Bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on this 5 weeks and feel ill ... can this small tablet cause so much .... I really am a mess lightheaded  Breathless head feels weird like pressure tinnitus got real loud and much more 

Come of it 2 days ago  still feel as bad been put on nebivolol

Can stand this anymore 

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gary

Re Bisoprolol. I dislike this drug intensely. It has caused so many problems for me leaving me feeling the same way. May I ask you why you were put on it?

• Posted

Was on bisoprolol for about 5 years for atrial fibrillation. Side effects... extreme tiredness..falling asleep during the day, Head felt puddled...couldn’t think or make decisions easily, almost zombie like at times, occasional tinnitus...May have been the rampril, especially dizzy when I got out of bed, shaky on my legs, unable to stand for long without hanging on to something, wLking difficult as if I was walking in treacle, vision poorer...( since I stopped the Meds...I needed new glasses...my sight was so much improved), depressed at times. Itchy skin. Increased weight. 

I thought it was the a fib causing these problems. 

To cut this short...I’m now betablockers free. Side effects gone though I do have lower back pain...may be due to weight gain, bad posture. Read up bisoprolol buddies posts on here and you will find many have posted their experience of this medication. It took me ages to find this information. Thankfully I am now much more able to make informed decisions. I’ve had lots of trouble trying to get my gps to listen to my concerns. I hope that you find these posts as useful as I did. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth Sorry to butt in but how long did it take you to taper off this drug? What dose were u taking? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for that reply and boy can't believe a small tablet can do this 

Thanks 

• Posted

I was on 10 mgs bisoprolol, then after 5 years asked a new gp to change my betablockers. He then prescribed atenolol..10 mgs. I took this for more than a year, and again had the same side effects. I then found this site, read up the posts, read up betablockers...which said that if you had side effects to one betablockers then it would be likely to give the same problems. 

I saw my gp who then allowed me to reduce the atenolol to 5 mgs. I’m not sure if I was suffering still with the side effects of this med or if I was having withdrawal symptoms. Apparently they’re often very similar. I then decided I was going to stop the betablockers,so some may think I was unwise, but I cut the tablet in half for about a week,then cut the now 2.5 mgs ..scraping off little by little over a month. 

I had awful withdrawal symptoms...panic attacks, palps, hot flushes, dizzy episodes.. really it was all the side effects but much more intense. These symptoms would come and go and eventually they subsided and went completely. I had these for about 4/5 months...but I’d been on beta blockers for 6 years.

I have since seen a new gp,who accepted that I didn’t want to take these and has been understanding. I regularly took my pulse and be. The b pressure is ok, the pulse...fluctuates...but I’m feeling better without these Meds. I still take an anti coagulant and 2.5 mgs rampril. I need now to shift the weight I gained. Not easy. 

Hope this helps you. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for that reply 

How did u manage 5 years and then the withdraw for months 

Not nice 

• Posted

Don’t ask! I honestly thought it was the a fib causing me all the problems. I told my go about my problems...ie..dizziness , zombie state...but I never got a reasoned reply to my questions. I trusted his judgement, he never explained any of my symptoms could have been the side effects of the beta blocker. I must seem to those reading my post that I must have been an idiot...but I was unknowing then!  I saw another go...same problem...would not listen. When I described how I was feeling..she said..” bisoprolol is the medication for a fib. What do you want me to do?”. I asked her to change the bisoprolol...she refused and offered me a referral to see a cardiologist at our local hospital. He too was totally dismissive of my side effects being caused by the bisoprolol. He told me to continue with the bisoprolol and prescribed digoxin! My husband would verify just how unhelpful he was and   

Unwilling to have any dialogue with me. I decided to research the digoxin..I refused to take it. I’m not one for rocking the boat, being strong / determined or arrogant to think that I know best. Plenty of evidence not to take this drug either. Getting the dose right for this drug is essential. He didn’t explain this and told me not to go on holiday as “ we had more info  about me and we’re better “!

However, I really believe that one tablet does not fit all...I’ve read enough to believe my choice was the right one for me. I’ve a better quality of life now, but I’m still angry that I didn’t find out that these side effects were caused by the beta blockers. I know now that I have an intolerance to them. They may work for many,but they’re not for me. 

• Posted

Stopped biso 3 days ago feel like I'm hear but I'm not lightheaded head feels clogged legs feel like slugish 

Feel like I'm getting worst been put on nebivolol 

• Posted

Yes I know exactly that feeling...brain fog, legs in treacle. Withdrawal gives you more intense side effects than when you take the Meds. Well !it did with me! It’s the betablocker! 

Just watch the nebivolol . It’s a beta blocker too. I hope it works for you. 

• Posted

I am having further problems with cardicor. Last night whilst sitting down leaned forward ended up on the floor unable to get up, crawled into bedroom then bed. Just  got up feel awful, headache, legs very, very heavy. Don't know whether to take half of the b beta or not, on 1.25 mgms a day . xx

• Posted

I’ve been there...honestly. Reading your post brings back terrible memories of the betablocker. I’m no doctor, I speak only of how I’ve dealt with my problem ie side effects and then withdrawal from these drugs. It’s a difficult decision to make to wean off these drugs which may be life saving to some. 

Do you take bisoprolol for a fib? 

I wish that I had the answer, I know that my life is better without this drug and have given my husband instruction that whatever happens in the future...I do not want any betablockers to be administered.

I’m sad that you’re suffering and that there is no definitive answer. Sometimes I feel we have to listen to our bodies , read up everything and then make a decision. I hope that you’re feeling better now. Take care. 

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth I agree. I have taken it since 2008  take it for Long qt syndrome, was ok til just over a year ago and then started with a persistent cough, breathlessness . Peripheral neuropathy .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.