Bloated all of the time! Please help

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 23 y/o female, slim build and relatively healthy. I eat well, plenty fruit and veg and drink enough water (1-2 litres a day). 

For about the past 7/8 weeks I've been bloated everyday. It gets better and worse but it is CONSTANT, even a bit when I wake up. It is very uncomfortable at times, and I'm so self conscious.

I have no abdominal pain but feel that I may be slightly more gassy too. I went to the docs and had blood tests that ruled out coeliac disease and she said IBS is unlikely as I have no pain. Also was worried about ovarian cancer but she said she isn't concerned because there of my age.

what could this be ??  And are there any tablets or probiotics that can help me?  I've tried a 7 day flat stomach sachets which made no difference at all.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I rarely get an upset stomach or pain. Except I occasionally suffer from anal spasms which are excruciatingly painful until I take an antispasmodic. (feels you need to pass wind and can't!) Quite honestly there seems to be a huge variety of symptoms, I don't believe that I really have gluten allergy as some sufferers do, more intolerance over a period of time. A young friend of mine really does have a gluten allergy and it can hospitalize her. You will sort out what you can and can't tolerate, but I would like to stress that I had all the tests to ensure it was nothing more serious, always, always take your symptoms to a doctor! Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi everyone.. I know it's only been 5 days but thought I would do a quick update. As I've woke up today and have a perfectly flat stomach.. Something I haven't seen in almost 9 weeks now!

its probably a coincidence and will probably get worse as the day goes by. Surely it can't be from not eating gluten but I'll carry on and we'll see. Also if you are going to try it it's harder than you think. Obviously you know you can't have bread, cakes, biscuits, cereal etc but then you realise you can't eat normal pasta, gravy, some sausages, vinegar, marinated fish, some cous cous. Meal times are a nightmare! Check all packets if you are going to try

• Posted

Illyr don't over react!! try introducing some of the less obvious sources simply beware of breads and yeasts or other gassy foods like sprouts, cabbage etc, You will find out what you can and cant tolerate!!!

• Posted

Yeah I haven't cut out veg but all gluten completely, was just saying it's harder than you expect. I'm a small girl but I can eat a lot for my size so this has come as a bit of a shock haha. I do feel better tho so just gonna carry it on and like you said maybe go for something less obvious in a week or 2 to see what effect it has 
    • Posted

I forgot to say that one bread I can tolerate is corn bread. And something called polenta which is sweetcorn four is nice to eat and filling if you can find it. Not sure where you are but these are good substitutes to try out
    • Posted

sri should read sweetcorn flour
    • Posted

oh that sounds great i'll have a look! thanks 
    • Posted

Hi, Lily! Thanks for the update - I'm glad you're getting some relief! My son has CD and I know how hard it is to eliminate it completely - it's everywhere!  With CD, you can't even have your food touch gluten food or it will be "contaminated"...not sure if trace amounts like that can affect you or not. There are some wonderful sites online if you google certain items, restaurants or just categories of food or cuisine.  It gets easier to be sure! (But I still look online in food markets frequently - not everything safe is labelled)

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi thanks a lot, I still don't know if it's due to the gluten or just a coincidence but time will tell! In a way I hope it isn't cause it's hard to keep up with but if it is atleast I know how to control it 
    • Posted

It sure is! Have you tried foods with natural probiotics? (Supplements can be tainted with gluten, so that's not a good idea for you right now) Like yoghurts if you can tolerate dairy or sauerkraut and kimchi...?  You may just have a gut imbalance and less/no gluten is helping your gut but you won't need to stay away if the right balance is reached?  Just another thought...
    • Posted

I'm replying late to this post, Lily, but great to hear you've had some relief by avoiding gluten. And I hope it's continuing!  As mentioned by Philippa, non-coeliac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is a recognised condition and this can manifest as bloating, excess gas, etc. When gluten sensitivity is suspected, I recommend patients avoid gluten for 2-4 weeks and, if there has been satisfactory symptom improvement in that time, the next step is to challenge the gut with e.g. 1-2 slices wheat flour bread over 2 days. For some patients, the marked improvement is so obviously due to avoidance of gluten that they choose not to challenge their gut, because of the likelihood of triggering a return of symptoms. The response to consuming gluten in NCGS can be dose dependent i.e. a person might be able to tolerate some gluten but not a lot. We are all unique in so many different aspects!
  • Posted

all natural product with papaya (has vit.c,A and fiber, actually makes me fart minutes after I eat a cslice and reduces bloating almost immediately), fennel,wormwood tree, cardamom, and aloe (which acts as natural laxative).
  • Posted

There's a lot you can do to manage this with plant medicines and nutrition...as experienced by patients of mine in the past. There are so many herbs with direct action on the digestive system.

Why not consult a qualified, experienced herbalist who can work out a natural medicine protocol, diet and nutrition prescription - that you can try for a while?

• Posted

hi ola, I am glad that you too recognize the power of herbs to vure ailments... there are so many strong testimonies about th use of herbs and all natural products.. and I believe these strong experiences and good enough to give options to people who wanted to be helped smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.