Bisoprolol dizziness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ... just started small dosage of bisoprolol as a remedy for paroxismal atrial fibrillation.  A little concerned at the dizziness and 'spaced out feeling' I'm getting.  Looking for reassurance that this is harmless and my body adjusting!  Heart and blood pressure normal though. 

Can anyone reassure me?

John

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cape 1234 they do have this effect for a while then it settles. The main problem with these seems to be tired, no energy and cant walk far. I just came off them again as me and betablockers dont het on. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi John, I started on 2.5mg of Bisoprolol and also felt spaced out, lethargic, no energy, breathless, didn't help my PAF either. My doctor kept increasing it up to 10mg and I felt awful - very depressed and still didn't help PAF. Am now on Diltiazem and back to Bisoprolol 2.5mg - this seems OK and depression lifted thank goodness. The side effects do seem to lessen as time goes on and taking the Bisoprolol at night has helped the tiredness and stopped the morning episode of AF I was getting daily. I've found things do improve, if slowly but see how you go and all the best.

Maggie

• Posted

Bisoprolol and metoprolol both have horrible side effects. A lot of people have an intolerance to beta blockers as i do. Diltiazem is a lot more sufferable and gp's will prescribe these as an alternative. Stay positive everyone we are all here for each other.
  • Posted

I started on 2.5mg per day and, when not sleeping (and I slept an enormous amount) was constantly spaced out.   After 3 months, my  GP finally agreed to reduce the dosage by half and there is a definite improvement.  Interesting that Wendybendy1 says she can't walk far because I was complaining of that too and the medics were unwilling to admit that it related to Bisoprolol.  

Good that your heart and blood pressure normal.  I think you do need time to adjust but, if symptoms continue, speak to your doc and find out if he/she is prepared to prescribe a lower dose or consider an alternative.  My doc agreed to lower my dosage but stepped up the monitoring process.  I now go in weekly to have blood pressure and pulse checked.  So far all okay.  Good luck.

• Posted

Do you not have a BP monitor to do your own readings? Many people find that less stressful home readings are lowerand more accurate. 
  • Posted

Hi

I have been left very much to myself over medication.  If something is intolerable for you (and Bisoprolol was for me) then you have to speak up and protest for an alternative.  In my own case, I decided to try life without it completely and so far so good as far as my pulse rate goes, though I appreciate this could change any time and further decisions will have to be made on treatment.  For instance, I take my blood pressure daily now and on 'spike' days, I will take a lowering pill (Valsartan is my tried and tested choice).  

Now I am told to take an anti-arrthymic pill as and when I feel it is necessary, rather than a blanket approach (well, again at least for the time being).  Many people here learn to live with Bisopropol if taken at a different time of day, or a decrease in dosage might improve things, but essentially it is an individual decision as to what you can and cannot tolerate.  You will see that very many of us here found the fatigue too much to bear, but others have learnt to live with it.  

It is very early days for you as yet, so see how you go over a month or so before making up your mind whether or not you can cope.

• Posted

Hi. John, I  am new to this site and had lovely messages of support from  Maggie I wish I could say it gets better but me not yet I have been on Bisropolol since March as well as dabigatran and then in July I was put on Amoidarane I must admit I though I was getting used to the Bisropolol but whether or not these other drugs have worsened my symptoms I'm unsure. I too feel very lethargic and weak almost a feeling of been unwell all day, my arms feel heavy and weired and legs like lead weights sometimes.   Some days I get very down I suppose it's because I dwell on it too much instead of being strong and getting on with it (just a softy I suppose).Any way just cause I'm feeling like this doesn't mean you will but if anyone else has these side effects I would be grateful for any help.  I've had 2cardio versions so hopefully the second one has worked. Whoop whoop.
    • Posted

Amiodarone disturbed my equilibrium any small turning, bending  movements like you make in the shower or in the kitchen made me dizzy.

Have you Googled the history of amiodarone?

Are you on Warfarin as well?

• Posted

Hi Derek thanks for your reply no I'm not on Warfarin I'm on Dabigatran a new blood thinning drug it too probably has terrible side effects. I know what you mean with bending and cetain moves makes you go light headed or dizzy I also feel that I flush up in face sometimes.
    • Posted

Hi Glitzy

I was Warfarin intolerant and have been on Dabigatran (Pradaxa 150 mg twice daily) for nearly six months now.  Apart from a little diahorrhea at first, I have no side effects whatsoever from this drug and am happy with it and in my own case, this will be a lifelong treatment.  My husband is on Warfarin, and I am so glad I don't now have those blood test needles and dietary restrictions, let alone the hair and nail loss and nightmares I experienced.  We all have different reactions to all sorts of different drugs and the experiences of others are  a very useful guideline.  Give it a try first!

• Posted

Bisoprolol can cause flushing. I am not allowed the new anti coagulants as I had my aortic valve replaced. There seems not a lot to choose from between them and Warfarin when it comes to sde effects.

Did you start Amiodarone before or after your cardioversion?

• Posted

Hi Derek  I've had 2cardio versions the first one lasted about 8weeks doc said this can happen.   He then put me on Amiodarone about 4  weeks before my 2nd cardio version which I suppose I've got side effects of these tablets too. 
    • Posted

My first one lasted from Septemer 2012 until December 2013. I had the second one in March of this year. As each was caused by a medical procedure I'm gonna avoid that sort of thing in future:-)

Actually I had prostate surgery in June of last year that went without adverse effects.

When I went into AF lasst year the consultant put me back on Warfarin and Bisropolol and said that I would need to be on Warfarin for eight weeks before having the cardioversion. I asked if I needed to take Amiodarone as well. He said that the Bisropolol would be suffiient but when two months later I got a stupid registrar at my next appointment she said that as I had an cardioversion that had failed I could not have another one!  I soon corrected that missed day in her education. She then said that I could not have the cardioversion unless I took Amiodarone  for two months and she knew that I would not want to do that as I had previously stopped it because of side effects. I said that I would in that case take the Amiodarone under sufferance.

Her letter to my GP was full of errors on the symptoms I had told her of and her questions that I had answered and when I told him of her other statements he sent her a letter. I hope she was transferred to a department more suited to her lack of cardiology knowledge.

• Posted

Hi Derek, Hope you are well it's awful when you get someone who doesn't

know what they are talking about we all need reassuring at times like this.

i was put on Amiodarone before my second Cardioversion so I hope it's worked. I will find out in a couple of weeks time. Keep smiling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.