Bisoprolol horrendous effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm not the patient myself, but am a worried daughter. My dad recently had a heart attack (approx 8 weeks ago). He was put on 2.5mg of Bisoprolol by the cardiologist. Other than being a bit more tired and achy he initially started off ok. The last couple of week, though, he has had awful symptoms (all listed as side effects of Bisoprolol). His legs, ankles and feet gave swollen up, he is breathless when only mildly exerting himself, his joints are really stiff and painful, his usual very healthy appetite has diminished to next to nothing. His stomach has also bloated. Not sure if this is from bisoprolol-related weight gain, or bloating for another reason. Every little task seems a big chore. its like he's suddenly deteriorated into an old man over the last few weeks. Last week he saw GP who agreed to let him halve the dose to 1.25. He said the breathlessness has marginally improved, but i guess its early days. Could it be the Bisoprolol has now built up in his system, making the side effects more intense? Has anyone else had side effects like this? I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, as at the moment he has little quality of life. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone through/is going through similar. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

He had a heart attack and he is only getting Biosoprolol ? Surely not.

I could not take bisoprolol even at 1.25 mg either but I only had atrial fibrillation.

• Posted

he's on a concoction of meds. water tabs, blood thinners, something that opens up the arteries. sorry i cant be more specific. he was on lots of meds before as he had MI last year too, and angina for many years. The blood thinners, water tablets and bisoprolol are the recent additions.

• Posted

I hope that he gets round the bisoprolol problem.

• Posted

@derek76 Thank you. if you dont mind me asking, did you have a bad experience with Bisoprolol?

• Posted

As I said I could not take it because of multiple side effects

• Posted

i recently was in hospital and was given 1.25mg of this drug. I immediately felt drowsy and when it wore off I could not recall what I had ordered for my dinner. I refused the next one as this drug is a beta blocker and as I am pacemaker dependent I queried this. Take care with the drugs they ask you to take.

• Posted

It shows how strong this medication is if it affected you that badly after one dose, especially on such a low dose. Hope you're doing ok now.

• Posted

I am now restored to normal, though I have to say that I am sensitive to drugs and have difficulty finding suitable ones. But you are right these are very powerful drugs. Research them well before taking.

• Posted

hi my dad also takes these due to suspected angina he was also very nervous about the reviews he read on bisoprolol, hes on 2.5mg and hes not had any side effects at all so I think it varies between different people but he was expecting bad side effects, so hope your dad finds the right medication.

• Posted

Thats good to hear. Yes, youre right, it does affect everyone differently. I'm glad your dad has had a good experience with them. For some people it works great. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

my dad has now been confirmed to have 2 narrowed arteries which hes going need 2 stents fitted which I hope is very soon hes only 58. so they are now taking him off bisoprolol and putting him on another beta blocker and statin and also aspirin which he takes daily anyway, how old is your dad If you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Hi ben85014, my dad is 73.

I hope the stents really help your dad as 58 is still young. I bet he'll feel a real difference after. Did your dad have any bad side effects ti the Bisoprolol?

• Posted

hi he doesn't get any pains in his chest unless he does exerting things like at he does at work but hes told his boss now that hes awaiting minor surgery to his heart so hopefully they don't have my dad mauling heavy stuff, the bisoprolol was only temporary he was on it for 6 weeks because his heart was around 74bpm at rest for the dye test which they check for blockages it needed to be around 65bpm but for the 6 weeks he was on them he had no side effects I asked him because I read up about it and I knew of bad reviews about this drug.

• Posted

hi my dad is now back on bisoprolol has been for 5 days because it's now confirmed he needs a heart bypass not stents as his arteries are very damaged and again hes had no side effects from the bisoprolol and hes also taking blood pressure tablets and a new one I've never heard of relsorb xl which is like the angina spray I believe but it constantly opens the arteries so low risk of anything serious happens while he awaits the operation.

• Posted

Hi @ben85014 im glad your dad has had no adverse reactions to Bisoprolol. it sounds like he's on a good combination of meds till he has his surgery. Hopefully it will be onwards and upwards now 😃

• Posted

hi well there has been a change they are not opting for the bypass because of the risks his veins have shrunk the ones feeding blood to his arteries so they think 4 stents will work but he will need them doing again within 7 years, and yes hes still on bisoprolol and 3 other meds to stabilise only side effects he gets is dizziness due to his blood pressure lowering quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.