Bladder retention, fibroids and hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello 

Well,  having spent most of the evening waiting to be catheterised again for bladder retention, was wondering if anyone else has this as a delightful side effect of fibroids?

This is the second time it’s happened, the first was beginning of September. Then they told me it would have been an infection not because of the fibroid. 

This time they didn’t deny it and said it was the fibroid causing the problem. It’s supposed to be 8cm but to me feels a lot bigger than that filling the area just under my belly button. 

Upshot was I was sent home with catheters until Friday.  Told to drink plenty to help things recover. Have a tender tummy today from it. 

Will see gynaecologist again December. I’m on Esmya since 19 October, just hope it’ll kick in soon to reduce it enough to relieve my bladder. Every trip for a wee is a strenuous one as it is - without these retention episodes too. Any tips how to help with weeing and stop bladder retention anyone?

I want my life back!  I want to rid myself of them completely knowing they’ll never come back and my bladder will be free. 

A lot of the forums on here are anti-hysterectomy, which I totally get, but wondered if there’s any positive experiences?  Is anyone like me, six wks recovery but peace of mind?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

With the bladder retention, how did it leave you feeling next day? I feel so exhausted and worn out and my tummy is tender guess from bladder being stretched!
    • Posted

Yes, exhausted, constantly feeling I need a wee, tender even what appeared to be blood in the urine, leading to all of the bladder cancer scans, but seemingly break through bleeding, lodged uterine clots with size & shape of fibroid being pushed out with the force of urine, depending on position or amount in bladder, or position of uterine clot. My back is quite an issue, my spine is now not great prolapsed discs, so any kind of abdominal surgery is a risk to that, but what do I do, if I UFE isn't for me so I'm told. Keyhole myomectomy? That would involve hours on the operating table, have a larger risk for blood clots due to the time on the table & blood loss, I've also had a C Section so there will be that scarring to take into account too, which may cause complications. My main worry really is about back pain after an open procedure, well any procedure, like the teacher said destabilising the spine with hysterectomy, one consultant already told me of a lady struggling with that after hysterectomy, but the alternative is?

• Posted

Sophie, 

Any reason why you don’t want to do the UFE? My biggest Fibroid was sitting on my bladder too causing me to urinate frequently. I had about 10 fibroids snd now 8 mths later they are almost gone. My symptoms are so much better now. 

A hysterectomy should always only be your last resort. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila

Well I’m thinking with being on Esmya now this might change things. Whatever I choose to do surgically I’m not going to be wanting to repeat it again or something different, in a few years time - because the fibroids come back. It’s a one hit cures all for me, I’m not messing around, this is just a personal choice of course that not everyone will share. I just think I don’t need my uterus anymore -  six weeks later problem solved, full stop. Obviously I will discuss again all the options with my gynaecologist when I see her in December.  

• Posted

I totally understand this Sophie, not an easy decision but one that at least solves one problem, no more fibroids! But of course may cause others, but then again may not & might be the right thing. So many gynie's I've seen have said if the lady has done with children then it's the safest thing, as there is more blood loss, time on the operating table, chance of re-growth & more operations with a myomectomy. A major op, not taken lightly but as you say no messing around. That's what I feel I've done, messed around trying this & that in the last 3 years. Esmya was great for no periods for me (some people still bleed but I didn't) but didn't reduce the size of the fibroid tumour, neither did Zoladex. When they are bigger & been there a while it seems more difficult, seemingly mine has the appearance of reduced blood supply on MRI. (But is this because of the Zoladex or Esmya, because the scans were taken when on those drugs which with all the necessary cycle & breaks has been going on since August 2014. Really after the birth of my one & only son (as I would have liked another child) I should have been MRI'd a couple of years after him & given the options. As I was told at C Section, they couldn't see a fibroid, so I thought I had maybe gone! But no my is in the lower posterior uterine wall so likely stretched at that point with being pregnant, & when all got a bit more back to normal after the birth of my son, who is 10 next week, it would be there again but I was thinking it had gone! No such luck!

• Posted

Hi Heather

You sound like you’ve really gone through it. I wonder how things would be if men got fibroids?!

What are you going to do now about your fibroid?

Not good news about the Esmya either for you. I feel it just eases things maybe for some people especially if surgery is on cards makes it smaller.... but ultimately it’s only a temporary fix as you can’t be on it forever.   Maybe you should do more hysterectomy research and at least you’ll be rid of it for good although I imagine you probably have already x

• Posted

Oh yes, I can relate to this completely!  I went into retention twice because of my pesky fibroids.  The first time I was hospitalised as they didn't know what was causing the retention; came out of hospital with a catheter for two weeks.  Then it happened again a couple of months later and again had to wear a catheter for another two weeks.  Lots of UTIs too.  This all happened last year, from Feb to April.  I then had an abdominal hysterectomy in May.  After the op I asked to look at the fibroid and boy was it big!!!  During the op my bladder was cut and I had to come home with a catheter for another two weeks!!!  

While I was in hospital the first time a lady in the bed opposite had 42 fibroids removed by myomectomy and she was in agony, I really felt for her and she was in for 6 days.  With the hysterectomy I was in 2 nights.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Toni,

Did you just have the one big fibroid? Where was it? You had open abdominal hysterectomy? Were you not a candidate for keyhole because of the size of the fibroid? How long did your operation take? Did you/ do you suffer from back pain or have any spinal problems? I have seen consultants from the South to the North of England, over 7 different ones, to see about different options, but it would seem hysterectomy is the only way to be sure. Myomectomy is a option but, longer on the table, so more chance of clots, more chance of blood loss. I don't know why I have fought for so long to keep my uterus, maybe when I was 37, the pipe dream of another child, but now at 47, I have to think of the one child I have & the life I can give him. I do worry about the state of my back though, as I didn't suffer from back pain until I had a C Section however, I am now also 10 years older & having a melon in my uterus isn't helping my back either is it! How do you feel now? Pluses/minus?

• Posted

Hi Toni 

And would you say the hysterectomy was the best thing you did?  How do you feel now, back to normal?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Heather,

As far as I know I had just the one Cantaloupe melon sitting on my bladder!!  I fought for 2 years to try and save my uterus.  I tried everything from Apple Cider Vinegar and Black Strap Molasses 😖 to Esyma to try and shrink the blasted thing, but nothing was going to shrink that!  I had an horrendous period that lasted 6 months; I was put on Northisterone to stop the bleeding but even that didn't help.  I was so anemic and then the retention happened so I was booked in for an abdominal hysterectomy.  They wouldn't do keyhole as it was too big.  I managed to keep one ovary.  

As far as saying am I glad I had it done, oh yes, indeed I couldn't carry on like that, it was a must.  I was a slow healer, especially still being on the catheter when I came out and the constant trips to Urology dragged on.  I have to say, I haven't bounced back as it were, the menopause kicked in pretty quickly for me and I've put on a stone in weight and I don't sleep anymore.  I'm only speaking for myself though, lots of women do bounce back.  I'm not sure about HRT, maybe I should give it a shot.

The one real plus point is no more bleeding!! 😀 and being able to wear white shorts in the summer, albeit in a bigger size!!!

xx

• Posted

That's it Toni, like me you tried, who wants major surgery! Why do you not sleep that doesn't sound good. I take it they took one ovary because it had a cyst on it or something like that? But great about the bleeding as anaemia has so many other side effects. Being on the pill or the pills they give to reduce bleeding are never great, some are linked to other issues as well the most known of which is breast cancer. Great about the bleeding though, fibroids have an effect on hormones too as well as the obvious effect on hormones when having a hysterectomy. It's a battle to carry on weather it be 2 years or 10 years with a fibroid. HRT is once again a personal choice but I have a very good GP friend who has had special training in it & she is going to use it for herself when the time comes after being trained fully on it. As I say its a personal choice but for some becomes a necessity for quality of life. Did it take a while for your bladder to revert to normal? When you had your melon sized fibroid (same as mine) did you feel like you needed to go just after you'd been. I had an ultra sound this morning & drank the water they needed me to have but had to go, twice within 10 minutes of going initially, I can't take large capacity. Anyone who says a fibroid 13cm doesn't effect your bladder must surely be wrong! I have had one gynie say it didn't but other who said he did. xx

• Posted

Oh yes definitely Heather; felt like I needed to go the loo just after I'd been, and then only a trickle came out!  What was your ultrasound for?  Have you actually been put forward for a hysterectomy or are they monitoring you with taking the Esyma?

My bladder recovered pretty well actually.  I had to have a cystogram a couple of weeks after which is like an x-ray of the bladder from different angles.  You are lying strapped to this table being moved round, it was like being on a fairground ride!  Then I was referred to Urology for check ups.

They took the one ovary as it had endometriosis (didn't know I had that).  I was hoping to keep them both for the little bit of estrogen that may be left.  As I said, straight into menopause; I think that is why I'm not sleeping too.  I just can't get off to sleep and I am exhausted.  It's a weird feeling.

Let us know how you get on.  Enjoy your weekend xx

• Posted

Hiya,

Just a wee check of it al, but they can never see everything anyway because of the size of the fibroid, gynie appointment later in November they want to do a hysterectomy, but even though its 13cm they are considering keyhole. x

• Posted

hi Sophie!

I'm in the US, 43, multiple fibroids (2 largest are 10cm and 7cm). urine retention multiple times 2 years ago, first one August 2015, second one November 2015, both lasting 5 days each. then uroligist follow-ups and learning to self-cath (had to do that maybe 6 times, last one April 2016). been trying to manage heavy clotty mensies, terrible cramps and lower back aches, worsening PMS, and fighting to not give in to laying down for another "nap" since birth of my first son in December 2012. since May 2016 acupuncture treatments and 2 alternating Chinese herbs, healthier diet (lotsa leafy greens, lotsa water, cut down on caffeine, minimal alcohol, etc.) and exercise (walking and some yoga)...

however, just last week started mensies, took additional 24 hrs to get rolling, felt that familiar feeling of "oh bloody hell I can't pee!" especially when wearing a tampon. eventually encouraged relief, maybe it was a miracle, maybe i was just stressing myself out. followed up with urologist, not retaining, but holding 90ml (more than the average 30-50ml that a normal bladder holds at any given time) -- so no cause for real alarm. although doctor's assistant exclaimed "wow! it's really distorted!!" when she did the bladder scan (ultrasound).

this recent scare prompted me to meet with my obgyn to further discuss Lupron shot (hormone blocker, given monthly for 3-6 months to be followed by hysterectomy, which she claims may be done laparoscopically). she informed me of this option at our last appt in March 2017. we had previously discussed an urgent hysterectomy after the urine retention in late 2015. I 'chickened out.' but also felt my body was all out of wack and needed to heal and strengthen from the trauma of 'surprise' urine retention.

...so here I am again, less bloated than ever, but fearing more urine retention with the next mensies in a month!

I am petrified about the rare Lupron side effects, but i am also petrified about dealing with this in some form for another 10 years!!! my son is 5, I am not in a partnership, no need to consider future pregnancy as I never wanted kids anyways, but blessed to have my boy!

tomorrow I see the obgyn for a final consult before first month's shot of Lupron. I can always choose to postpone... not sure if it's my fear/anxiety of what may happen if I begin treatment, or what may happen if I don't!!!

so glad to have found this forum. I needed to find women who have close to my exact symptoms and close to where I am at in life.

thank you for posting here! I wish you all the best! ... may we one day be of the many who say "best thing I ever did!" (if we are 2 of those who actually do it haha)

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.