Bisoprolol horrendous effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm not the patient myself, but am a worried daughter. My dad recently had a heart attack (approx 8 weeks ago). He was put on 2.5mg of Bisoprolol by the cardiologist. Other than being a bit more tired and achy he initially started off ok. The last couple of week, though, he has had awful symptoms (all listed as side effects of Bisoprolol). His legs, ankles and feet gave swollen up, he is breathless when only mildly exerting himself, his joints are really stiff and painful, his usual very healthy appetite has diminished to next to nothing. His stomach has also bloated. Not sure if this is from bisoprolol-related weight gain, or bloating for another reason. Every little task seems a big chore. its like he's suddenly deteriorated into an old man over the last few weeks. Last week he saw GP who agreed to let him halve the dose to 1.25. He said the breathlessness has marginally improved, but i guess its early days. Could it be the Bisoprolol has now built up in his system, making the side effects more intense? Has anyone else had side effects like this? I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, as at the moment he has little quality of life. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone through/is going through similar. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi simsim100,

I feel for your dad. My hubby had a heart attack in February 2018, he came out of hospital with about seven tablets yo take per day one being bisoprolol. This drug caused the same side effects as your dad and some, he felt like an old man. We went to see the GP and explained all the side effects and he said stop taking it, which he did, his blood pressure went a bit haywire for a couple of weeks but, it settled back down. We have now got him off most of the drugs, he takes only aspirin and eplerenone. I personally think bisoprolol is a nasty drug that should not be prescribed.

• Posted

Hi jen86183, thank you so much for your response. Im so pleased your husband is off most of his meds now, including Bisoprolol. what a relief.,

My dad went to see GP today and explained in depth all his symptoms. The GP said that he can come off Bisoprolol. he slso confirned that recent blood tests he had done recently came back showing my dad was anaemic. His HB was 9.7, which is pretty low for a man. He sent him to hosp today to get bloods checked again, and the hospital are getting some iron infusions into him. The anaemia coukd def be contributing to his awful symptoms. im hoping that coming off the Bisoprolol and getting his iron levels up will help him feel much brighter. They think the anaemia could be due to the fact hes on two lots of blood thinners.

Thanks again for your response.

• Posted

Hi

Yes, I had similar side effects taking this medication. Bloated stomach, exertion walking even three steps. Breathlessness, swollen feet and legs. I couldn't even drink a glass of water without feeling short of breath.

I was given another medication. I hope your dad is ok. If the lower dose does not help go back to your GP or cardiologist because not everyone can tolerate this medication.

• Posted

Hi ana36, thank you for your comment. Im glad you were put on alternative medication. Have you felt much better on it? My dad is now off the Bisoprolol. I think it may take a while to properly come out his system? but he's already feeling a bit brighter. hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Posted

Hello simsim100

Yes I am much better on new medication (digoxin). I can understand the worry you go through so sometimes its's good to communicate anything to your doctors. It does not make us paranoid or a pest. I am happy to hear your dad is feeling better, the medication takes a little while to leave the system but everyday is a step forward and in the right direction.

Best wishes to you and your dad

Ana36 x

• Posted

ana36 thank you so much. im pleased you are now so much better. All the best to you too for x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.