Bladder prolapse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Could anyone tell me what does a bladder prolapse feel like, can you feel the bladder dropping down through the vagina

Any information would be appreciated.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi, what took me to the Dr. was a feeling like a hot, prickly tampon had slipped down, the more I was upright, walking or standing, the more uncomfortable I was, I could feel something even when sitting. My prolapse wasn't severe, but couldn't imagine it getting worse, I equated it with waiting til my horse had 2 broken legs before treating it. I'm 5 weeks post op, very numb on left side of lady parts, and after being up for several hrs, get the sensation that something hot & prickly is working it's way out. Praying those sensations are the nerves waking up, it hasn't been a picnic, but again wouldn't want to wait til it was much worse. Hoping to hear from others that had re-occurring prolapse, & their behavior that might have contributed to it.

• Posted

Hello Yanet

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have been having a problem with a strange noise when I pee, it was almost like wind escaping, I am having a ultra sound scan on Sunday, since I spoken with my GP I felt a bit uncomfortable when I walk, and I could feel something when I sat down, so I had a feel in the shower last night and I can feel a soft lump inside my vagina, so I thought this must be a prolapse of some kind, I thought it is most certainly the bladder, I have had a hysterectomy many years ago.

Do you think the ultra sound scan will pick up a prolapse, I hope so as then I can move forward.

Did you consider the pessary ring, or doesnt this suit everyone.

• Posted

What is the operation like, is it done from the vagina or a cut in lower tummy.

• Posted

Your Dr will know if its prolapse just by doing exam.I tried a pessary the first time around but due to other pelvic/bladder issues I could not wear one,it was extremely painful for me.My repair was done completely through vagina,it is a big incision(not sure if its always like this or because this was a repeat and the prolapse was so bad)but it is not a walk in the park for sure.But once healed I know it will be better.Please reach out to me anytime,I know how hard it is to be in pain and not feel well

• Posted

You are so kind, I feel I have been through the mill, I had so many health issues and then I had to wait for CT colonoscopy results, it tipped me over the edge, and I have had very bad depression for nine weeks, I just started to feel a bit better then I had this worry, obviously until I have had this lump looked at its a worry, not knowing what it is.

So its nice to talk with someone that understands, I am elderly 77 .

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope its all been sorted out for you, I think you are braveX

• Posted

Thank you very much! Im taking 12 weeks off work so that I can heal correctly.The last time I had this done I did not listen as well as I shouldve,we had a new granddaughter who just turned 1(Im 47)Then I went back to a very physical job.I now work in an assisted living facility so theres no heavy lifting just on my feet most of the day.Please do not hesitate to reach out to me even to just vent!!! Its hard feeling like this.My children are 24 and 25 Im very blessed with a wonderful hubby and my daughter only lives a mile and a half away so she comes on her lunch to make me food and help with stuff since my husband wrks long hrs.I get catheter out mon so she will drive me let me know how ultrasound goes please

• Posted

Hi! I actually just had surgery 2 days ago for it(second time around,had it done 2 yrs ago)I had alot of pressure and like a pulling feeling.Lots of back pain also.I stayed overnight and cath came out next morning,however could not pee so it went back in.I was discharged home with it til Monday.My bladder had fallen really bad,was hanging under urethra and coming out of vagina

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply..

I have been having a strange noise when I pee, so Doctor arranged a ultra sound scan, I am having it on Sunday.

When I walk I have noticed a sort of bulging feeling and when I sit down, so last night in the shower I thought I would have a feel, I can feel a soft lump inside my vagina, so I think its a bladder prolapse.

Do you think it will show on the ultra sound, its being done on my kidneys and bladder.

Did you have a option of a pessary?

Is it a big operation and is it done from lower tummy or key hole, I have had a hysterectomy years ago.

Any information will help me, I am just recovering from depression due to lots of health problems.

• Posted

Hi! I actually just had surgery 2 days ago for it(second time around,had it done 2 yrs ago)I had alot of pressure and like a pulling feeling.Lots of back pain also.I stayed overnight and cath came out next morning,however could not pee so it went back in.I was discharged home with it til Monday.My bladder had fallen really bad,was hanging under urethra and coming out of vagina

• Posted

I just felt a lot of pressure but no pain. To me it felt like the same sensation as when i was pregnant and the baby had dropped, lol. If I looked, I could see a bulge in my vagina.

• Posted

Hello

And thank you for your reply.

I am having a ultra sound scan on Sunday, I have been having a strange sound when I pee.

I have noticed when I walk it feels like a lump, and when I sit I can feel this lump, its not a huge amount just a bit, so last night in the shower I thought I would check, and I can feel a soft lump in my vagina.

Do you think the ultra sound scan will pick this up?

I intend going back to see my Doctor after I have had the ultra sound scan, so I will tell him that I have this lump inside my vagina.

What is the operation like, is it a cut or is it done key hole.

I had a hysterectomy many years ago.

Any information will really help me.

• Posted

Yes, it can feel like a ball. And yes, if you feel a soft lump, that is probably your bladder pressing on your vaginal walls. At least that's the way it was for me. My doctor did not need an ultrasound to diagnose - all diagnosis was done with a pelvic exam. She could see straight away that I had a bladder prolapse, and I also had a rectal prolapse and uterine prolapse. A pessary was an option, but I'm 44 and decided to go with surgery. I had been in menopause for a year due to Rheumatoid Arthritis (a rare side effect of RA can be early menopause). For the surgery, my doctor performed a hysterectomy and attached my vaginal canal and the top of my bladder (somehow) to my sacrospinal ligament. She made incisions on the front and back of my vagina and then sutured it to reinforce the vaginal walls. The idea is that this will hold back the bladder and rectum and keep the vagina from collapsing. The initial days after surgery were VERY painful for me. But I'm on week 5 now and feel really very good. Everything seems to be holding up just fine. I did have to have a catheter for a week after surgery, but it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I just didn't want to deal with a pessary.

I did have an ultrasound initially as well, but I think it was just to check to make sure my uterus was ok as they thought my early menopause was strange. Everything just looked menopausal. Then they confirmed all the prolapses with the pelvic exam.

• Posted

Thats the feeling I have but its bearable, after I have had the ultra sound I will see my GP just to have it confirmed or a GP, getting an appointment in my neck of the woods is very difficult.

I am 77 about 20 years ago I had major spinal surgery, it helped but it didnt cure it.

I just hope the ultra sound picks it up, I am having it done on bladder and kidneys, I may just mention it to who ever does the ultra sound.

This year has not been a good one for me, I have had lots of health issues, the final straw was waiting for the CT colonoscopy results, and the very next day I had a very bad urine infection, I have had bad depression for 9 weeks but started to feel better then this problem, so will be glad to find out whats going on.

Thank you so much talking to people who have experienced this has helped me a lot.X

• Posted

It helps so much to talk to someone who has gone through it - I know how you feel! I would definitely mention it to the ultrasound tech, but definitely try to see a gynecologist if possible. I had MANY UTIs before I had the surgery....that's a main reason I had it. One of them showed e coli bacteria, and then I had to go to an infectious disease doctor because that can be very dangerous for me as I have a suppressed immune system. It can be sooo depressing to deal with all this. I also suffer from depression and anxiety... I take medication for it and it helps immensely. If you don't already, you may want to consider trying an anti-depressant medication. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Having all these health problems can be so depressing....you just want to feel healthy and good and normal.

• Posted

That is so good you understand what its like to get depression, yes I am on fluoxetine 40m I have been on them for nine weeks 10 next Tuesday, I had them before many years ago, but couldnt remember what I felt like when I started to get better, the side effects were dreadful, I was not able to sleep or eat, and had dreadful hot feeling throughout my body, and also very shaky, I had stayed on 20m fluoxetine for years, but my Doctor then two years ago wanted me to ween off them, it was the worst thing I could have done, I had more confidence and could cope, so I should not have stopped them, I went through hell this time, I also suffer with anxiety, and worry about everything, I kept getting blips this time like one day feel ok next day bang it was awful, I had dreadful low mood and no interest in anything, but I am getting there, its been hard I have had no support from my GP, I was given the tablets and left to get on with it, I have a good supportive Husband.

Yes I just want to feel ok and not have to worry about health issues, I will mention it to the technician before she starts, holding 1.5 pints for over an hour is what I am worried about, I go to the toilet a lot.

Just be glad when its over now.

Lovely hearing from you thank you Xa

• Posted

when did you begin to feel better? I know Im very early in recovery(surgery was tues)I am still in extreme pain....Dr sent me home with percocet

• Posted

I had EXTREME pain the first week. I had to call and get more pain meds. I've had multiple surgeries and to me this pain was worse than anything. I was nervous something was really, really wrong bc my doc didn't prepare me for that. That's when I found this discussion board - wondering if it was the same for others. I found out it was. For me, the most severe pain was in my buttocks (right side) and subsided a bit once I got through constipation issues, but lasted a good 1 1/2 weeks. Then I was taking tons of ibuprofen every day for about the next week. When I hit three weeks I started feeling better to the point that I could go places and not bring my stupid pillow seat with me, lol. I'm at five weeks as of yesterday and am really feeling good now. I have pretty much no pain, but still find if I'm on my feet a lot I become "aware" of my vagina, if that makes sense. Like others have said, it kind of feels like a tampon improperly inserted. So I am still resting and taking it easy. Doc gave me six weeks off work, but I'm a teacher and we have a two week break after next week, so I'm grateful I don't have to go back until 8 weeks. It WILL get better. I didn't believe it would, but it did. Hang in there!

• Posted

Ugh! Terrible that your doc isn't responsive and supportive. That's just terrible. Are you from the UK? It seems like many people on here are, and some of your phrases seem British. I'm from the US and am lucky with my health care because I have excellent insurance through my job. I had talked about going off anti-depressants about 10 years ago and my doc said no way! haha! She knew my family history. Since then I even have had to increase my dosage. I'm on Lexapro and very happy with it. I will never go off it. Life is so much more manageable with it. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I hope all goes well with the ultrasound. I can't imagine it will take that long to do the ultrasound...mine was only about 15 minutes.

😃 good luck and hang in there!

• Posted

I feel like this pain is also pretty extreme! It was almost impossible to find anything to help it immediately after surgery.Even with percocet and vicoprofen theres still alot of pain and discomfort.I'm off work for 12 weeks and I plan on taking it extremely easy since this was 2nd surgery for this.What meds did you take that seemed to help best? Thank you

• Posted

I had my ultra sound today, she said there was no air in the bladder and kidneys and bladder working fine, but she couldnt tell me if I had a prolapse, so I will be contacting GP in the morning.

Thought I would just let you know the outcome.

• Posted

Thanks for the update! you are wise yo follow up with GP please keep us updated! Have them do a pelvic exam,they will ask you to cough and they can tell you right then if its prolapse

• Posted

My doc sent me home with Norco, which didnt really help, so then she gave me percocet. That did help me more.

• Posted

Thank you for the update! I'm glad the ultrasound went well. I agree you need to follow up with your GP. When i had my pelvic exam, they had me bear down to measure the prolapse. Good luck!

• Posted

Just an update, went to the GP surgery, had an internal, also with spectrum, it was a bit painful.

Anyhow she is 99% I have a small prolapse of the bowel, she said it was nothing to worry about, but she wants a another Doctor to take a look on Jan 9th, she said she doesnt think it will need anything doing, if anything just a ring but she said it may not even need that, yes I had to cough, she said you must never get constipated, she managed to push it back with her finger.

So I feel more reasured now, are you in the UK as I am.

Would love to hear back from you on your thoughts.

• Posted

So glad it went well!!! I agree; I think the key is to not get constipated. That has helped me immensely. I take fiber supplements daily as well as a stool softener. I also had my surgery follow-up yesterday and my doc said everything looked great... I was so relieved! I go back to work in about 2 1/2 weeks (I'm a teacher and have a holiday break). I actually live in the US, in a small town in New York. I visited the UK for the first time this past summer and LOVED it. Amazing, kind, wonderful people!

• Posted

I am pleased you had a good report from your Doctor, thats good but dont rush back to work to fast, we have teachers Doctor and nurses in the Family, they are all pretty taxing jobs, so make sure you are 100%.

Yes I take a fiber supplement, I have a dessert spoon of organic blonde psyllium husk mixed in with my porridge each morning, what sort of stool softener do you use, I buy the psyllium from amazon, its a natural fiber. although our Grandchildren are in the medical field, we never like asking them about health problems, especially not about a prolapse.

Its very wet hear in the uk, we live in a village in Taunton Somerset, West Country.

• Posted

Yes, I'm a little worried about work because I'm also the drama director and I have rehearsal evening after teaching all day. My students are wonderful, however, so they will be understanding. I take Citrucel for fiber and then Colace as a stool softener. Colace is what every doctor recommends here. I take one in the morning and one in the evening, though I could probably cut back to just one a day now. I was super cautious post-surgery.

It's snowy here... we have about 5 inches on the ground at the moment! The temperature is terrible... below freezing. Brrr!

• Posted

Hi

I was wondering how you are getting along, do you think you will feel ok to work, its a big operation you need to be certain you will be ok standing for long periods of time.

Since I went to the Doctor I have noticed I have another lump its close to the vagina opening, do you think its the same one, and its just moved closer to vaginal opening, it feels softish, not a hard lump, butI found it more difficult to feel very far inside my vagina, now I am thinking maybe I should see if I can get a earlier appointment, I am not due to go the see a GP until Jan 9th, any advise.

Wishing you a Very happy and healthy New Year. Ann

• Posted

Hi! I'm doing MUCH better now. I'm about at the 7 1/2 week mark, and I have no pain at all. Feeling very good! I think I will be fine to be back at work.

I think it could be the same lump...just the prolapse has dropped a bit further. To me, it felt kind of like a soft but firm bubble when I touched it. I don't know if yours feels that way. I think you are probably ok to wait for the January 9 appointment...After my initial diagnosis (and my prolapse was almost out of my body)they gave me an appointment for two months away. So clearly they didn't think it was super serious! My doc said some women will go years like that...and that the surgery isn't necessary, it's just how much I'm willing to tolerate in terms of discomfort. Because constipation was a problem because of the rectal prolapse, I wasn't willing to deal with much discomfort, LOL. Also, I was getting a lot of urinary tract infections, and I didn't want to deal with that anymore. But they told me that it wasn't URGENT or anything. My doc said she has seen some women that have things literally coming out of them - and they deal with it. Not me!

Please keep me posted! Hope all goes well and that you have a good new year!

Darby

• Posted

Hi! I was just hoping your doctor's appointment went well. You said it was the 9th so I was thinking of you today. It's been harder than i thought back at work. Being on my feet all day is tough because I start to feel weird pressure again and then I'm sure things are sagging. So i am trying to teach from a chair and also direct a musical from my chair! Not easy! Anyway, hope all went well with you today!

Darby

• Posted

So sorry I havent replied before but only just found your message.

You need to be very careful standing lots because you could prolapse again, and that would be dreadful after going through the operation.

Just hope you can see an improvement each day.

I went to see a Doctor on New Years Eve, it worried me as I had prolapsed even more, I could just feel it in the opening of my vagina, felt soft gave me the creeps, he took a look and said I have a vaginal prolapse, so I have been referred, but I have private health so I am going to use that,the NHS appointment is on March 30th, but I will be seen withing a week or two private.

I cant look at it or feel it now it makes me cringe, I will see what he/she suggests is best and go from there.

Hope you have had a good dayX

• Posted

I'm so glad you have private health care and can get in sooner than March. I know, it's the worst feeling!! I'm sorry that you have a prolapse, but maybe the surgery won't be major, or they can suggest a pessary. I am doing better this week. I've been sitting a lot while teaching and refuse to lift anything. I make my students move stuff if I need it moved! But I am finally starting to feel "normal" again. I'll be thinking of you! Hope everything goes well. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.