Bisoprolol

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All,

I have recently been prescribed Bisoprolol for a leaking mitral valve. Since starting it I have a sudden drop in pulse rate, anything from 40 - 45 and feel awful. My cardiologist does not want to stop tabs yet as I am still having tests to determine whether or not I need surgery. Anyone else have the same problems and if so how do you cope with it.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

this is a normal effect of bisoprolol. I'd stop what you are doing and either lie down or sit down and put you head between your knees(like if you feel faint) trust your cardiologist
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (leaky mitral valve) following an echocardiagram that was requested when a rheumatologist discovered a heart murmur about 7 years ago. At the time I was told it was slightly leaky but so far haven't been prescribed medication. Do get palpitations occasionally but I do also have an irregular heartbeat. I find that coffee can aggravate the problem even though I stick to decaf. Gulping ice cold water seems to help.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies & suggestions. I had a particularly bad day yesterday, when pulse rate actually dropped to 38 at one point which was a bit scary. Thanks goodness I wasn't working & could sit/lie down all day. I am having a 48 hour heart monitor next week, which hopefully will show up something. Just to clarify my story a little; I was born with a heart murmer which my Mum & Gran (on Mum's side) also had. It missed my older brother completely & got me & my younger brother, who was 16 when diagnosed & had a repair done 6 years ago. I have lived with the symtoms Mrs O describes all my life, but the last few months the palpitations are constant, to the extent that I can feel it all up in my neck, hence the reason for Bisoprolol. Thanks all
  • Posted

Maggie-Ann

I do sympathise - it must be awful having suffered from palpitations for so many years. When I was on the beta-blocker, Atenolol, for 3 years I didn't notice the palpitations as much but had similar side effects to you of the beta-blocker slowing the heart rate down so much as to make me feel really lethargic. It slowed my metabolism so much that I gained weight. After 3 years on the beta-blocker, I was diagnosed with a reduced functioning sole kidney and the renal consultant switched me from the beta-blocker to an ace inhibitor believing it would be better for the kidney problem, hence an occasional return of the palpitations. I hope the medics come up with some treatment that will help you.

• Posted

Hi what dose are you on? i was on 2.5 but my gp uncreased it to 5mg a few weeks ago as im having lots of palpatations but i feel my pulse is weak and slow,and im very tired.
  • Posted

Hi Sandy 40,

I'm also on 2.5mgs, I started on 2.5, but had to drop to 1.25 as I felt so awful, but then the palpatations were worse so doctor increased it back up. I am still getting the palpatations quite bad again, but pulse rate still drops and I feel awful most of the time. I still have to have some more tests to see what they are going to do in the future, so it's a case of wait and see!

What are you on Bisoprolol for??

Take care

Maggie Ann

• Posted

hi,when you say you feel awful,what do you feel? im very tired,could sleep all day,i feel very sick,very down and my chest hurts....im on 5mg at the moment,im on it for a racing heartrate and palpatations,but when i fel my pulse is weak and slow so im worried,i still dont know whats wrong with me,ive had alot of tests but still dont know whats wrong,im very scared.

love Sandy

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry you're having a rotten time at the minute. I feel much the same as you really, very tired & weary all the time, get very down at times and like you my pulse rate drops and has been as low as 38, which is quite worrying. Have you joined the British Heart foundation? If not it's free to join and there is a lot of info on there which you might find useful. I joined at the beginning of the year and you find a whole lot of people with the same issues. What do they think is wrong with you? Keep in touch.

love maggie-ann

• Posted

Hi,Well i think its a electrical problem,but i saw a Professor in London who thinks it my be Microvascular Angina (MVD)but i dont know,i stay in Scotland and has to see him privately as the cardios here say its anxiety and my tests so far have been normal buts its not anxiety so i self referred myself,i am a member of the BHF website but ive only ever looked up MVD discussions,maybe a should look into Bisoprolol there too...how are you? have you got a dx yet?

sandy xx

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

I started a discussion on Bisoprolol on the BHF website, my name on there is the same as here. I was born with a heart murmer (leaking mirtral valve) which has got worse over the last 12 months. Am currently having tests to find out whether I need surgery or not, so I have to be patient and wait and see.

I hope they will be able to sort you out soon ~ at least once they diagnose you properly, they will be able to treat you.

Maggie-ann

• Posted

I have been taking Bisoprolol for around 9 weeks now and started on 5mg for Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. I have had most of the side effects over that time and have gradually reduce the dosage to 1.25mg through discussion with my Cardiologist. I really would like to find an alternative with fewer side effects that controls my Afib.

Best wishes to all.....P

• Posted

does or can Afib cause chest pain? im having terrible pain and runs of fast beats that wake me at night,i also get sore quick hard beats.

• Posted

does or can Afib cause chest pain? im having terrible pain and runs of fast beats that wake me at night,i also get sore quick hard beats.

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.