Bladder issues - still unable to pee!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello again. I'm beginning to get really worried about being able to pee again without doing a self-cath. It's now 6 days post anterior and posterior repair surgery. I'm still generally retaining way more than I'm able to pee naturally. First thing in the morning/last thing at night are the worst. I'd really like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how long you had to self-cath for. No-one seems to be mentioning it as an issue, which makes me even more worried. Am feeling alone with this! Many thanks for any replies!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. When I had my op they tried taking my catheter out on day 3 but I wasn't emptying properly so they put it back in. I was told that after a big op the bladder sometimes just needs a bit longer to recover from the trauma so they I went home on day 5 with it still in and returned on day 7 to have it removed where I was emptying to their satisfaction. I wonder if yours was taken out too quick. I'm no expert so can't really comment but that was my experience. May it just need a bit more time to recover. Hope it sorts itself out soon for you. X

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. They took the catheter out the first time the morning after the surgery which did seem very soon. Fingers crossed it sorts itself out soon. 
  • Posted

I wouldn't be too concerned, it can take up to 14 days before you can pee on your own. What ladies don't realise is that in the 1970's and 80's women were in hospital for 2 weeks after this surgery so if that was the case you wouldn't worry too much because the nursing staff would be looking after you but having said that in some NHS Trusts you still wouldn't have bee discharged until you could pass urine without help.

• Posted

Many thanks, Matron, for your reply. Wish I'd been doing this way back then! I feel more relaxed and confident now knowing that it's not uncommon. Thanks again.

• Posted

I havent been on the site for some time but do get the updates and when I saw yours I had to send you through a note because I suffered very badly with peeing following my anterior/posterior repair in November 2015.  Like you I could not pee after the surgery! I was sent home with a catheter which was in situ for just over 6 weeks!  It was one of the most difficult times I can ever recall and I have a fairly complex and extensive medical history.  What made is worse is that the uro-gynae I used provided no form of aftercare whatsoever which made things a thousand times worse for me given the catheter got blocked and I was admitted to hospital as an emergency so that the nurses could remove and replace the catheter whilst I had stored close to 1400ml inside my bladder which could not release due to the blockage and even then the consultant was not available, did not answer her phone or email and the nurse had to obtain authority from the anaesetist to allow her to remove and replace the catheter, I was quite literally screaming in pain.  but I wanted to share with you that I was petrified I would NEVER be able to wee again but there is a LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL and you will be able to pee again!  It is not very common but it does happen to some people where the detrusor just goes to sleep and takes some tie to come back and function again but it WILL HAPPEN so do not depair and know that this will all be better very soon for you.  I didnt self cath but I had the catheter in place for a long time which was a very trying time for me given one of the reasons I had the surgery was to assist with bladder urgency and frequency which they thought may have been from the double prolapse!

It will all get better smile  I hope this gives you some comfort as it happened to me and I really do understand how you feel.

MAtron on this site is a PURE GEM.. She has a clear understanding of everything and can really help.. I only wish upon a star Matron had been on the private ward I was on which was nothing less than a huge nightmare!

I hope you are getting the support structure you need and the reassurance.. I hope I have put your mind at rest a little bit. 

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply, Lorelli. I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic time. How awful for you. As I menioned, I'm self-cathing so hopefully I won't experience what you did, although I now have a uti just to add to the fun. It's really encouraging to know that, even after all you went through, you're back to normal and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'll never take pee-ing normally for granted again! Many thanks again!

• Posted

Hello lorelli. It's lovely to hear from you on the forum again. I hope you are well xx

• Posted

yes I didnt self cath but you sounded so upset and I was totally and utterly distraught so wanted you to know that you were not alone!  I actually had surgery mainly to assist with the bladder urgency and frequency which sadly didnt happen or help but It knocked me for six when I couldnt go atall and I found it very frightening. I had nobody to talk to about it other than matron on this site who was more caring and more instrumental than the lady my insurance company paid to go on 12 cruises to the bahamas I should think!  I guess we all live and learn..Hope you feel much better very soon. am here if you need a shoulder at any time x
    • Posted

How are you dear Matron!  Still here helping everybody in their hour of need I see...  I am so so.. Had a rotten year fell and broke my wrist and endured another two surgeries and much pain.  Bladder still as it was so now on some new medication for that in the hope something will help.  Hope all is good with you and the family.  Truly amazing that you are still dedicated to all those patients who are distraught on this site!  You really are one in a million.  Sending you very best wishes for a lovely Easter in the sunshine smile  xx
    • Posted

I really appreciate it! Many thanks for taking the time to help. I'm definitely feeling less pessimistic. 

• Posted

smile ....  I was in such a bad way I cannot express to you how I was!  It will all work out well just takes time for us special ones!  smile
    • Posted

lorelli I remember you telling me about your broken wrist in a personal message. Regarding me posting on the forum, I keep telling myself that I have to stop, I don't have time but then I read a question from someone and just can't help responding. However I'm stopping my consultancy work and training in June so I think that will be the time to cut the cord so to speak. We'll see though. Hope you also have a lovely Easter and take care xx

• Posted

Hi Matron. Please don't leave us! You'll have more time if you're retired and we need you here! The hospitals have so little time now, so busy we don't all get the info and help we need. Happy Easter to you. Love Poll X smile

• Posted

Poll you are very kind. I'm supposed to be retired now but keep getting asked to do things for my local NHS Trust. That's what I intend to stop completely, not so much the forum, I worded the post badly xx

• Posted

I'm so relieved to hear that Matron. I go in for my op on May 8th so getting the 'jitters' a bit now! they have me down as living alone and elderly so hopefully everything will be ok. Pre op nurse said speak up if I don't feel well enough to go home on the 3rd day, I'd been worrying about being a 'bed blocker'! She said they won't let me go if I'm not well enough. I'd been listening to news reports in the winter with all the usual da de da from reporters. I hope you enjoy your retirement if 'they' let you go! wink X smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.