Bleeding prostate

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just wonder if anyone may have some ideas or suggestions about my problem.

I am 55 years old, in May 2015 I began to suffer from blood in urine (haematuria) and blood in semen (hematospermia) along with abdominal pain.   As 2015 progressed I also developed urinary problems.

I have since had ultrasounds, CT scans, MRI, blood tests, urine tests, cystoscopy twice and been on duodart medication for 4 months.

My prostate was not so large only about 40 cc but very vascularised.

I was offered a TURP by the public hospital but instead undertook a PAE as part of a clinical trial in April 2016. 

It took me a while to notice any improvement but for a few months I had better urinary function and evidence of blood in urine or semen, with the size of the prostate reducing to 30 cc.

However, over the past few weeks the blood has returned heavily in the semen although only occasionally a tiny amount when urinatiing.  Urinary function is still ok.

The interventional radiologist ssays that although the left and right arteries to the prostate were blocked during the PAE, another artery has now branched off from elsewhere and is feeding the prostate.

I now have an option to have a repeat PAE or to have a TURP (which I am trying to avoid if possible).  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding procedures, medications, herbs, etc.?

Has anyone had a severe bleeding of the prostate similar to myself, how did you deal with the issue?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unless you're bleeding excessively, and considering you've been checked for tumors, etc, my understanding is that blood in urine and/or semen is not a serious condition. I know that antibiotics are often given even in the absence of a positive culture and probably other treatments as well, but I don't think surgery is recommended or warranted especially if the rest of your urinary tract functions normally. Probably not pleasant to live with but why chance making things worse with an unecessary operation, espcially something as invasive as TURP which will probably leave you with retro ejaculation for life?

Personally, I've had both of those condtitions. One episode of gross bleeding in the semen and I have chronic hematuria, sometimes microscopic, sometimes not in the urine. I was scoped to look for tumors, etc, but none found so the uros said not to worry about it.

Jim

• Posted

Unless you're bleeding excessively, and considering you've been checked for tumors, etc, my understanding is that blood in urine and/or semen is not a serious condition. I know that antibiotics are often given even in the absence of a positive culture and probably other treatments as well, but I don't think surgery is recommended or warranted especially if the rest of your urinary tract functions normally. Probably not pleasant to live with but why chance making things worse with an unecessary operation, espcially something as invasive as TURP which will probably leave you with retro ejaculation for life?

Personally, I've had both of those condtitions. One episode of gross bleeding in the semen and I have chronic hematuria, sometimes microscopic, sometimes not in the urine. I was scoped to look for tumors, etc, but none found so the uros said not to worry about it.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Jim for your comments.

When I say I ve blood in the semen I do not mean a spot, it is gross and excessive amount of blood that is ejactulated.

• Posted

Do not know what to say..I am having a PAE tomorrow morning ....I would THE FIRST ever to have one done in Western Australia......Hope all goes good smile All the best to you exwhyzed smile 

• Posted

Just add to my last post -- wondering how many uro's you have consulted with? In all due respect to your interventional radiologist, they are not urologists and therefore their expertise may be limited to some degree to the PAE procedure and not to overall prostate health. So if you haven't seen at least a couple of uros in major teaching hospitals you should, but be warned that even there, the majority seem a bit surgery happy. 

Jim

• Posted

Exwhyzed,

Why you're getting the amount of blood in your semen on a repetitive basis is beyond my pay grade. My only advice is before you get another PAE or any other procedure is to ask the docs: (1) What is your reasoning that the PAE (or other procedure) will cure my problem; (2) Are there any less invasive treatments (antibiotics, drugs, etc) we can try first; (3) Since this seems unusual, are there any urologists who specialize in these kinds of problems I might consult with.

Jim

• Posted

ExWhy:

You could insert between questions (1) and (2): "If we do another PAE what are the odds that the problem will be solved"  (Their answer here will give you a good idea how solid their approach is).

Jim

• Posted

Hi

Do get the blood in the urine when you are very tired or have done strong exercise? I have such kind of bleeding or sometimes blood drops after doing hard work or exercise. I have had my PAE 4 months ago

FJ

• Posted

Hi FJ,

Originally I was getting gross amount of blood every time I urinated, now after the PAE I am getting only a tiny amount at the initial stream of urine.  My main issue now is that I have an excessive amount of blood in semen, in fact it is just as if I am ejactulating pure blood.

• Posted

A second, third, and fourth PAE will be less painful,and with far fewer side effects than one turp.

Neal

• Posted

Hi exwhyzed

Where and when you had your PAE done? Are you still taking BPH medication?

FJ

• Posted

Dear friend

sorry to ask you...was your PAE easy ..I mean how long did it last? was it painful? complications? I am having mine in 18 hours from now,I would be the first ever in Western Australia,and I am quite scared....answer me when you can,thank you so much ( I am 67 and my BHP is 370 cc)...gulp

• Posted

Blood thinners like garlic, aspirin some herbs and other

prescription meds may also not help....please check

I was taking baby aspirin & started to bleed..after I stopped the bleeding slowed ...At that time however I had a 189cc prostate

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.