement!

• Posted

But at least you know that the light at the end of the tunnel is your new life and not an oncoming train!!!
  • Posted

I can't imagine doing both knees at the same time! How courageous you are! I am at 8 weeks post-op with one TKR. At times the stiffness made my leg feel so heavy it made it difficult to walk but within the last week I have noticed some relief and reduction of swelling. Sleeping is still hit and miss but most nights are better. Yes, getting out of bed in the morning the stiffness is worse but once up moving around it loosened some. Sometimes I put some heat on it to warm it up a little before I get moving too much which seems to help. I continue to do my exercise and find that swimming is helping. Best wishes to you on your journey.

• Posted

lol...courageous or crazy!  Both my knees were equally bad.  I didn't want to take two summers to recover since I teach school.  I also have a huge deductible and didn't want to pay it twice.   I'm seeing that a lot of people start feeling better after eight weeks. I will be right at 11 weeks when school starts.  I'm hoping it will be doable by then.  Thanks  for your encouragement!

• Posted

Wow 2 ops together I just about survived one I'm 6 months post TKR and feel I'm now winning follow Chico he will keep you right it's so early days for you bless you xxx

• Posted

Can't even think to imagine both knees at the same time😱Bless you and anyone else.

As others have said, take it at your pace, don't rush we're all different and heal / manage our pain differently.

• Posted

I think we all do the crying bit, middle of the night was the worst for me.

I'm retired so didn't have to work thankfully.  I would definitely have struggled at 6 weeks, but we are all different.  Just take it easy and rest as much as possible, plus do your exercises when at work.

Good luck.

liz

• Posted

I learned about Post Operative Depression in 2009 when I had my hip replaced.  Four days in the hospital, six days in rehab.  Got home and the big drugs had worn off.  Started crying uncontrollably...for three days.  Finally called my cousin, a doc for over 40 years.  

He said: "The docs never warned you about post-op depression?  Very common in replacement cases.  No big deal.  Just understand that it's normal and temporary.  Once your mind realizes that, it disappears."

When it happened this time with the knee, I kicked it immediately since I'd already experienced it.  You can do the same.

• Posted

Nobody warned me either so it comes as a big shock to find yourself a crying miserable wreck.  It does pass though.
    • Posted

Thank you.  This is so true!  I told my husband.  Now he understands why I can cry over a tire commercial! Lol
    • Posted

Make sure you don't watch any of those "adopt this animal" commercials...you'll jump out a window.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.