Biopsy for perimenopausal spotting

Posted , 9 users are following.

Due to my additional issues with high levels of anxiety my GP is going to recommend I have a mild general for my biopsy.

I’ve been spotting daily for about 4 months.  I’m 57 and not reached menopause yet.  This only happened when I started missing periods.

Has anybody else gone down the general route for a biopsy and if so how did it go.  I know the procedure is short but I believe it’s very painful for some women.  I know I wouldn’t manage this without going into panic mode.  It’s just the way I am, can’t help it.

I don’t understand why I’m not having an ultrasound.  My GP said it won’t be detailed enough.  Having said that she feels it is possibly hormonal.  I’m out of my mind with worry.  I keep thinking my pants have a fishy odour which isn’t a good sign is it.

Anyway I’m waiting for a letter off a Gynea now for an appointment.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a few friends with anxiety. It's so hard for them and I have to remind others that they do not WANT to feel that way. It is unavoidable. As far as the biopsy, I was in panic mode too even though I typically do not suffer from anxiety. The comforting part is that it only takes 3 to 5 minutes and it's over.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  I am out of my mind with worry.  I’ve had a cold sore for one month.  I can’t sleep and keep waking up with palpitations and hot sweats.  The soon this is over the better, then hopefully I can start living again.

I’m glad that you are OK xx

• Posted

The worrying is the worse. It's so hard to function. I did find comfort from the people on this site when I had trouble. That is when I started to follow this daily. I think we learn a lot on here since these are things people just don't share in person. Some of the docs just go by the book and order tests like crazy. I've heard some say any bleeding is not normal, yet I've seen it with so many people and they are fine. I'm not sure they know 100% what is normal.

• Posted

Hi DaisyDaze! I completely agree with you, I think some Drs are extremely cautious and order every test under the sun to rule out something sinister.  My Dr is like this but it does give me peace of mind. But I agree I think everyone is different and we all go through the change differently.  And I continuously hear any bleeding is alarming and others say any bleeding after 1 year is the rule.  This transition does cause a lot of anxiety, stress and confusion. Wishing everyone a smooth transition :-)
  • Posted

It’s such an anxious time! Reading through the whole threads shows how we are all under such stress at this time.

I’m currently awaiting ultrasound as I have had a brown discharge on my loo roll every time I go to the loo. Not bleeding as such just browny coloured discharge. I’ve  Had smear and swabs test which were all clear and doc says it’s all normal in perimenopause but have a scan for peace of mind. That was a week ago and I’m ragged with worry about what’s causing this while I wait for my appointment.It really affected my Xmas sadly.

The doc said if I hadn’t had any bleeding for a year then it would b a concern but as I’m Peri they arent so concerned - but I am still terrified.

Oooo goodness it’s so hard not to worry isn’t it?? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Louise! It sounds like what I went through, all completely normal during the transition. I had the T/US and my lining was within normal range. Dr believes the brown discharge was from hormone fluctuations. It’s so hard not to worry, I completely understand how you feel. I had my annual, blood work, TVUS and biopsy all through the holidays and it did seem to diminish the excitement of Thanksgiving. Wishing you the best of luck, I’m sure everything is going to be just fine! Enjoy your New Year!
    • Posted

Hiya Dawn thank you sooo much for your reply. I’m welling up with relief at your helpful and understanding comments. It’s a shocker of a time for anxiety though isn’t it? The shine has really been taken off my Xmas and I really did try to stop worrying but it was so hard.

Thank you again for your kind reply - it means so much to me and your kindness  really has made my day. All the very best to you for the rest of the holidays and have an amazing New Year!!!! 😘😘 xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.