Bladder retention, fibroids and hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello 

Well,  having spent most of the evening waiting to be catheterised again for bladder retention, was wondering if anyone else has this as a delightful side effect of fibroids?

This is the second time it’s happened, the first was beginning of September. Then they told me it would have been an infection not because of the fibroid. 

This time they didn’t deny it and said it was the fibroid causing the problem. It’s supposed to be 8cm but to me feels a lot bigger than that filling the area just under my belly button. 

Upshot was I was sent home with catheters until Friday.  Told to drink plenty to help things recover. Have a tender tummy today from it. 

Will see gynaecologist again December. I’m on Esmya since 19 October, just hope it’ll kick in soon to reduce it enough to relieve my bladder. Every trip for a wee is a strenuous one as it is - without these retention episodes too. Any tips how to help with weeing and stop bladder retention anyone?

I want my life back!  I want to rid myself of them completely knowing they’ll never come back and my bladder will be free. 

A lot of the forums on here are anti-hysterectomy, which I totally get, but wondered if there’s any positive experiences?  Is anyone like me, six wks recovery but peace of mind?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How old are you? Do you want further children?

If it happens again - try altering your position to pee. Lying down might help - as it would get the fibroid off the top of your bladder. I know its not particularly hygienic, but maybe try in the bath?

I think if its causing urinary retention - Myomectomy or Hysterectomy would be advisable.

• Posted

Hi Sophie. 

Bladder pressure has been one of my main symptoms: retention as well as frequency. It was very distressing to begin with before I knew it was a result of fibroids.

I find that my symptoms of bladder pressure reduce significantly when I eat an anti-inflammatory diet. That means excluding gluten, dairy and sugar for me. 

One thing that saved me from going to hospital to be catheterised when the retention was really impossible was to put my fingers inside the Vagina and push upwards on the mass of the fibroid which could be felt inside. It allowed the urine to flow by releasing the pressure on the blockage. You get urine on your hand but it’s way better than Hospital!

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Same thing happened to me last night.  I woke up in the middle of the night and could not pee and started to panic.  Luckily I had an incident a couple of months ago where I couldn’t pee but was able to after removing a tampon.  Last night though I was not wearing a tampon, but because of the previous issue I got the idea to try to move it myself and it worked.  First I actually inserted an applicator (not fully inserting the tampon) then removed it and got a little trickle.  Then I used my fingers to gently push (insert in vagina) on the fibroid and was able to go. Definitely worth a shot before going to the hospital!  
  • Posted

Hello both

Thank you for your interesting replies. 

Well I don’t want anymore children, mine are 17 next month and 20 come February. I’m 46 yrs old so menopause could a while away. 

Thanks for the tips about diet and the trick for the bladder retention. The whole going to the hospital and  waiting forever to get sorted not to mention the pain and discomfort it’s not enjoyable. 

Fibroids have a lot to answer for!

• Posted

Hi,

I had the same as you - with a bladder infection that lasted over a year because I simply could not produce flow to clear it. I am now 8 months post UFE, and much better. I can wee again!

I may still opt for to have them removed because they are just THAT big and I cannot do sit-ups properly...but the relief for my bladder is real & I still have my uterus!

Good luck. My heart is with you. 

• Posted

Hi Scubagal

Poor you, must have been horrid having an infection like that. Anything not right with the waterworks is horrible. 

I was offered UFE but for some reason she thought it wouldn’t be that successful. For me, the thought of never having debilitating periods and constant battles with weeing and potentially more retention- hysterectomy would be the only 100% guaranteed way to get rid. I do respect people wanting to keep their uterus completely, but for me keeping it means problems. 

• Posted

I've tried it all but in my experience for very large fibroids, the only way to be free is hysterectomy. Of course myomectomy is always an option but they often come back, so if child bearing years are over, having an operation & a quality of life back seems the option I didn't want to have to take but probably the nest route.

The thought of being able to hold onto a wee again, not look pregnant, not have swelling & a hard lump in the abdomen, (13cm) reduce back pressure, makes me wonder why I've waited until 47 & had 10 years of crime scene periods, back pain, bladder retention & fibroid growth! In the old days my Mum would have had a hysterectomy 10 years ago & just done it, I think there is sometimes a freedom to not knowing too much. Sometimes forums delay people into having a hysterectomy, even though they've been told to by a number of consultants! Is has with me! I do eat alkaline as much as I can, no diary, no meat, no flour, so clean & green at least 80% of the time & it helps, with pressure symptoms but I have to take an iron supplement.

• Posted

I have to say, as a teacher, that new knowledge in this instance is helpful. Having a hysterectomy could destabilize your spine in a few years, and bring on back issues. Of course the decision  is really personal, and may completely be necessary. However, I am grateful for this forum and for the ability to weigh in on the options & consequences. 

• Posted

Hi Heather 

Thank you, really appreciated your comments.  I just don’t want them ever given a chance to grow back.  Like Scubagal said, it’s good to have knowledge so you can make an informed choice. Thank you ladies.  

• Posted

Heather I feel exactly the same as you. The forums help for me though. I’ll be doing all the exercises I can to avoid problems later on after a hysterectomy which I’m having soon. At least having the hysterectomy later on means there is less time for things to go wrong with it down the line...?
    • Posted

Well I would have said that now I'm left feeling confused. After 10 years I have done a lot of research. Seen alot of consultants but now I'm left with 1 or possibly 2 options. My spine is not in great order then having a massive fibroid for 10 years wont have helped that. I should have been given more options years ago.  

• Posted

What's also hard is trying with every bone in your body, over year's, travelling miles, for a minimal procedure, (even being scheduled for one by a top consultant, then being told no, but being told it's not the way to go after being scheduled, or having differing professional opinions. My last consultant has a lady suffering from back after open op, but she like me had little option. So problem is we are all different so what it right for one, though symptoms seem the same isn't right for another. I would have liked MRIgFUS but seemingly I can't have that either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.