Bisoprolol, pvc beats and anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I became ill about a month ago at work. Dizziness, palps, shivery, very flu like. This went on for a few week until i visited the gp. He took bloods and said i was fine, plenty of rest needed. A week later i was back. The headaches, palps at night, cold sweats, dizziness and lightheadedness had no let up. I was prescribed sertraline for anxiety (the doctor seemed to think i was anxious) which i took for 3 days before collapsing and ending up in a&e and being told that im not to take sertraline anymore. An ecg showed ectopic beats and pvc beats for which i was kept for a heart echo and given bisoprolol 2.5

After being discharged I decided the 2.5 was not for me and asked the doctor after another trip to a&e if i could go for the smaller 1.25 dose which they agreed. Its been 2 weeks and its still leaving me totally floored. Vivid dreams, tired all the time, dizzy spells and feel like im walking uphill almost any time i exert myself. Is this normal? I do seem to have a spell once a day where i get really dizzy and my legs feel like they are made from jelly and i cant catch my breath and i dont know if this is anxiety or the bisoprolol. My gp was hesitant to prescripe me anything else for anxiety or any bensoz to calm me down as in the hospital i was showing signs of hyperventilating.  I feel so lost and like my life is over. Im in my mid 20s

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Read up bisoprolol buddies on this site. You’ll find that so many of us have had these side effects from bisoprolol. We all know how you feel because we’ve suffered the same as you. Read up on here, go back to your doctor and make sure he listens to you. Mine didn’t! It took 6 years of suffering before I had the courage to wean off these Meds. I have a fib. No side effects now...been off these for about 16 months. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have done some reading up and see that people seem to suffer terrible effects across all dosages high and low. Its been 2 weeks since i started taking these meds and while i do feel some of the side effects have lessened, the wave of dizziness and weakness that hits me once a day is totally unworkable physically and mentally. I was out walking last night as advised by the doctor and about a mile from home i felt as if i was going to die.  Im sure i have developed some sort of anxiety over this whole thing as i have never been sick or in hospital in all my life and now feel like my life has been turned upside down. I now have to compete with going to work 16miles away with a driving restriction due to my collapse and the stress of how im going to manage and provide for my family is not helping me
  • Posted

It sounds as if it is due to the bisoprolol, all beta blockers appear to be very similar. I would talk to your dr and ask for the med to be reviewed . Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I did speak to my gp a few days ago about it but he just reckoned he cant over rule the cardio doctors which i suppose is correct enough but how in gods name do i go about seeing a cardio doc in the near future as i cant put up with this much longer
    • Posted

Hi I had been on biso and the side effect were bad so the doctor change it to nebivolol and still getting some of the side effects ... they will change it with out speaking to the cardios 
    • Posted

Hi again The dr should contact the cardiologist on your behalf asap. I suggest giving the cardiologists pa a ring and asking her when the next earliest appointment is available. This will give u a way into discussing your problem and the hospital should give you an early appointment, the thing is not to put up with this. The drs have to act in the interests of patients.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply mate. Its quite frustrating just not feeling like myself at all. I feel like my gp just wamts to pin the whole thing on anxiety and i cant stress enough to him to that the only reason i possibly would be anxious is because im sick. Swings and roundabouts sums it up
    • Posted

You need to contact the cardiologist yourself in that case. The longer u stay on any drug that does not suit you the worse things will become. I have PM a video made by a dr on the subject.PLs see reply to Euni sent by mistake.
    • Posted

The gp had told me to give it a week or 2 to see if the side effects would go away and while i admit they have died down a bit its in no way an option to continue on like this. I have been out and about for the first time since the whole ordeal today and i feel rotten. I cant concentrate my eyes on anything and feel totally dizzy and lightheaded and detached. Whilst i was having some of these issues before the meds due to my heart condition i feel like they have been completely amplified since starting the drugs
    • Posted

can u e mail the cardiologists pa and ask for the info to be fwd on?

• Posted

I could always do so yes. The problem is that i was in the hospital over the easter break and as a result ended up seeing 3 or 4 different doctors over that time. Ive no idea where to start to track down whoever was in charge of my case unfortunately
    • Posted

GP is the best one to ask as will have the discharge letter. Or pa , ring up and ask for cardiology secretaries or PAs , explain that you are unsure of the cardiologist etc.
    • Posted

Now that you mention it i do recall a name on my discharge letter so i shall start there. 

Also does anyone find that the side effects of this stuff hits them in waves? Im aware of a constant feeling of not being myself but can function to do a bit of my daily business, but sometimes just waves of dizziness and vision focus/concrentration issues wash over me for a while.

• Posted

Yeah the doctor said part of it is anxiety when I seen him and they think this cause I have so many symptoms ...  not saying some of it is but this is the out come of beta blockers like the side effects I have is lightheaded dizzy breathless legs feel like lead and skin feels hot an flushed 

Not nice for anyone 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are struggling too gary.  Yeah at the start when i started feeling ill i had so many pains and prangs but since the bisoprolol its just a case of a backround feeling of fatigue and lethargy at all times but every so often i get a real overwhelming sense of dizziness and lighthead and like my eyes arent just working as they should.

Im due back to work this week and with my license now restricted until further notice i am accepting that i could have a stress/anxiety issue. My gp would not prescribe me anything to help on my last visit even though he thinks anxiety is an issue here

• Posted

I know how u feel and I think the worst thing is that u feel on ur own and u tell people close to u how u r feeling and how scary ur effects r but they just sort look over u .. I struggle nearly every day 

Feel for u and anyone else who is in this nightmare 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.