Bisoprolol, pvc beats and anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I became ill about a month ago at work. Dizziness, palps, shivery, very flu like. This went on for a few week until i visited the gp. He took bloods and said i was fine, plenty of rest needed. A week later i was back. The headaches, palps at night, cold sweats, dizziness and lightheadedness had no let up. I was prescribed sertraline for anxiety (the doctor seemed to think i was anxious) which i took for 3 days before collapsing and ending up in a&e and being told that im not to take sertraline anymore. An ecg showed ectopic beats and pvc beats for which i was kept for a heart echo and given bisoprolol 2.5

After being discharged I decided the 2.5 was not for me and asked the doctor after another trip to a&e if i could go for the smaller 1.25 dose which they agreed. Its been 2 weeks and its still leaving me totally floored. Vivid dreams, tired all the time, dizzy spells and feel like im walking uphill almost any time i exert myself. Is this normal? I do seem to have a spell once a day where i get really dizzy and my legs feel like they are made from jelly and i cant catch my breath and i dont know if this is anxiety or the bisoprolol. My gp was hesitant to prescripe me anything else for anxiety or any bensoz to calm me down as in the hospital i was showing signs of hyperventilating.  I feel so lost and like my life is over. Im in my mid 20s

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have all the symptoms you describe from the moment I took Bisoprolol. Been off any medication for a little over a year now and the symptoms are still with me but getting progressively worst.

It took me about 8 months to get anybody in the NHS to even investigate why I am so ill now, even though I told them the beta blockers had disrupted my Autonomic Nervous System. When somebody finally listened to me and referred me to an Autonomic Neurologist, the Neurologist did an autonomic blood pressure test that took five minutes and told me I now have Autonomic Instability.

My cardiologist who was quite reluctant to believe me and tried the old Anxiety fob off, has apologised to me, and even told me he now has another patient who has suffered the same as I due to Bisoprolol.

I am wondering if its been made wrong by another manufacturer which is why the NHS seem unaware of its problems, but so very many of us are now suffering from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.