Bisoprolol and hair loss?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone experienced their hair thinning whilst taking Bisoprolol? I have been on it now for getting on for 4 years and in that time have noticed that my hair is much thinner than it was, yes I am getting older and know that hair can thin as we age as well, but wondered if this drug was contributing to it, all my life I have had really thick curly hair that often I couldn't get a brush through it let alone a comb but now I can see my scalp, also it has gone straight, I mean completely straight, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Thanks.

Phoebe

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did the doctor infact tell you it was from the biso?
    • Posted

It can't be proven at this present time but it is highly likely that is what caused it there is no other reason! That's enough to know it is especially as there is so many others with hair loss while taking it and beta blockers can cause it. 

• Posted

I was on beta blockers for 22 years.   I have been off them for 1 year.   My hair is the thickest its ever been.     However I also stopped dying it 2 years ago.    My hair was very fine and very thin it looks much better now and every one comments on how different it looks. 
    • Posted

Do you know alibalibea I hadn't given hair dye a thought, I have been dying my hair on and off since I was 15, I'm 64 now so logically that could be playing a very large part, I don't dye it quite as much these days though, perhaps now it is time to go grey gracefully smile.  

• Posted

I,ve been on bisoprolol 9 months and yes I noticed my hair is thinner, I always had a lot of hair.   One of the many side effects of this drug.
    • Posted

Ann

Maybe you need to speak to your Dr before it's too late! It has killed the follicles on my head which

Means my hair will never grown back. I'm going to stay bald. But I feel so much healthier being off them I can walk down my garden without being out of breath my body no longer aches and iv passed one kidney stone but still have another.

Please just take care and good luck x

• Posted

It makes me out of breath too.  I did notice lots of hair in my hairbrush actually!  I live outside London,I m not impressed with my doctor at all, he,
    • Posted

he,s Sri Lankan  and does not like referring you, I had a bad attack of svt which had to be put back with adenisone in February when I was put on bisoprolol.  I was getting lots of small attacks that went back on it’s own up to then.  Sorry about the 2 replies, the first one had a will of its own and jumped on.   I,m waiting to see a electrophysiologist, I will chase I will chase it up after Christmas, I don,t think I could go through an ablation, they want to check whether I have a fib.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.