Biopsy in 2 weeks

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I went to my new Urologists and mentioned all the test you guys mentioned here and while he said those are good test none are as definitive as a biopsy. I know everyone tolerates pain different but on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst. How bad was it for you?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mine was very uncomfortable and pain was 5 on 1-10 scale. It was TRUS biopsy were 12 samples were taken. Cores number 3, 8, 10 were very painful. Drive home was uncomfortable and I had bleeding in urine for about 4 weeks. First time I had #2 I was bleeding from rectum.

Antibiotic injection of Rocepfin which was given intramuscular was also painful for 7 days.

MK

• Posted

Hi BigwiilG

?I would say it was uncomfortable rather than painful. Not wishing to be crude, it was like needing to go to the toilet with more than your normal stool feeling. Slight stinging but no more than an abrasive shave with a blunt blade. As I recall I was given antibiotics for 5 days after to ensure no infection. There were three doctors when i had it done. The senior doctor was very careful and apologetic for the slight discomfort. She ask me during the process was I alright, at which I retorted "will this do anything for my tinnitus"  The two doctors observing went into the corner and I could see from their shoulder movements they had the giggles. I didn't have tinnitus at the time but I have it now. Serves me right for being too dam clever..

The process is probably more embarrassing than anything else.

Good Luck

?G

• Posted

I get you on the embarrassing thing. As I was looking around the office at the amount of women that were his assistants I couldn't help but think how embarrassing this it gonna be lol. But it's a necessary evil.

• Posted

My urologist numbed the area with lidocaine.  The procedure was a little uncomfortable but not painful. I would say a 1 for me.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I have not read the entire thread, but if you refer to a post MRI and pre-op biopsy then if my experience is a guide, with a general anaesthetic I endured no pain during and after the procedure.

A prostate biopsy (I had a transperineal)  is a big deal. You should have it done if PCa is suspect.

The experience of the urologist means everything. The more of these he has done, th less chance of something going wrong eg sepsis.

Also choose the urologist wisely. Ask the one you want to operate on you, if you end up going that route, to perform the biopsy.

• Posted

hi barney - do you happen to know if an MD in Radiology is sufficiently qualified to do biopsy (surgery) or does performing biopsy require an MD in Urology?
    • Posted

You want a surgeon e.g. urological surgeon. I have not heard of radiologists working in the O.R. That said, you want the biopsy performed by the surgeon you trust to operate on you in the future if you go that road. This is because many physicians will not trust another's work of another  eg biopsy.

• Posted

seems all my replies are being deleted. sorry, pal
  • Posted

Don't forget to tell us how you got on -- and whether any of the varied experiences the rest of us have shared turn out to have been at all relevant in your case!

• Posted

You make a good point about having the surgeon who may end up operating on you doing the actual biopsy. But I would imagine in most cases they would consider that as duties below their station. But that would have been a good question to ask.
  • Posted

Well I had by Fusion guided transrectal prostate biopsy 24 hours ago. First a couple female nurses who apparently flipped a coin for the honor of inserting a couple fingerfulls of Lidocaine digitally into the rectum. I did ask for a synopsis of exactly what was going to be done but neither one of them was interested in answering any questions saying rather 'wait for the doctor he'll tell you everything you need to know'. Wrong... Finally the doctor Waltz Dune and I asked him whether they use the same needle to collect each core sample as I was concerned about needle tracking that is to say if they do sample what turns out to be a cancerous spot whether the needle is going to infect the next sample area with potentially cancerous cells. He replied that he wasn't concerned about that so naturally that I wasn't either. (Not) I also had intended to verify that they were indeed doing a fusion guided biopsy using the MRI images as opposed to a regular Trus biopsy but I forgot to ask or ask him to show me the screen confirming this. So he gets everything in place and is ready to do the first couple core samples. ZINGGG, ZINGGG. THEN he tells me that what I thought were the first couple samples were actually just lidocaine injections. If he had told me that first I would have asked him whether the pain without the lidocaine injections was actually that bad that people were scooting off the table. I probably would have opted just skip the lidocaine injections as it seems to me that each extra needle stick is another opportunity for infection or sepsis as well as needle tracking. It seems to me that they ought to try to find a way to use a different needle for each core sample, but that might raise their cost a couple bucks an operation so it's not going to happen anytime soon. I believe he took about 16 samples all together. The pain sensation (with the two lidocaine injections first) was like a big snap from a tiny rubber band. Not bad at all really. Then he told me I could go ahead and get dressed but I replied then I had a couple questions regarding the Gleason scoring system.So he scooted, with my impression being that he'd return to answer my questions once I got dressed but at that point the nurses told me that he was already with another patient. Right... I really did want his viewpoint on the Gleason scoring in order to do my research and not get caught flat-footed possibly next week when he calls me with the results. And I was going to tell him that I knew that urine semen and feces might have blood in them for a couple weeks, but wanted to ask him at what point bleeding wise I should check into the ER. The closest ER to me is about 15 minutes away but the hospital where I had the procedure is a good hour drive. If there had been problems this weekend I would have preferred to be seen at the hospital where I had the procedure done. But he was gone so I couldn't ask him and all the nurses could tell me was to call the emergency contact number if I had any problems. Not exactly good customer service but I at least had the satisfaction of knowing that they had had to stare at my 62 year old butt for 45 minutes. Although I had urinated right before the procedure before I got dressed at the end I managed to squeeze out about 5 cc's which was blood red then turn the toilet bowl pink. I did inform the nurse of this and suggested that she note that fact in the procedure records but I have the sneaking suspicion that didn't happen. I guess she did go to class the day that they explained about any possible adverse reactions to surgery. I'm quite put out that he didn't return to answer my questions after implying that he was going to. Oh and when I got home 3 hours later my urine stream fortunately was clear. No need for a BM yet, as I limited myself to a bowl of soup everyday for 3 days prior to the procedure. So on the whole things went fairly good I think. The sample site is still a little sore, but I have been having rectal pain issues for the past couple of years which to some point have been helped by internal physical therapy. The rectal pain to a large part influenced my decision to finally have the biopsy to rule out any prostate cancer issues. When I last talked to the doctor indicating I wanted to know how the gleasons going worked I mentioned that it was my understanding that they miss about 20% of the cancers anyway. He said that he didn't think it was that high but didn't offer an alternative number. I recognize that I am an annoying patient as I do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. If there is a next time for any sort of invasive test or procedure I'm definitely going to submit my questions in writing some weeks before it is done and insist on written answers. I've mentioned before that my last 3T prostate MRI was scored as 4+5 by the local radiologist but only as 2+2 by the radiologist at the Cleveland Clinic. Does anyone have a relatively short answer on how the Gleason scoring is done and what it means? At least by this time next week I'll have answers. Of course I'm hoping that they don't find anything, and scared as hell that they will. My fear is that if they do find something significant that there will be about 15 different treatment options to try to decipher and decide. I think getting the biopsy was the right decision though as I can't imagine living with myself if I had skipped the biopsy and then a year from now heard the doctor saying 'If you had only come in a year ago...'

• Posted

1st - congrats. hope no SEs from what should have involved 4-6 punctures... or so i was told, about MRI-fusion biopsy, by the only uro-onc. that saw me... whom i fired after waiting 4 weeks with no call back, after the MRI report said Malignant Neoplasm!  

2nd - how is it that drs. become annoyed with us? is showing disdain part of the healing process?

3 - not sure you'll get this msg. the site has been deleting my postings. 

• Posted

how did you get gleason scores from an MRI scan?? gutsy of both radiologists. far as i know, gleasons are only tallied by a histologist/pathologist, looking at a biopsy sample thru a microscope. i uploaded an image of what they typically see and an explanation of same but i'll try again here. if you can't see it, msg me.

• Posted

Yes. you are right. Score assignments based only on pathology of the cells.
    • Posted

As far as I know the MRI can yield a PIRADS score.

An estimated Gleason score is obtained via a biopsy.

The true Gleason is obtained post-operatively.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.