Biopsy after care

Posted , 11 users are following.

had my biopsies on Monday and labia fusion separated, feeling very sore, as expected, and stinging when peeing.  I have used Epsom salts in bath which eases for a while and aqueous cream to cleanse with.  I have also had Instillagel from the hospital and oramorph if the pain gets too bad.

any other things I could do/use to help with soreness and healing.

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jan, Make sure you drink a lot of clear fluids- the urine will be weaker and less stinging. Try peeing in the bath or into slightly saline body heat  water - 1 teaspoon salt to 1 pint of water- the same salinity as  the human tears, so it shouldnt sting as much a plain water- but you may want to test it out first on a small patch.

With stitches and i would be cautious about too much barrier creams  for a few days - you dont want a soggy wound -

If the fusing meant the entrance to the vagina has closed then using a dilator to keep the  opening from closing again following a surgical stretching is very helpful- If dilators not available  try a dildo - but i would phone up the clinic and ask for advice from the nursing and or medical staff. Phone early  before the clinic session starts - then you may get thro faster - but obviously not TOO early before the staff arrive! You may be lucky and catch the medic who performed the procedure

Good luck hope the soreness goes soon

• Posted

Hi Suedm, The fusing I had was the labia, not the entrance to the vagina, but covering the clitoris and holding back some wee so causing dribbling after urinating.  I do have a problem internally, but not sure what is causing this, it is very tight and painful, but the opening hasn't covered over, just the labia fused.  I had skin cancer of the vulva some 20 years ago and had it successfully removed, but stitched up too tightly and had to have a Fentons procedure where the cut into the perineum, so I have less distance between front and back passage.  I have had subsequent biopsies since and diagnosed with LS some 10 plus years. I'm also diabetic, 3 years and this doesn't help with healing process.  I have numerous other medical conditions which make things difficult too.
    • Posted

You do sound as if you have had a tough time. One of the others on this forum has had a similar sounding problem and some one else suggested a vagi wav- look it up you may find it of some help to you...depending on the cause of course. Hanny  had obstruction to her urethra and had the op recently as an emergency - check out her thread too

Good luck

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Suedm,  will look into this, will try anything once.
  • Posted

I had my biopsy done yesterday so l am very interested to see what advice everyone has , l was given some instillagel but no pain killers but you have had much more done to you than me so l expect thats why you got painkillers . l tried paracetomol as thats the only one l can take due to other drugs l take and it didn,t even dent the pain. l have got about a quarter of an inch of instillagel left and l am trying to save that for tonight. l washed this morning using only water although the consultant said l could use aqueous cream , maybe tomorrow l will try that. She said l could use vaseline after 3 days but only in desperation. l just hope healing does not take too long , and hopefully some relief from the symtoms of LS . l hope all turns out well for you , at least we are not alone , which is some comfort.
    • Posted

Hi Winifred, so,sorry you have to be here, but thanks for your reply.  I would ring your GP and ask for a prescription for more Instillagel.  I use Epsom salts in the bath, other advice on here suggest Bicarb in bath and as Hanny suggested a small amount in a spray bottle of warm water to spay after the toilet.  Today I had a shower and used aqueous cream to wash and it was soothing I washed it off with shower head on warm, not hot, dried with hair drier on cool and applied some Vaseline as I found one of the stitches were pulling and stinging when weeing, this has helped a lot.  As you only had this yesterday, I would stick to the Instillagel for a few days more and then try some of the suggestions.  I hope you recover quickly and get some comfort from this forum.  You could also try ice, covered in a cloth or flannel, this will help with swelling and also numb the area.

Hope this has helped insome way and you get better soon.

jan

• Posted

Hi,

I'm new here, I have been referred to a dermatologist for possible LS and am booked for a biopsy on the 3rd March, I have already had to reschedule once due to work commitments, but am so worried about the procedure and the recovery following the biopsy (I am already in daily pain and the thought of stitches turns my stomach) and whether there is anything I can do to help me heal quicker. Thank you :-)

• Posted

Hi Honeyduck,

It is hard to know another person's pain tolerance.  I can only say - it's not as bad as it sounds or it's doable.  Personally I was surprized how it all went - not so bad after all.  That particular area heals very quickly.  Think of giving birth and how fast all recovers afterwards.  At some point the stitches pull a bit, but then you're already well on your way and the stitches will soon dissolve once you are allowed sitting in a bath again.  (1/3 cup baking soda/bicarbonate will help you as well)  

Wishes you strength.

• Posted

Work will go on whether you are ther or not

your health is and should be your number one priority. I had a Great Uncle who served in WW1 who said Look after no 1 because you are A LWAYS no 2 in every one else's life

• Posted

Hi Hunyduch74,  I wish you all the very best with your op.  If you read the previous posts there is some very good advice for your after care.  It is best to,have the biopsy to determine that it is LS.  If you suffer with pain ask for Instillagel this will ease the pain and stinging, use aqueous cream to wash with or just plain water.  I have fusion of the labia which causes urinating to leak after weeing.  6 weeks after my last op I saw registrar and she got the consultant in because it had began to fuse over agsin, he just pulled them apart in the clinic and told her to prescribe Dermovate ointment once every day for a month, twice a day for a month which I'm on now and then twice a week for a month.  Still having a few problems, should see him again next month.   Hope yours is successful and you don't suffer too much.  Let us know how you get on.  Good luck.

jan

• Posted

Hi Hanny32508, suedm & janwhy

Thank you all for your kind words, I have spoken to the doctor who does the procedure, and she has tried to reasure me the skin that is taken is very small, and that the area does heal quickly, she has said i can go to the clinic a week before and collect some numbing cream to apply 30-60 mins before the procedure, she said this will help.  I know I need to have this biopsy to get a diagonosis and then start treatment, but I am worried!! Did anyone have any problems returning to work (the next day)? or driving? or even sitting down? :-/ feel so apprehensive about it.

Also thanks for the advise on using the bicarb, will definitely get some in ready :-)

• Posted

Small discomfort, I remember, with sitting.  But soon gone, really.  Rinsing the area with baking soda water will probably help as well.  But see what the doctor is advising you.  

• Posted

Thanks for that, I will try not to be so worried, it's such a help to talk to woman who understand, trying to explain to my friends when they don't suffer the same is difficult. Thanks again for the advice
    • Posted

The numbing cream works well...I hardly felt the biopsy. An oral bandage was put on mine that came off after a few days...very little soreness...the actual lesions I believe were more painful. It took about 10 days to get my results back. I feel that I healed quite quickly with very little discomfort.  But I agree just the thought of it was quite stressful...so you may want a stress break afterwards...but should be fine by the next day. 
    • Posted

Thanks renee77108, 

The doctor did say by putting the numbing cream on earlier it would work quicker, you're right about the stressful bit, am trying not to scare myself silly by reading about it on the internet, and i'm aware everybody is different. I had a laparoscopy in October and whilst i was under the doctor performed an internal (as they were unable to do one whist I was awake) He caused quite a bit of damage, and i took nearly 10 days to be able to wee without it hurting :-( i think this has made me feel more nervous about the pain/recovery side of things. Am defitely going to take the day off afterwards, just in case ;-)

• Posted

You're most welcome.  I would not have come through this trying year without the support of the women on this forum and I am happily sharing my findings.  You're right - the 'other world' can not possibly imagine what LS is about.  

• Posted

Hi Honeyduck74,  with my previous biopsies I had general anaesthetic and my last one was a spinal anaesethetic, where I was awake, but numb from waist down, I was catheterised and on a fluid drip, but I did have fusion separation, skin tag removed and 2 biopsies.  I have read about the numbing cream before hand and that it does help before the anaesethetic is administered.  I hope it all goes well and you heal well.  I found a nice soft cushion or pillow to sit on for a while helped.  And if it's at all possible go without underwear for as long a possible to prevent friction ( I know it's not always possible, but does help).  After showering don't dry area with a towel, use hair drier set on COOL.

hope this helps in some way.  

Good luck

Jan

• Posted

How are you feeling today? Have you had the procedure? Or when is it? I have been out of the loop for a few days so haven't kept up with your threads

i do hope you are feeling less stressed and more comfortable. Don't forget to spoil yourself, relax and take things easy. Do not ....Be Brave And Carry On... Look after your self, sometimes we do not give ourselves permission to put ourselves first. Good luck 

Sue

• Posted

Hi Janwhy,  that's a good thought, I will find out a nice soft cushion, am really hoping the numbing cream does what it says :-) mine is only a small op nothing compared to yours, thanks for the hair drier tip, will keep you posted :-)
    • Posted

Hi sue,

My procedure is booked for Tuesday 3rd March in the afternoon, am picking up the numbing cream this Friday so I will be prepared. I have booked the day off after, but will need to return to work on the Thursday, I will go to work armed with painkillers, baggy trousers and a soft cushion LOL

Am feeling a little less stressed by all your kind words and advice. It's silly I'm more nervous about this than the laparoscopy I had a few months ago, sometimes I hate being a woman, men seem to get it easier ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.