Bleeding started nearly two weeks after anterior/ posterior repair

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had the above repair on the 14th jan and two weeks later I've started to bleed. From last Monday I saw blood on the pad instead of the pale brownish normal discharge. Since then it starts and stops and has clots in it, and goes through the pad at its worst. When I bend down to pick something up or get up from resting it starts. The GP didn't seemed concerned and it seemed to have stopped when I saw her but it started again later in the day.  I'm worried though. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? 

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well here I go again! I've just come home from hospital following another big bleed with large clots. This was two weeks after the previous one. This time, on Tues night, the original hospital couldn't take me and our other big hospital wouldn't see me unless I went to A&E.  As the bleeding was so heavy and continuous I called an ambulance (gp's advice) After five hours I was admitted onto the emergency gynae ward at 6am. The doctor and registrar seemed shocked at the amount of blood and after much cleaning up another pack was put in. This stopped the bleeding again and swabs showed no infection but my HB is down lower than last time. So now I'm home with a stack of pills- iron and antibiotics, I had another or maybe the same water infection before all this happened. The hospital doctor said it was very unusual for this sort of bleeding to happen from a posterior repair and said the stitches were still intact but could see it bleeding through. So the locum consultant  has requested my follow up appointment be brought forward to two weeks instead of six months! Apparently my gynae consultant is very hard to get an appointment with so will phone her secretary if I don't hear anything. My worry is that this will happen again in the meantime. A few days of spotting then, late at night, another big bleed. I'm resting as much as possible with my hubby keeping a close eye on me! Unfortunately I now have the start of a pressure sore on my backside which is very awkward as resting is uncomfortable and have to shift about a bit. Anyway, I sound like a moaning minnie, hope you don't mind me sharing! 
    • Posted

Hello jane. Well you are definitely not a moaning minnie that's for sure. What a horrible time you're having especially when you should be starting to recover. And iron tablets just when you don't want any bowel problems! Sending you hugs and will keep thinking about you. Keep resting and I hope you get sorted out very soon 😘
    • Posted

You poor thing! This must be absolutely draining on top of the normal recovery. You will need to take serious probiotics, not just yogurt, to cope with the iron pills and antibiotics. I assume the hospital did an ultrasound? That's how they know if you have a haematoma, and whether or not it's likely to drain by itself.

• Posted

Hi Moira, an ultrasound wasn't mentioned, I wish I'd asked about it. When I had this same op in 2003 I had a 'massive' haematoma which was picked up on an ultrasound.
    • Posted

That's what we are all here for Jane,to offload any worries we have about the procedures we have had done,so definitely not a moaning minnie at all.

I for one am so glad that I found this site,at least I have had some very sensible advice given to me by this bunch of lovely ladies,which is more than I have had from the hospital that did my op. Take care and hope that you feel much better soon x

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear what you are going through. I found there was such a lack of information after this operation & aftercare has nit been great.

I find this site is brilliant and on this post you women all seem to be sexually active ;-) hoping you might help me. Last week after having the catherer in for three weeks I was still in agony after reading posts here I seemed to be healing at a much slower rate. Anyway I ended up back in hospital as I was unable to pee & in a lot of pain. it turned out my catherer had burst inside me & had caused an bladder infection as well as thrush. It was removed & I was kept in to monitor bladder function which thankfully improved.

Feeling so much better now to the point that I think I can do all the normal things. stupidily yesterday I bent to catch something that was about to fall on instinct and was very sore after. Later in the night hubby was comforting me and things got a little frisky we were like teenagers & I really wanted him inside. Knew we couldn't so we messed through our underwear it was a little tender and I was aware of the stitches. My question is did any of you mess around before your six week check up?

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear what you are going through. I found there was such a lack of information after this operation & aftercare has nit been great.

I find this site is brilliant and on this post you women all seem to be sexually active ;-) hoping you might help me. Last week after having the catherer in for three weeks I was still in agony after reading posts here I seemed to be healing at a much slower rate. Anyway I ended up back in hospital as I was unable to pee & in a lot of pain. it turned out my catherer had burst inside me & had caused an bladder infection as well as thrush. It was removed & I was kept in to monitor bladder function which thankfully improved.

Feeling so much better now to the point that I think I can do all the normal things. stupidily yesterday I bent to catch something that was about to fall on instinct and was very sore after. Later in the night hubby was comforting me and things got a little frisky we were like teenagers & I really wanted him inside. Knew we couldn't so we messed through our underwear it was a little tender and I was aware of the stitches. My question is did any of you mess around before your six week check up?

Also missed last period as it was due after op and now 4wks post op am due another but has yet to arrive. Was anyone else's periods delayed after op & was the first one post op bad?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.