Bisoprolol

Posted , 13 users are following.

Bisoprolol 5mg. I feel awful about 4 hours after taking these tabs. Drowsy and tired.

Absolutely good for nothing takes me all week to get housework done.

Had a doctor's appointment this morning and explained to him he said nothing

to do with the Bisoprolol. I asked for a change of meds but no go. Anybody

any ideas what to do now.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan I started taking bisoprolol end of August last year and felt the same as you for a while but persevered, it took about 3 months before I felt normal again although I do feel I have slowed down a tad but just put this down to age as I'm 70. Hope things improve for you soon.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I also take 5mg per day and found it took near enough 4 weeks before I felt the side effects wore off and it really began helping me.

If after 4 weeks you feel the same at least then you're GP can see you persevered with them and perhaps then he or she will be more open to trying you on an alternate beta blocker or medication.

Best of luck, let us know what happens and how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Susan

you don't say why you have been prescribed Bisoprolol. Usually it's to slow down the pulse rate. I have been on this drug for 15 years with minimal side effects. However, I did reduce the dosage because it was making me tired. I now take 1.25mg which reduces my PR from around 85 to mid 70s. I do this on an ad hoc basis. You may want to check with your doctor but it certainly works for me. Beta blockers do make you feel tired but it is dosage dependent. See if you can achieve the necessary result with a lower one. 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I have permanent AF and I also felt tired and weak initially taking Bisoprolol which has been incresed in increments now up to 10mg. I was taking Bisoprolol in the morning but have now changed to evenings which I found a lot better and I sleep very well. Hope things improve for you.

• Posted

Hello Drupe

just curious: what is your heart rate without the Bisoprolol? 10mg is very high. 

• Posted

Hi Barty, Typically in 80's and 90's but often hits 120/130 thats with Bisoprolol. Not sure without Bisoprolol as my AF started in 2010 after getting pneumonia and has been incresed in increments from 2.5/5/7.5 and now at 10mg.

• Posted

Sorry can't remember what Doc said.

Apologies to you all this is my 1st go on here.

• Posted

Hi Barty, I should also mention that I am also taking other medication than bisoprolol relating to my AF including ramipril (5mg) and amiodorone (200mg) plus statins and blood thinners.
    • Posted

The cardiologist would not prescribe Amiodorone to me so I asked her why? She told me that it was only prescribed to older people because of the side effects.
    • Posted

I can't believe I've just read that. So side-effects are ok for us oldies.I bet she told you that with a staight face. You have to laugh at some of these medics

• Posted

It was nearly twenty years ago when I was told that. I'm 63 now but, it was when I was in the observation ward and having a lot of ectopic heartbeats one after the other. I'd also read about Amioderone in a health magazine and thought it would help the SVT I was experiencing at the time.

• Posted

Susan - Could you share with us why you were prescribed Bisoprolol and whether you're taking it in conjunction with any other meds?

was prescribed Bisoprolol + Flecainide (for SVT/AF and they floored me) and I now only take 1.25 mg Bisoprolol but have also been told there is no alternative to keep my heart rate down - although I think it takes it too low but better that than having an attack of AF.

Is the Bisoprolol being prescribed by a Cardiologist or a GP?

• Posted

Had suffered with palpitations occasionally and New Years day went to hospital

Who sent me to main hospital with svt. A few years had been on

Bisoprolol 2.5 but hospital put me on 10 then down to 7.5 that was in a matter of 4 days.

When i got home told GP how i felt and put me down to 5 a couple

Of months ago.

• Posted

Sorry 1st time on here.

Suffered svt for years. Been on 2.5 for a few years. Admitted to hospital

• Posted

Put me on 10 then 7.5 . Next 5. Trying to tolerate them.
    • Posted

As you can see from all the sympathetic and supportive responses, Susan, you're not alone with having issues with Bisoprolol - which is no consolation when you're feeling washed out and tired. I think the next step would be to ask your GP to refer you to a Cardiologist and then get a holter monitor fitted so that they can see what your heart's doing on your current dosage so that both you, your GP and Consultant have a clear picture to inform the appropriate dose as it all seems to have been done by guess work up until now.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.