Bile reflux, gall bladder removed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am writing to see if anyone can help offer some advice. Three years ago I had my gall bladder out due to it being inflamed. At first I had a little diarrhea and bubbling sensation on the right side around my rib cage, but eventually I felt better if I avoided fried food. Earlier this year I had to get a tetanus booster shot and a week later was given Medrol. A week after that I was not the same. I couldn't eat or swallow, my throat burned, my mouth burned, I felt nauseous. I developed yellow soft stools, and have something that refluxes up to my mouth. I developed laryngeal neuropathy which causes bad throat pain and the reflux sits in my throat and burns. It's three years after surgery and I am truly miserable. I have lost 50lbs, am dehydrated all the time.. I have been to three GI Dr's and they said it's possible I have a dysmotility issue, but no real answer. I wish that I would have never had surgery. Has anyone else had these issues? Anyone get better? I am so miserable I am just broken.. Feeling like my life isn't worth living. Lots of prayer gets me through each day. But I could really use some support.

Thank you

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Kim that is so horrible. I just wanted to express my sadness that you are going through this. I can't help you. I wish I could. I too had my GB out and I've never been the same. I've gone doctor to Doctor no answers. I hope you get someone to help you figure this out.

• Posted

Hi, Kim,

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing these problems.  Have you been offered any medication? I think that the difficulty may be that your liver is constantly releasing bile into your small intestine, which is backing up into your stomach and up into your esophagus. There is a medication available that can absorb the bile.  

I think that the doctors you saw were fobbing you off, and had no desire to help you, because I'm pretty sure that a doctor who was interested could find out a solution or help you achieve relief. My suggestion is that you start seeking out additional GI doctors. For instance, If you attend church, ask members of your church.  

I sincerely hope that you don't give up and continue to search out solutions!  xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm now seeing a new GI who seems to care more to help me. He wants to start by doing another EGD. Can you tell me what test I need to find out if it is bile causing my symptoms?

• Posted

Hi, Kim and a belated Merry Christmas to you!  Bile is a caustic yellow substance.  You will get a burning sensation in your throat and mouth.  If you have an attack of diarreha, it will be in and surround your stools and your anus will burn as well.  It is almost impossible to neutralize.  I take a medication that binds the bile to it.  

If the acid you were experiencing was stomach acid, acid reflux medication should work to minimize the amount of acid being released.  This isn't happening.  That's why I think what's causing your problems is bile acid. I don't know of any test specifically designed to differentiate among all the acids released, but if your doctor truly cares about you, he'll think of something to do.  

Good luck to you, and let me know how you do!  xx

• Posted

Merry Christmas to you and thank you for your time and knowledge! I'm definitely going to ask my doctor for that medication to see if it helps me.

• Posted

Ok, here is the name in small letters, if I print any caps, my reply will be monitored.  cholestyramine...

Happy New Year, too1

• Posted

Wish I had something to offer, I still have my gallbladder and I'm doing everything I can to keep it. I don't know how successful I'll be. The one thing I do know is that if you're not getting answers from your doctor, keep searching for one until you get one that listens !!! Sending out prayers for you !!

• Posted

Good luck to you and thank you. I believe the reason my gall bladder got inflamed to begin with was because of my diet. I didn't used to eat very well. I'm hoping this new GI doctor will help me and have an open mind.

Happy Holidays to you and thank you

• Posted

Sorry your still having problems... It has been sometime since it was removed so that must have been a shock to feel the same ...

Good luck with getting things sorted.

I am only 18 days post op... and i must admit i thought i would feel better than this by now xx

• Posted

Hi Gill

Not everyone has a bad reaction to GB removal surgery. Maybe you will be fine as soon as you heal. I felt OK right after surgery, it was about four months later when I noticed my throat burning. I'm assuming it's bile reflux. It was after the tetanus shot and a steroid that I got worse. Interestingly though, a family member of mine had the same issue and they found out he had sphincter of oddi . Sometimes your bile duct can leak or be spastic. My heart goes out to you and all others suffering from this nightmare.

God Bless

• Posted

Hi I had same issue with reflux just a week after my surgery. I took a lot of different PPIs and none worked controlling my symptoms. I've never had any problems with reflux so bad before surgery. Since last week, almost 3 years after surgery I'm feeling sore throat, lump in my throat, a bit heartburn. All over again. I don't see any doctor in hospital anymore. I know if I see a GP will give me  PPI and I'll see if it doesn't control symptoms I know it's the bile. 

I read that sucralfate can protect the stomach/ throat so maybe you can try this. I probable will have to pay again  and see a gastro I've seen twice before to see if he knows about any other medication. 

I know how you're feeling. Need to keep up the hope we can control this. The EGD is a good first step to see what's going on inside. Please keep in touch about results. 

• Posted

Hello everyone

I wanted to update my status. I had an EGD today(again), but I have a new Dr so he wanted to look. A lot has changed since June when I had the last one. He found that I have grade B esophagitis, blood in the gastric Antrum and my duodenum is inflamed. He did biopsies and says it's dysmotility. I also had the pH impedance probe placed.. And wow this is Very unpleasant... He wants me to take Reglan and baclofen and I am not sure how I feel about this.

• Posted

Will your symptoms go away? I would imagine you were relieved that they found something. What were your symptoms? I sure hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Well if it is gastroparesis there is no cure only medication to help make your stomach work better., but there are side effects. I have to say I feel pretty discouraged. My symptoms are acid burning up to my tongue, throat, stomach, unable to eat much food, yellow diarrhea(gross sorry)., I've lost 50 pounds in 8 months..

Thanks for asking.

Bless you

• Edited

Hi Kim!

I am having very similar problem and I don't know what to do! It first started with reflux, but now I have soft yellow stools as well.

Were you able to fix your problem?

Mine is getting worse each day and quality of life is at lowest point possible.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Goran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.