Bilateral knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am four weeks out from a bilateral knee replacements.  I'm also experiencing the crying and lack of sleep. My doc said this was very common and will pass.  I am able to walk by myself and get on the bike.  I just can't walk but a few minutes then my knees become extremely stiff and  heavy.  Can anyone tell me when this starts getting better?  I have to return to work in six weeks....getting nervous.  Sleeping os awful because my legs will feel like cement in the morning. 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As you can see, everyone is different. I had a rough time with 1 knee, so I can't imagine doing both. Six weeks is a long time & things will change a lot. It is a lot of pressure for you, knowing you have to go back to work. Any chance you can extend it if you need to?

Lack of sleep is the worst. I've been an insomniac most of my life and I know that when you don't sleep, everything seems worse. I would strongly recommend asking for a Rx for a sleep aide. Ambien has saved my life many times. A muscle relaxer like Flexeril at night also helps. If you get a good night's sleep you're less apt to get depressed and better able to do the exercises. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice....Ambien is sounding very good.  I dread the evening knowing there will be little sleep or getting comfortable.
    • Posted

I took Ambien one time.  My wife found me in the kitchen at 3 am frying bacon on the stove...totally asleep.  Just sayin'...was probably just me dreaming about bacon...

• Posted

As with everything else, everyone is different. I know some people have different reactions from Ambien. For me, it does exactly what it's supposed to do- gives me about 6 hours of sleep & I feel fine in the morning. Patty/ just try 5 mg & see if it helps. Of course you have to discuss with your doc if you're on pain meds.

• Posted

Absolutely check for drug interactions.  Glad it works for you, Terri...or maybe you just don't dream about bacon...

• Posted

God bless you Patty for doing two knees at a time. I can't even imagine it! I am presently at 5 months post op TKR and doing pretty well. I have great days and not so great days.....such a long recovery! I did the crying also, and sometimes feel like crying again, but then remind myself how far I have come. Try and talk to your employer to give you more time to recuperate. Six weeks is way too fast to go back to work. I wish you the very best....hang in there, some day this will all be a memory! Take care, Dolores

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.