Biopsy for perimenopausal spotting

Posted , 9 users are following.

Due to my additional issues with high levels of anxiety my GP is going to recommend I have a mild general for my biopsy.

I’ve been spotting daily for about 4 months.  I’m 57 and not reached menopause yet.  This only happened when I started missing periods.

Has anybody else gone down the general route for a biopsy and if so how did it go.  I know the procedure is short but I believe it’s very painful for some women.  I know I wouldn’t manage this without going into panic mode.  It’s just the way I am, can’t help it.

I don’t understand why I’m not having an ultrasound.  My GP said it won’t be detailed enough.  Having said that she feels it is possibly hormonal.  I’m out of my mind with worry.  I keep thinking my pants have a fishy odour which isn’t a good sign is it.

Anyway I’m waiting for a letter off a Gynea now for an appointment.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello!! I’m 47 with irregular periods for the past 4.5 years. I had two incidents of spotting so my Dr ordered a transvaginal U/S, which showed slight thickening of my lining (4.1mm). I had a biopsy last week and it came back benign. The biopsy was uncomfortable and I was incredibly anxious before the procedure but it was tolerable. It is over in less then 10 minutes. I would tell the Dr that you’d like to start with an U/S, they are very informative. With spotting and odor it sounds like you might have an infection like bacterial vaginosis, which would present with those symptoms. Wishing you the best! Try not to worry too much 
  • Posted

Hi Hunni I completely understand how you feel. I’ve had brown discharge spoofing occasionally this last year and pain during sex. 

I’ve been out of my mind with worry like you.

I e had smear which was clear but asked for U/S as I’d like to ensure my womb is OK but had to have a swab first. 

The swab has also come back clear with no unusual bacteria growth or vaginitis or anything. 

I’m still going to go back and ask for a U/S though. 

I had a clear biopsy about 2 years ago and whilst painful it’s done very quickly. I would like another really but you have to do all this on your doctors advice here(in the UK).

Good luck with your procedure and we are all with you during this challenging perimenopausal time.

Love Lou xxx

• Posted

Hi there. , I'm 55 yrs old. In July 2016 I had a biopsy and D&C under general anesthesia as I too didn't want to experience the pain even for ten mins. I can hardly get thru a Pap smear in fact I can't and my Dr had to do the Pap while I was under general. I thought I was in meno or post meno because I hadn't had a period in 1 1/2 yrs and then started bleeding and spotting. This went on for four months till I had the D&C she actually found a polyp about the size of the tip of my little finger. The biopsy came back benign. She did hormone tests and said that I was at 19 and I have to be at 23 to be considered in meno. She said I may have a period here and there but if I go a yr without on even i should be over. Well five months later last December I had more bleeding I was going to go for ultrasound but talked myself out of it. I don't have bleeding until two weeks ago! I almost made it a yr!!!  But this time it seemed like it was a cycle because I had symptoms prior like ovulation and PMS symptoms then a few days prior to bleeding I had cramping. So now im going to call and ask for a ultrasound. I too had the fishy smell. I hope you get good news from your results let me know how it goes and I will do the same. BY the way my DR also said she thought it was hormonal for me as I'm overweight and she said the fat stores estrogen. 

• Posted

Hi

This sounds a mirror image of me.  From the age of 30 I had very painful smears.  On one occasion I went to 4 places because nobody could manage to do it because of the pain I was in.  I always ended up at the hospital.  I have a low cervix.

How did you feel when you woke up?  I’m even worried in case I’m not fully asleep and feel something.

I too am overweight.

I’ve missed only a few periods but the spotting is almost daily. The spotting only started when my periods became irregular.

Don’t worry about the ultrasound.  I believe it’s painless.  Many of my friends have had this.

I was also going to mention that I never had a vaginal birth.  I believe the biopsy could be more pain painful in this case.

Thanks for your reply and you take care xxx

• Posted

We have such similar stories. I had a c-section no vaginal. I had been under general anesthesia once before the D&C so I knew what to expect. I had a good experience in the hospital this time. It helps to have the right doctor and hospital care. I live in the USA so not sure if this helps. I believe I was under about 45mins-1 hour. I was groggy but relieved. 

• Posted

If it helps, I’m continuously spotting now. I missed two cycles, got one, then 7 days later started spotting every day. I think it comes with very low progesterone.  I don’t know about the biopsy, seems like they should’ve done a vag u/s, I agree with you.  I really do think spotting is all a part of perimeno. I know some women who have had an ablation, guess that cleans out everything? 

Good luck with the biopsy. I’m sure you will get some cramping but probably won’t be anything worse than period cramping. ❤️

• Posted

Hi

This really does help knowing that other ladies have the same symptoms yet it is nothing sinister 

Thank you so much x

• Posted

Also I had no real cramping after the biopsy nothing more severe than I had been having prior to biopsy.the bleeding was heavier but it only lasted about a week
  • Posted

I continously spotted it was one of my main symptoms, I found it quite stressful too, I had a transvaginal ultrasound and biopsy, the biopsy was pretty straightforward and what seemed like a period pain for a few days after. It was put down to hormonal
    • Posted

Are you still spotting?  This is a first for me!  I’m 47, my cycles have been wonky for a few years now.  Recently, I had to have lumpectomy for a small spot of breast cancer, ever since the surgery, I had what I thought was a normal period followed now by one week of constant spotting.  I am getting nervous about it so I’m going to see my gyno.  Hope they don’t find anything other than stress related cuz lord knows, I’ve been super stressed out about the breast cancer dx.....I am still recovering from the surgery so my energy levels are not where they should be yet.... little tasks make me sleepy!  
    • Posted

Dear Kim

This happened a couple of yeara ago when I was in peri, I had a transvaginal ultrasound and all they said was I had a couple of simple cysts nothing to worry about, I just wanted the ultrasound for peace of mind really. I can understand how you must feel afteryour breast sugery, menopause brings alot of health anxiety (I had it really bad) without other things to contend with.

• Posted

I realize this is an old post but just curious if your spotting was ever a mix of red and brown blood. Mine is usually a mix, mainly brown with the occasional brighter red.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.