Bisporol beta blockers side effects.

Posted , 9 users are following.

dear all,

have recently been diagnosed with heart problem and have been taking beta blockers,for a month.

immediate side effects were feeling feint when getting up,now gone.

new side effects much more severe,constantly having frequent very lose stools.

i now have very sore back passage,which is so bad,i can barely sit down.

GB

it has become very distressing, have seen doctor/various tests,but no real diagnosis.

has anybody had this,or similar,problem on beta blockers?.

regards,Richard

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i had so many side effects from bisoprolol..taken for afib. if you read biso buddies you will see my many earlier posts. youve just triggered my memory... yes i had loose stools..i hadnt recognised this as a side effect...but thinking about your post now... i also had loose stools ...going to the loo twice or three times a day. same when i was given atenolol.. neither of these meds worked for me. the side effects were so bad. i was on these meds for at least 8 years... following my gps advice. however..ive been off biso and atenolol for more than 2 years. the withdrawal symptoms were awful but i persevered and have not taken either of these for over 2 years.

many people have no side effects...and i may be foolish not to keep on these meds..BUT... i dont have the side effects now. i still have jittery heart feelings, a bit weak sometimes on my legs but other than that... i now have a clear head!can think ..not puddled! my hair isnt falling out! i dont fall asleep in the daytime! im not depressed?

! i go to the loo as normal... i hope this helps.

• Posted

Elizabeth.

Could you please explain what your withdrawals on biso were like. Did you wean off or just stopped them?

And how long did you do through the withdrawals.

What sort of physical things did you experience?

I went through hell just stopping biso

• Posted

Elizabeth,

Could you please tell me what biso buddies is and where can I find it

• Posted

go to the top of this page..see bisoprolol..click on this...scroll down and you will see bisoprolol buddies. theres lots of posts on there...also plenty of other ones too.

. i had a bad time whilst taking bisoprolol...years i suffered bad side effects. i thought it was the a fib id been diaganosed with. i asked my gp...who wasnt helpful...to change my beta blocker . i was then given atenolol. after 2 years...bad side effects i decided to taper the meds. it wasnt an easy decision! id felt tired, depressed, would fall asleep during the day! legs like lead and walking through treacle,weight gain,hair loss, cold muscles, difficulty in processing my thoughts, a scary blind eye moment...i had to go to AE. it wasnt a TIA.... and tests were inconclusive but clearly not a TIA. iI read up on the blindness and reckon there was enough evidence to blame the beta blocker! of course im no doctor.... but ive had no reoccurence. this finally prompted me to taper the beta blocker.

ive been beta blocker free for the past couple of years. i still feel some shakiness in my legs, still have jittery feelings all the time...other than that im much better . im still annoyed that i didnt stop these earlier. i suffered badly when i tapered off these meds. it took some time before the withdrawal symptoms subsided. i had panic attacks, hot flushes...very intense insecure feelings...lots of palps too.

i must add that these meds may be life saving for some and may cause no side effects. theyre not for me and i feel a whole pile better without them. i still take 2.5 rampril and rivaroxiban. i hope this helps you. excuse ant typing errors. all the best from me.

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth. I did find it and have been reading through all of the pages.

You sound very much like me. BUT, when I stopped the biso, I did not realize these were withdrawals from cold turkey. I though it was anxiety. My gp put me on a benzo and trazodone..BIG MISTAKE !!!. I was on them about 18 months. Then because I wanted another try at an ablation, I had to wean off the benzo and trazodone. That took 9 months to wean off. I went through hell. Even 20 months after i finally stopped I was still going through withdrawals.Waves and windows.

If I had only realized it was withdrawals from the biso. If I knew then what I know now.

Lost about 3 years of my life.

• Posted

same here...lost so much of my life...i trusted my gp and others including a cardiologist...all of whom dismissed my side effects... i was told that the beta blockers were not the reason! thankfully i found lots of info on here and on the web. i was then better informed...asked a new gp to change the beta blocker. she refused and i was referred to a cardiologist. same result...except he wanted me to add digoxin to my meds. l didnt and then saw another new gp. he reduced the beta blocker dosage. id had enough... so i decided to taper the betablocker. it was really difficult but after reading others experiences i knew i was in for a bad time! the side effects id endured for years were now more intense at times... the anxiety, palps, dizziness! weakness... etc. however id made up my mind that i was going to put up with it all. i cant remember how long the withdrawal lasted,but it was months. i read that it can take up to a year and some reckon that the body doesnt fully recover! not a joyful prospective.

Time passes so fast..im not sure when i made the decision to stop the meds but i think it about 2 years.

my afib is still a bother..ie..jittery feeling all the time... but i can and will cope with that. my husband knows that i will never take betablockers again. However...they work well for some...not ME!

sorry for my late reply. im having trouble trying to open the discussion on my e mail. hope ive helped.

• Posted

I myself have not Richard. I've been on beta blocker for 30 years, no side effects until they took me off them. Then sever, I mean severe withdrawals. Do not ever stop them cold turkey, even if your cardiologists tells you you'll be fine, you won't. I've read that your body can adjust and some of the side effects will go away with time. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Cold turkey from biso |I agree are severe. Interested in hearing what others say about that

• Posted

Hi as you may know I am withdrawing bisoprolol and have never felt so bad in all my life. At the moment I have severe insomnia, legs and arms twitching and anxiety like I have never had before. Still dont know wether I can make it to the end but I have been advised to come of it very slowly but that is evening causing me massive side effects.

• Posted

I had some of these while on it too and still do i went off Bisoprolo changed to Nebilet 6 months ago and at beginning but then insomnia and anxiety is worsenibg again now

• Posted

i really feel for you. I was only on bisoprolol for 2 months before I realised they were starting to give me anxiety. Went to docs and he said no they dont give anxiety they calm it down and gave me antidepressants. Needless to say I havent taken any as one of the side effects from these are anxiety. I have even contacted the firm that makes the tablets and they have admitted some of the withdrawal symptoms but not the anxiety and insomnia. some people dont suffer side effects but after reading all the messages on here I think the people who make the drugs should listen and take some action.

• Posted

I was exactly like that too, but I stopped cold turkey 5 days prior to an attempted ablation. The leg thing was the worst!!!! I could hardly walk. I have never had such shaking, trembling. Even sitting my legs were shaking. Awful!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for you reply. How are you now and if your ok how long after going cold turkey did you start to feel better. I cant plan anything as each day is different and I dont know whether it going to be a good or bad day. Every morning I get up like a zombie but after I have taken the biso the day starts to get a little better. ( false sense of security) I dread going to bed because I know I am going to feel dreadful in the morning.

• Posted

My situation is slightly different

When I stopped the biso, I went through extreme withdrawal.But at the time, I did not realize it was withdrawal and thought it was anxiety. I was put on trazodone and a benzo.BIG MISTAKE!!!!! I took those for 18 months, and then took additional 9 months after that to wean off. I wanted a second attempt at having an ablation done, and my EP wanted all drugs out of my system. That WAS the hardest thing I have ever gone through and lost 3 years of my life to it.

If I had only realized that what I was going through was biso withdrawal, I would have never takes the 2 additional drugs.

I know everyone reacts differently, but for me the withdrawal from biso was so intense.

IF i KNEW THEN WHAT i KNOW NOW..............

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.