Blepharitis- I cured it and am so relieved

Posted , 61 users are following.

Hi 

I’m just posting this because I know how awful Blepharitis is and how debilitating this condition is. 

I don’t how it started I just remember waking up in the mornings with pink eyes my right eye more pink than my left. The lower lash line also red I looked tired and as if I’d been crying all the time . I thought I was just tired then I noticed my eyelids and inner eye corners itching like hell. I was always rubbing my eyes. This horrible feeling always there led to to my eyes actually feeling dirty and itchy and my sight seemed blurry and the foreign body sensation was so horrible, and it was all the time. My eyes just randomly went red and then pink and then red but never back to a nice white eyeball. I finally reached my wits end by then I was fed up depressed and walking around with a really angry red eye that was not getting better. I went to the doctor and she sent me home with allergy eyedrops. No improvement went back came home with steroid drops used them for two weeks ....no improvement. By this time I had red small puffy swollen eyes and I was finding my self looking at them throughout the day. Almost obsessed it’s all I could think about so back I went this time to eye a&e. Six hours later I’m told I should never have been taking steroid drops and that I had Blepharitis and mgd. Prescribed dry eye drops and warm compresses and lid hygiene ie. baby shampoo !! Told I had it for life and I was devasted. 

Was I really meant to deal with what they called a minor condition for life , surely they couldn’t be so casual about this, it’s a condition that affects your life so much.

Refused to accept it but started with the programme they had advised. The warm compress made it worse eyes more puffy and pink. The eye drops only helped for a short time. I felt sick everytime I looked in a mirror and I looked in the mirror a lot , a vicious circle of discomfort and worry.

Then I Was visiting my mum one day and was whinging about my eyes she also had noticed the state of them. 

She went to the cupboard and pulled out just a jar Of standard normal honey. She said I’m going to put this on your eyes and it’s going to sting for about 5 minutes. I refused I said are you crazy things are bad enough as it is. Even the odd eye lash had started to come out nowadays. 

She scolded me she said back in the days in India they didn’t go to doctors or buy expensive drops and scrubs they just whacked some honey in thier eyes. I did know my mum does this and my dad and have been for years and years for just general eye health. So I thought what the hell let’s just do it. She took a metal eye liner stick (you get them in Indian kajol bottles ) she disinfected it took a spoon of honey out of the jar doused the metal thing in it and then she swiped across my lower lash line as if applying kajol and then swiped some across the eye lid too and then she practically massaged it all over my eyes. 

The stinging and burning was horrendous, oh my days it was so uncomfortable I couldn’t open my eyes they were watering so much. When I could open them for a second I had a hand mirror in front of me and all I could see was pink eyes. I remember screaming mum what have you done. I can’t see there going red !

She laughed and said stay like that for 15 minutes then go wash them with a clean flannel one for each eye. 

15 minutes later I washed my eyes and omg the relief it immediately felt better , and no pink eyes. And most amazingly of all my eyes looked like glass and felt so good and omg my vision felt so clear..... it felt like a new lease of life.

I carrried on and to this day I still do it once a week. My eyes are white clear and shiny my lashes are think and back to how they used to be. I have no problems now. I wear eye make up all the time but I make sure my eyes are clean and everything is off properly before bedtime.

I don’t use my dry eye drops anymore I don’t need them I cancelled my repeat prescription from the doctors.

My mum also gave me some kind of other thing to wash my eyes with apparently they use in India for inflamed eyes I have to chop a bit of it off mix it in water and let it foam up then I wash my eyelids with it rinse off and done I do that about twice a week.  

All I can say is I know how hard this situation is I know first hand how it affects you menatally and pysically. And if anyone’s was worse than mine then I don’t even want to think how you manage. I just want people who have Blepharitis to just please try honey , seriously , it’s an ancient old remedy used in India. And stick with it it stings it burns but once that subsides the relief is just so amazing.

Thanks mum I always turn my nose up at your herbal remedies but mums know what they’re talking about ! 

Please try honey ! And all of those suffering from Blepharitis...don’t give up don’t let it get you down , do something about it that’s not text book advice from just the doctors. Because if I hadn’t listened to my mum right now I would probably be still popping drops in through out the day buying eyelid wipes shampoos and god knows what else because I am one of those people who doesn’t give up and I would probably have been trying any product on the market to just make it better. 

It’s never come back, but I do my honey thing once a week no matter what and if I have a special occasion , just to get those eyes bright white and sparkly. 

Wishing you all the will power to keep going until you find what works for you.

17 likes, 142 replies

142 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Cool...wet ones cured mine
    • Posted

I’m so glad yours is fixed too ! It’s a horrible thing 

I’ll remember about  the wet ones ...just in case...I hope it never comes back and I hope the honey never stops working for me 😊👍

• Edited

Whatever works for you... I know 9 opthamologists didn't work for me.. just the Wet Ones😂👍

• Posted

hello may i ask what are wet ones ?

• Edited

Hi! were you able to find out what wet ones are? I think this is a UK forum and I am in US. Could someone give me a brand? I'm dying here swollen itchy eyes. The cortisteroid ointment medication my ophthalmologist prescribed I think caused the eczema breakout (have never had eczema since I was a baby!).

Please let me know the brand thanks so much!

• Posted

I really hope you see this. The same thing happened to me. My doctor prescribed steroid drops and now I have eczema on my eylid and under my eye. It itches SO BAD!!! Did you find something that healed you?

Thank you!!

• Posted

"wet ones" is the brand name for wipes, like baby wipes but antibacterial wipes for your hands. they are in the US sold at Walmart or any store pretty much

• Posted

"wet ones" is the brand name for wipes, like baby wipes but antibacterial wipes for your hands. they are in the US sold at Walmart or any store pretty much

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting your cure......I was also cured using Manuka honey and now continue to apply three times per week just for general eye health. My last eye appointment the doctor said my eyes looked "beautiful" inside. Of course, I didn't tell her about the honey treatment I have been doing the last two years. .... Doctors will manage your blepharitis with drugs that don't work......just drain your pocket book.....Go Honey!!!!!

• Posted

Hi,Manuka honey greatly helped a stomach issue I had once,can you explain how you used the honey for the eyes,I dont know how you applied it etc. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi...go to the Blepharitis discussion board...scroll down....look for... Using Manuka Honey to cure blepharitis?  There I go into detail about my journey with it and how I got rid of it with honey...everything is there....

Best wishes,

Dawn

• Posted

hello can you please explain how you use the honey kind regards

• Posted

Amazon: Manuka Doctor Bioactive 20 Plus Honey 8.75 ounce

• Posted

hi dawn, is multifloral manuka honey okay to use? I cant find the one you recommend on Amazon. Thank you for your help!

• Posted

I used Manuka honey for over a year, even leaving it on all day when home it helped a little but never cured the Blepharitis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.