Blip?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey. I haven't written for a little while. The last week and a half had been great and I was feeling very good and happy and not anxious. My husband was off work for holidays last week and today was his first day back to work. I didn't wake Anxious but he left for work an hour ago and now I am feeling anxious and crying and feeling sad and miss him. I am scared it's going to be back to bad days again and that I was only ok because he was home for a bit. Or is it just a blip? .The last week and a half I was feeling like I was getting so much better. I just want to keep getting better. Feeling mad at myself for letting him back at work affect me....

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Isabel...I had a blip over Christmas also...I felt exactly right back to square one after being on cit for 4 months and feeling great!! I'd been ill and had the flu!! My GP told me it would pass as I wanted to up my meds...and he was right...it did!! I felt like crap for about a week then suddenly snapped out of it again!! He also said the time of year adds to it also!! You will be fine sweetie!! Try thinking of all the positives that this year will bring for you!! Plan things for the summer!! Plan days/nights out for you and your family to get you through the new year months!! I no it's so difficult when you're feeling so low...but it helped me through my week of sadness!! Look forward to your hubby coming home from work!! Plan a nice dinner!! Hope these ideas help you Isabel...as it's awful when you feel bad xx

• Posted

Thank you for the advice and ideas!

How come this time of year adds to it?

I felt better by yesterday afternoon but once again this morning feeling anxious and sad.

• Posted

Where do you live Isabel? I live in the U.K...and its very cold..dark nights and dark mornings...and I guess people get the Christmas blues...after having time out with there families then having to go back to work...think that's what my doctor meant!! The trouble with cit...I don't think there's any answers as people are so different! Although I have heard on here many times that people feel at there lowest in a morning! And start to feel better as the day goes on!! I take my medication early afternoon as I work shifts so it makes easier for me!! When I first started on cit...I instantly felt better...like within a day...and again...I think that's very rare also!! The side effects of what people talk about...was exactly how I felt before I started the meds...again we are all different! That's why when I was feeling so low over Christmas...I thought my meds needed upping again!! But as it is...it was a blip and hopefully over it again!! But it did last a week...a horrible long week that felt never ending xx

• Posted

I live in Montreal,canada. Very cold here also and been freezing rain and snowing a lot lately. Snowing a lot right now as I write this.

Yeah I understand, I felt so good over the holidays and now back to regular every day routine it makes me think of the anxiety again.

Back in September I went to my father in law's and his wife was going on and on about how people who just stay at home and do nothing and play games are a waste to society and should get killed off. I don't agree with this at all and I am a stay at home mom with my 3 year old. And since she said this i started thinking that I am contributing nothing and what am i doing for the world and what am I supposed to be doing? I know it's important to be there for my son but she made me feel like I wasn't doing enough and that I need to have this big fancy important job to matter. And it's been bugging me and also has sort of added to my anxiety and depression. I am very sensitive and never feel good enough,so that conversation bothered me.

• Posted

I'm not surprised you feel like that. Thing is, unless you've had anxiety yourself you can't possibly know how truly awful it is. Take no notice I'm sure you're a great mum. I feel pretty useless myself as I'm supposed to be back at work next week but have the jitters thinking about it. Never been like this before, I would never believe it could happen to me!

• Posted

You know, I decided to be a stay at home mum when my children grew up as wanted to always be there before and after school and on sick days like my mum was for me.  In fact, I never sat still when at home.  My choice.  But oh dear, the amount of people who talked to me like I was some sort of drain on society and how many times I heard 'about time you got a job'.  I pointed out that I worked for 16 years full time before deciding to be a full time mum and it was my business ...... AND I never had a penny from any government to fund me.  

You contribute by bringing a child into the world with your love, and society will reap the benefit from that.  Everyone has a choice and nobody has the right to contradict what the next person does.  If you can afford to stay at home, then enjoy every minute and ignore what any biggots say, and if you want to be a working mum then that's also entirely up to you.  There is no right and wrong.

Having anxiety can make it difficult for some to work, and that's nobody's fault.  You cannot help being ill.  If you had a major, major illness that made you real sick and bedridden, then I wonder what the opinion would be then.

Killed off?  I'm not even going to attempt to answer that.

You are good enough - everyone has a place in life and yours is extremely important, whatever you do.

Ok ..... I've put my soapbox away now.

Ho hum ......

K x

• Posted

Ow my god Isabel...I'm not surprised it bothered you...it would of bothered me too...she sounds like a very insensitive crank to me!!! People have circumstances that make them stay at home...and....I also stayed at home with my two when they was babies!! I only worked 2 days when mine was little!! And if you are in a possision financially that allows you to be a house wife...(which is the hardest job of all) good on ya 👍🏻!! I used to go to work for a break if I'm honest haha...!! But I no exactly what you mean...I'm a sensitive soul too...and this also triggers my anxiety off!! I'm a really kind hearted person...just my nature...but some people take advantage of that...and again...this triggers my anxiety also!!! I hope you're feeling better today and less anxious xx

• Posted

You know that Monday blue feeling ..... had a great weekend or a fantastic holiday and your heart sinks when you get back to normal life.  That's what most people feel.  However, when you're ill or recovering you feel that 10 x worse than normal people.  Also when you feel good you do things you'd normally and forget you're still recovering so following Christmas celebrations, no doubt your body is now reminding you that whilst it was great, its now tired and is having a dip.

So yes, its a blip.  Lots of things can cause a blip, especially over doing things ..... and of course sometimes nothing can cause it.  Its all part of recovery, and if you let it be there it'll ease in time.

Don't feel mad at yourself for being affected - its just your body doing what it knows best.  As you recover more your body won't react like this.

K x

• Posted

How would you differentiate between a temporary blip and a real reason to increase the dose or suspect that a change in AD is needed. (Been on citalopram 20mg for 4 mths).

Thank you KC

• Posted

Often difficult to know really unless you've given the meds a long enough time and you've had absolutely no breaks in the low mood and had no elevated moods all that time perhaps?

If you've had waves of feeling great mixed with low moods then after 4 months I'd personally keep going for a little longer, but if you've had hardly any good feelings then maybe its time to increase?

My son took Fluoxetine some years ago, and after about 6 months even though he had slight elevated mood occasionaly I was beginning to wonder if he should change meds when it suddenly started happening for him.  Took 9 months for him.

So yes, really all depends on how you've been up to now.  It is always 3 steps forward and 2 steps back all the way through .... frustrating.

K x

• Posted

Whilst I haven't felt absolutely fantastic, I have had lots of days where I've felt normal. Thing is its complicated due to awful insomnia , restless leg syndrome and not enjoying good sleep. I've always attributed feeling iffy to just a lack of sleep and always usually feel better a few hours after getting up. Felt rubbish all day today though

• Posted

You always say such great things and good advice thank you. I felt better by the afternoon yesterday but once again really anxious and sad this morning. I'm happy i had great days the last while and hope it just keeps getting better and better.

• Posted

That was the pattern I went through when I was recovering.  By the evening I felt better and normal, yet the anxiety would hit me every morning.  It began to turn into a pattern so that eventually every evening became good and I looked forward to them.  That good feeling slowly crept into the rest of my day and finally I began waking with no anxiety either.

Recovery often comes in waves - so you do sound like you're recovering.

K x

• Posted

Mmmm yes lack of sleep can cause a lot of problems for your body.  Is this just due to the meds or have you always been a poor sleeper?

Having days where you've felt normal shows the meds are working.  I had that and my days (or evenings in my case) gradually increased over much time.  During this time I still had bad days, sometimes weeks, but sure enough, those normal days returned. 

• Posted

Hi Kate thanks for your reply. Yes I suppose I've always been a poor sleeper bit the meds have definitely worsened things significantly. It's not too bad at the moment but def have had a blip this week

- anxious last 2 mornings a a bit nauseous but had an awful.lot going on . My little grandson was born just before Christmas and then Christmas with everyone round, had a relatives wedding week before Christmas and then new year. Plus I'm due back at work next week, I've been off since August!

Thanks for your excellent and encouraging advice, it makes a whole lot of difference. I'll just ride it out

• Posted

Awwww Gerrymoo, congratulations on the birth of your new grandson biggrin

You've really had a lot happening of late - no wonder you're feeling a little out of sorts at the mo.  Dips often happen after events - and you've had quite a few fabulous ones of late (how lovely) :-)

Going back to work can make you feel a bit uneasy I'm sure, and so can make you feel out of sorts too.  My son did exactly the same when he wasn't well - was off work from August until the new year, and yes struggled back a little but he recovered eventually.

Yes, just keep going.  There's be more ups and downs to come I'm sure - but they will get easier until all is ironed out.

K x

• Posted

Kate cogs - thanks for the pep talk, it's a particular gift you have 😀x I think all we want is to get back to some sense of normality- whatever that is !!@

• Posted

Aww thanks redface

I'm sure work will go well once you're back into the stride (is it back full time or are you easing in with part time)?  

Let us know how it goes.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I work 30hrs per week as a nurse on a chemotherapy unit. I will be going back on a phased return.

Going back to the subject of blips, the difficulty I have is ascertaining what is a blip and what is the anxiety rearing it's ugly head again since both present in the same way. That's why I find it difficult to judge whether a dose increase is needed or to try and ride it out .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.