Biopsy in 2 weeks

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I went to my new Urologists and mentioned all the test you guys mentioned here and while he said those are good test none are as definitive as a biopsy. I know everyone tolerates pain different but on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst. How bad was it for you?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No pain whatsoever, whilst biopsy was being undertaken a nurse was facing me all the time which took my mind off what was happening.
    • Posted

Thanks Nigel, I am gonna ask if I can at least listen to some music to take my mind off of things. 
    • Posted

I cannot remember any injection for pain, I know I felt no pain in any shape or form.

• Posted

The 1st doctor that did a biopsy did not numb the area with lidocaine. Ouch! I almost flew off the table. 3 years later I had another biopsy by a better doctor. I barely felt it.

He did use lidocaine prior to the procedure.

• Posted

I went over the procedure with my Dr and asked about infection. He said the first thing they do is numb it with lidocaine. Where you comfortable driving home after the second time? 
  • Posted

I'm not sure that the local anaesthetic had been fully effective, so pain rating 4 or 5 but only while it was happening, i.e. when jabbing stopped, so did pain. Took me back to olden times when school dentist, with cable & pulley operated drill, didn't bother with a cissy thing like a local for a simple filling!

Having managed to avoid all significant hospital procedures in my 7+ decades, I'd amplify that with a squeam factor of about 100 out of 10. Disregard if you're not the squeamish sort. Whatever happened to me subsequently .... catheterisation, TURP, etc .... was easy peasy compared to that initial culture shock. Must be my sheltered upbringing, confined to falling down steep hillsides, sliding off motorbikes and so forth, with varying degrees of rather painfull injury, though not requiring anything more than outpatient treatment.

• Posted

My first awake biopsy was uncomfortable but OK - nurse held my hand in front while a crowd of observers watched the procedure from behind! I just reminded myself that women go through much worse during childbirth!

Second saturation biopsy was pain free because I had a general anaesthetic.

• Posted

coinky dinky, me to. i'm scheduled for an MRI-guided in-bore, so the number of core-samples won't be 12-20 but only 4-6.... or so i'm told. paying $2500 out of pocket, which i'm hoping will hurt more than the biopsy. i'm bein told "don't be a wimp, get a TRUS fusion, won't cost you a dime" - going down to sunny delray beach FL to have it done, keep hearing people say "have fun!" oh yeah, a needle up my butt, what could be more fun than that, i ask you?

• Posted

Well my biopsy is scheduled a week from tomorrow so I'll let you know. They didn't mention lidocaine but I'm definitely going to ask for it. What sort of pre meds did they give you to take for infection?

• Posted

Rolf, I'm not sure what meds they gave me, not home at the present time but I do know they said that it was 3 days of medication. The day before 2 tablets, the day 2 tablets and the day after 2 tablets. That was one of the first questions I asked once they told me it was no way outta getting the biopsy.

• Posted

i STILL on the fence about getting biopsy, although scheduled for it feb 28. i've been taking cayenne in gelatin capsules for a week and maybe it's imaginary, but i think i have more control over urination now. trying to get another PSA to see if the 16.6 has dropped. if it has, i may keep doing this ayurvedic herbal regimen and put off the biopsy another month or two.

• Posted

Yes, I asked about the other test I saw mentioned here as an alternative but my urologists said while the other test are good a biopsy is the most definitive way of knowing
    • Posted

Rolf61809,  they give me Ciprofloxacin for infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.