Bladder retention, fibroids and hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello 

Well,  having spent most of the evening waiting to be catheterised again for bladder retention, was wondering if anyone else has this as a delightful side effect of fibroids?

This is the second time it’s happened, the first was beginning of September. Then they told me it would have been an infection not because of the fibroid. 

This time they didn’t deny it and said it was the fibroid causing the problem. It’s supposed to be 8cm but to me feels a lot bigger than that filling the area just under my belly button. 

Upshot was I was sent home with catheters until Friday.  Told to drink plenty to help things recover. Have a tender tummy today from it. 

Will see gynaecologist again December. I’m on Esmya since 19 October, just hope it’ll kick in soon to reduce it enough to relieve my bladder. Every trip for a wee is a strenuous one as it is - without these retention episodes too. Any tips how to help with weeing and stop bladder retention anyone?

I want my life back!  I want to rid myself of them completely knowing they’ll never come back and my bladder will be free. 

A lot of the forums on here are anti-hysterectomy, which I totally get, but wondered if there’s any positive experiences?  Is anyone like me, six wks recovery but peace of mind?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am literally laying on my bathroom floor right now hoping a Duralax will give me pee relief. For some reason sometimes it helps. This is terrible. My doc wants to remove my uterus that is housing these nasty fibroids. I just cannot afford to take off work for 4 weeks!!! I am so glad I am not alone and it sounds like others have found relief. It is so scarey and not something I talk about with many people. So terrible.
  • Posted

Hello everyone

Just an update.....

So, been on Esmya for three months, finished up 14th January so waiting now for period .......😥

In the meantime, have seen a consultant privately, what a major difference. I was in for an hour while everything was explained in great detail. My fibroid is the size of a canonball, nothing's going to work vaginally because apparently it's far too big. and I can't stay on Esmya (which appears to have actually done nothing to the size of the fibroid, just helped the bladder somehow) until I get to the menopause..

So I'm booked in for a sub-total abdominal hysterectomy just waiting for a date. My children are 18 and 21, I don't need my uterus anymore and it is seriously letting me down, my back now aches if I even try to bend over. A scan tomorrow will confirm what we are dealing with.

Just to have peace of mind is priceless. I know I had to pay to get this but to have it all explained, even if it was the same conclusion as the NHS consultant in the end, it helps to get it in your head you're doing the right thing for your health, both mentally and physically.

😃

• Posted

Hello everyone! I have been following your thread and noticed no one has written in months! I am in the United States. How is everyone doing? I also suffer with fibroids, and endometriosis. In 2002 I had a laparotomy. The surgeon said I was a mess inside. I was in surgery for 4 hours, lost a lot of blood and almost died. I was much younger and bounced back fast. After the surgery the Dr. prescribed shots of Depo Provera. I had them every three months. In 9 months I had gained 60 LBS (4.286 stones for those who are British on this forum) and was totally miserable with facial cysts and losing hair and having horrible rage. I stopped that treatment 9 months later. Synthetic hormones are disastrous for the body. I have done way too much research, and have been trying everything, all kinds of holistic pills to shrink fibroids, going to holistic doctors, acupuncture, you name it I tried it. I will be 49 years old this coming year. I have not had children. I have been struggling with the thought of having a hysterectomy for many years. Mostly I am worried about how surgery will affect my body, my mental state and my emotional state, and my sexual life. My periods were regular until about two years ago, now mine too are like a murder scene. My menopause should start at 53 years of age. I just do not know if I can deal with this for this for another 4 years! Besides all the other symptoms you all have, I have something called edema in feet and legs. It is bad in the summer. Have any of you had it? Anyway...I just wanted to say hello, and chime in. I do not know what to do...

• Posted

Did you all know that by the age of 50 approximately 70% - 80% of women in the United States will suffer from Uterine Fibroids? I mean come on...we can put a man on the moon and now we are thinking of Mars, but we can't figure out how to solve this hormonal issue for women all over the world? I just can't accept it. I feel like I have to do something about it!

• Posted

Did you all know that by the age of 50 approximately 70% - 80% of women in the United States will suffer from Uterine Fibroids? I mean come on...we can put a man on the moon and now we are thinking of Mars, but we can't figure out how to solve this hormonal issue for women all over the world? I just can't accept it. I feel like I have to do something about it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.