Bisoprolol 1.25mg

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone found their heart beats hard and forcefully since being on bisoprolol?

I take 1.25mg a day.

As far as I know I have nothing wrong with my heart but put on bisoprolol as my regular non specific beta blocker (Inderal LA) was discontinued. I was put on it 8 years ago for migraine only.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi - I have taken Bisoprolol for nearly 15 years, I have had 12 stents in my arteries, and have heart problems, but, NO, I dont find it makes my heart beat any differently, and it does keep my BP down
  • Posted

Bisoprolol is supposed to slow down your heartbeat and it could be this difference which you are feeling and it does no harm.  However, the side effects here are mostly feeling extreme fatigue and weakness, so if you don't get these, then there would be no good reason to discontinue (unless of course your heartbeat is now too slow).
    • Posted

If it is interfering with your sleep, then I would mention to the doctor that this is happening and it is since you started Bisoprolol.  There are other alternatives to this drug or it could be that your condition needs further investigation from your doctor.  It doesn't matter if you feel you are making a fuss - all  doctors will pay attention if you are adamant about wanting it.
  • Posted

I had similar problems with Bisoprolol.

On some days, beats have been very hard, and slower, and just strange in general.

On some days, everything was normal.

But, in my case, it hasn't change over time (strange rhytms and beats), it got more and more stranger over time.

• Posted

Bisoprolol is a drug to alter heartbeat when all is said and done.  But if any side effect is preventing you from living or sleeping normally, then it should be referred back to your GP who will either reassure you these are just ectopic beats to be ignored, or make fresh investigation or change of drug.  It all very much depends on what a person finds tolerable which may be intolerable to someone else.
  • Posted

Yes..i feel it too

I can feel my body shaking follow the rhythm of the heart beats..i also 1.25 mg a day

Im on it for my arrythmia

• Posted

Hello Lisa

Have you spoken to your Dr about feeling your heart beating hard?

I was put on it to replace the beta blocker I was on for migraines as it was discontinued.

If you speak to your Dr about the problem, could you let me know his/her response.

It's driving me nuts at night as I'm trying to go to sleep.

Best wishes Rose 🌹

• Posted

This might sound daft but when I get what I have come to call one of my bumpy nights, I put on a radio talk (Radio 4 if you are in UK) and find that distraction does work to a great extent and I often fall asleep with the radio on now.  Reminds me of having to drive my babies about to make them sleep in the back of the car!  I think anxiety plays a big part in keeping you awake when all you have to listen to is your heartbeat playing up.
    • Posted

I keep the TV on low to try to distract me.

I didn't have this hard heartbeat until my non selective beta blocker (Inderal LA) was discontinued and was changed to selective beta blocker bisoprolol.

I was put on Inderal for migraines. Just wonder if it's actually bisoprolol causing it???

• Posted

Always worth a visit to your GP and tell him what you are experiencing and especially that it is causing sleep disturbance.  Have you researched the other drugs for common side effects?  When so many of us are on multiple drugs, then it is not easy to pinpoint what is the problem, but it is clearly a matter of trial and error to find what is right for each individual as this varies greatly.  Your GP should be cooperative if you ask to try alternatives.  

NB  I think the TV can keep you awake as you have to use your eyes.  Try a pillow speaker if you have a partner who doesn't want to be disturbed by the sound.

• Posted

I don't watch the TV. I lay on my side and listen to.it.

I'll have a word with my gp. See if there's an alternative

Many thanks

• Posted

I am off Bisoprolol for about 3 months now. However I take magnesium and my hear palpitations are gone and the shakiness. Guys you got to try to get off this pill otherwise you will be zombie for rest of your life. Take my advice. Some times you need to be the doctor your self. Go and he a book on line Howe to reverse hear disease by Dr. Esselstyn.  I did it and I have my life back. Good luck to you all.
    • Posted

Hi.

I know your last post was 8 months ago but am taking the chance of asking you a question. It's about the magnesium you are taking instead of Bisoprolpl.

I am currently on Bisoprolpl for a very fast heart rate but the side effects are too much for me and l want to get off it. You mentioned you had a fast heart rate, was on Bisoprolpl and then chose the magnesium. Is it doing the trick and did your Doc prescribe it as a normal prescription?

I would really love the answers to.my questions of you could please.

• Posted

Christine, Magnesium can't help as much as drugs.

If you have some serious problems, Magnesium can't help.

Magnesium can help in cases if you have a HR 80-85, to lower it to 75-ish and similar.

Or if you are going through a withdrawal from Beta blockers, then it can help to slightly lower a high HR which you have due to a withdrawal.

But if you have, for example, too fast Heart rate, like 100, 120 and similar while resting, then Magnesium can't help.

Regarding side effects from Bisoprolol, you can ask your doc about some other Beta blockers like Atenolol or Nebivolol.

Or, you can try some other class of drugs, like Calcium channel blockers.

For people who can't handle Beta blockers, if you have a sinus tachycardia, you can try with a new drug called Ivabradine.

So, maybe you should try Atenolol, Nebivolol or Calcium channel blockers.

But, ask for only 20-30 pills, and not for 90-120 and similar.

So, if you won't like them, so that you can switch soon to something else.

Also, there is a chance when you will switch between Bisoprolol and some other Beta blocker, or when you will go from Beta Blocker (Bisoprolol) to Calcium channel blockers that you will suffer a mild withdrawal effect for a few weeks.

• Posted

Thanks Bob for reply. I know l seem to be constantly asking questions about Bisoprolpl but it's because l hate taking it but know l need to have something for the fast hr. So l know Magnesium is not the answer to my problem. I shall take your advice on that one now.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi zipper2015

Can you remember if, when you were coming off Bisoprolol, you got odd bumpy little beats?

I've started reducing mine as advised by my GP. 

I was on only a small dose of 1.25mg

Thank you

• Posted

Hi

What sort of withdrawal effects?

I'm reducing Bisoprolol. It's only 1.25 mg!!!

I'm getting funny little bumpy beats every now and then.

Is this a withdrawal effect

TIA

• Posted

1,25Mg is not a tiny dose.

Every dose of Beta Blockers is somewhat strong.

Try to look at other topics here.

Usual withdrawal symptoms are: rebound tachycardia, high blood pressure, arrhythmias, headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathing problems, random pain in muscles, huge anxiety and panic attacks.

How long have you been taking Bisoprolol?

• Posted

Christine, are you getting forceful heartbeats and pressure in your chest, I,ve been on bisoprolol 1.25 for 7 months, I am getting this everyday now and am getting worried that maybe I have another problem apart from svt, ectopic heartbeats and a leaking valve.  I have no faith in our English health service anymore.  I am currently recovering from a broken ankle also.
    • Posted

Sorry for late reply Ann.

I don't have hard heartbeats no, but l do have very rapid palpitations unless l take the Bisoprolol. I so wish l could come off this drug because I've never felt well since l started taking it in Feb this year. Do you think you could ask a pharmacist for advice as they normally know a lot more about drugs and their side effects than the Drs who dish them out. I do though feel as though my chest is constricted sometimes but don't think that is what you mean with hard beats is it? And am sorry about your broken ankle, bet you think everything is going wrong for you, am sorry for you l really am.

• Posted

Hi Bob

I’ve been taking this small dose of Bisoprolol for 2 years now advmy other bets blocker ( half infernal LA) was withdrawn .

I was put on it for migraines!!!! 

Now I’m reducing the Bisoprolol I’m getting bumpy little heart beat every now and then

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.