Bloating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Would you expect bloating as a result of taking Levothroxine to  be improved by reducing or increasing the doseage. 100mg feel water logged, all glugging gurgling and tightness thanks

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lucy

I am sorry but I do not know the answer to this. 

Please let me know when you find out because I may be started on this drug myself.

Many thanks

Jean

• Posted

Hi Lucy, Yes you can have Edema or swelling from medication.  It is not common, but some people can have adverse side effects.  Please call for an appt. to have the doctor check you.  Maybe you are having too high of a dosage, and in some people they take a diuretic "water pill" to reduce edema. Best to let the doctor know your symptoms so they can check your heart also. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, it could be me writing same question. Have been taking 50 mg since last October and feel really bloated, can only describe it like something is blocked. Have joined a gym, swimming for over an hour 4 times a week, doing classes.......cannot shift it! Did have a weekend where my ankles swelled up and I passed very little urine. Felt ok and scan was normal, just feel like I could burst! 
  • Posted

hi Lucy  I'm new here but have never considered that it could be the thyroxine that causes this "bloating"  Sometimes I just feel like I'm going to explode. I have been taking 0.075 mcg synthroid foraround 8 yrs-post menopause at 43 yrs.  i've never felt like this med has done anything helpful. I recently found a lump on the rght side of my thyroid and am awaiting an u/s  I have gained almost 30 lbs in the past 2 months with no change in diet but a slightincrease in activity-it is Spring after alllol cCould u explain the significance of Vit D, Calcium and the Vit B's  I do take B12 by injection every month  But I have never been tested for other vit or mineral deficiency Also my gp told me there was no test for your adrenals  Good luck getting away from the bloating!!
    • Posted

Dear Krissytina

The test is called cortisol and can be checked by a saliva test.  Jean

• Posted

Hi Lucy, Stomach problems, allergies, and intolerances, are common in people with thyroid conditions. Try cutting out wheat and google IBS - irritable bowel syndrome.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

I have just found out that I have multinodular goitre. No tests or diagnosis has been made as of yet but I have been urgently referred to an endocrine surgeon and a physician who work in conjunction .

Despite being a retired registered Nurse I had no idea whatsoever that the signs and symptoms were due to a thyroid disorder.

During nurse training we were only taught the bare minimum on the subject.

Since being told jut over one week ago that a multinodular goitre was an incidental finding on a CTPA scan I have been researching like mad. I know from friends that the NHS only does the basic number of thyroid screening and that diagnosis can be missed due to inadequate screening.

I therefore wanted to know what tests should be done in order to habe a thorough screening because I have felt acutely ill now since December 2013 and felt unable to tolerate these weird feeligs which are present all k and tired of feeling ill all the time .I am heartily sick and tired of being told that these multiple signs and symptoms were due to anxiety. Yes dr I would say  I know I am anxious but it is caused by these unexplained signs and symptoms and not the other way round.

Anyway since researching and especially since joining this forum I have come to realise that there are very good reasons indeed for the way I feel and am affected by this thyroid disorder. I also have peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia. I have spent a fortune on physio and a cbt counsellor. However I could have saved my money because now a scan has identified the problem Sorry to keep going on and on about it. I have been unable to sit down comfortably for well over a year. I detest going to bed because I am unable to get comfortable.

I have neck and shoulder pain, Myalgia, fibromyalgia, feel like I am sitting on rocks, unable to walk far,spasming and burning sensations down my buttocks,backs of thighs, over each knee and dowwn the front,sides of each leg into both feet. I aa;so have the signs ans smptoms of plantar faciitis and feeI am being pushed upwards and unable to balance due to these sensations in my feet.

I also have stiiffness of both knees and ankles with saddle numbness. I am told that all of this is normal in thyroid disorders.

I also have the signs and symptoms of plantar faciitis. Now I am concerned that the diagnosis has come too late for me to be helped with treatment.

Sorry if I have repeated nyself just feel tired but do not want to go to bed.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean

Sorry, if this isn't a definitive answer.

In this reply I'm going to identify what is fact and what is my thoughts, so that everyone can question whether I've come to the right conclusions.

In my case the underactive thyroid is caused by my immune system attacking my thyroid (fact: confirmed by blood tests for anti-bodies against thyroid). Once a person has one auto immune disease, they are more likely to get another (fact: confirmed by research).

Allergies and interolerances are the immune system identifying the wrong thing (the allergen) as a problem and attacking it, causing all sorts of allergy symptoms such as bloating, diarrhoea, nausea, swelling, muscle pains, hives, excema etc (fact) - look up 'allergy uk' website.

I'm not medically qualified, but here is what I have worked out. I'm hoping that by cutting out the things that are a problem for say 6 months, I will be able to get my immune system to settle down. The problem I've got is that there are rather a lot of things I'm reacting to. I have a histamine intolerance, wheat inolerance and milk intolerance, so I keep accidently eating something that makes me react. Fact: there are no reliable tests for intolerances. So it's a matter of excluding a suspected allergen (i.e. food) and seeing if the symptoms abate. I discussed this with an allergy consultant and he advised me to exclude the allergens. Since I saw him 3 years ago, the number of foods I'm reacting to has increased and the reactions I get worsened. What do you think about my conclusions?

I think there may be value in starting a new discussion on this topic, so I'll do so. Barbara 

• Posted

The way that thyroid presents itself for me, is that I lose muscle tone and my knees become wobbly and bend backwards. Physiotherapy exercises to strengthen my thigh muscles help. The inside of my kneecap felt like I'd grazed it. Gluco samine helps here, but as I'm allergic to shellfish, I have to get the one that's of vegetable origin.
    • Posted

Oh, by the way, the good news is that many of these symptoms will go away when you start thyroxine. Don't be put off by the number of people who have problems with it, we are in a minority (albeit a sizeable minority). I feel an awful lot better on thyroxine than I would without. It just doesn't solve the hypothyroidism completely. Luckily I have a GP who listens and treats to my symptoms not to the blood tests. Technically I'm being over treated, so I mitigate the potential oesteoporosis as best I can by taking calcium tablets - at least 4 hours after thyroxine as it interfers with the absorption of thyroxine. I also have low blood pressure, so the doctors aren't too worried yet about the atrial fibriliation.
    • Posted

Regarding the neck and shoulder pain, I'm going to start a new discussion on this.  Look out for its title: Hypothyroidism and Muscular Skeletal problems
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

Why are anxiety and panic attacks signs and symptoms?

Why do we get spasms and muscular pain?

I have had two panic attacks this morning. I have long qt and take cardicor 1.25 mgms daily for this.

Does anyone know why these horrible signs and symptoms vary from day to day?

I must arrange some blood tests and know I have asked this question before but does anyone have a comprehensive list of blood tests that should be  done to do a thorough thyroid screening and bearing in mind the finding of a  multinodular goitre on a ctpa sccan? Many thanks and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Jean

Jean

• Posted

Can you buy throxine anywhere?

Is it safe to take it without benefit of blood tests and just with a diagnosis of multinodular goitre seen on a ctpa scan. Jean

• Posted

I think you have a very sensible plan of action. I saw a nutritionist in March and paid ninety five mpounds for allergy testinf. She told me that I am allergic to wheat, gluten, yeast aand milk. I have not been back yet to discuss this in detail. What am I supposed to eat. I also had a bad reaction to amaranth which is a food colourant used in gravies, sweets and some medications.

I regard food as my enemy due to all of this. I just want to be 'normal' again. whatever normal is!!!!!

I do not know enough about allergies and intolerances but from my own personal experienc have found the same as yourself. I think that the immune system has been damaged by antibiotics and a drug called perampanel albeit I only took 2 mgms on four successive nights as instructed by the neurologist.According to info in the Public Domain this drug has been banned in Japan and the USA so why is it used in Britain?

Meanwhile I will researc the allergies and intolerances websites. This thyroid business is just too awful for words.

Jean.

• Posted

Why is muscle tone lost and will it ever come back?

Just what is going onin this horrid condition?

Jeanx

• Posted

Hi Jean

Here are some practical things you can do to help the symptoms you've listed.

For the plantar fasciitis try wearing training shoes.

For the getting comfortable in bed - a different mattress may help (test this out by going bed shopping and lie on them to see if you can find one that is comfortable - expensive isn't necessarily best).

Stiffness in knees, muscle pains, anxiety etc. should go away if you get treated for goitre (may cause under or over active thyroid).

Gluco samine may help with knees and joints. Be cautious if you have a problem with shellfish, in which case get ones from health span that are vegetable based.

For blood tests, look at the discussion started by Remotheboss as ShelleyC (from memory so may be wrong person) has given a comprehensive list of relevant blood tests. (I know I wrote this on a different discussion, but thought it might help people in this discussion).

Try ringing the hospital consultant you've been referred to, to see if you can fast track the appointment, you may be able to take a cancellation, or be able to ensure you get an appointment at a time you can make.

Above all, don't give up, some of these things will go with time (I still don't know why my plantar fasciitis went, but wearing training shoes definitely helped).

Other symptoms are likely to improve once you are being treated for the goitre problems. Pick off each symptom and address it.

There are other things you can do (e.g. kelp), but they may mess up any blood tests you have done so are not a good idea at the moment.

If the consultant recommends blood tests (likely) ask him how long it takes before the results are back. Then before you have the blood tests done, copy the blood test form (as you have to give in the form when you have the tests done) - the hospital reception did this for me so I could go and get the test done straight away. When the results are back, ask your GP for a copy of the test results (this is helpful as it shows the ranges that each test should be within - the ranges vary between hospitals and type of machine used).

All the best, Barbara

• Posted

Thanks for this valuable info. I am still searching for the post on thyroid screening tests. At the moment I have been told that I need a TSH, Free T4, 

Free T3.

However I would like antibody tests doing plus any other tests.

Jean

• Posted

Regarding the muscle tone - most people don't have the problems I have, I just have to keep working at it. 'Use it or lose it' applies to me much more and quicker than other people. 

I console myself by thinking "by putting this much effort in keeping fit and healthy I bet I'll live to a ripe old age and without as many problems as other people get as they age!"

Take heart, once you get the goitre sorted, many (possibly all) the symptoms you have will greatly decrease or go away completely.

Barbara x

• Posted

I hope so. I still need to check out the blood tests though as I am scared of the correct diagnosis not being made thus prolonging the agony.

Are any other etsts required other than TSH, Free T4, Free T3, what about reverse T3 and TPoa and thyroglobulin for hashimotos disease and hypthyroidism.

Jean

• Posted

I'm searching for the post by Remothe boss. I've only go the free version of this site so I'm not able to track which ones I've replied to.
    • Posted

The post by Remothe boss that Sara05235 (got the name wrong) replied to with a list of blood tests is titled 'Can anyone please HELP me?'
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara. I will try to locate it again. Much appreciated. Jean
    • Posted

It's under the hypothyroidism discussion forum.
    • Posted

Barbara I just cannot find the references to the blood tests.

The T4 and reverse T3 have to be done together I just feel panick stricken over the whole business.

• Posted

Hi Jean, I did compose a reply earlier, with items from the other discussion I mentioned, but then accidentally clicked the 'x' when I tried to switched to the tab from another one and deleted it all!

In the discussion by Remotheboss titled Can anyone please HELP me? Sara05235 wrote:

blood test to get the following

Ferritin

B12

Vit D

TSH

T4 and T3

Cortisol

TPO antibodies

They may do in stages but push for them. In the meantime go to a good health food shop and buy best iron and vit b complex, magnesium , zinc and selenium. Take daily.

(Personally I wouldn't take these until after your blood tests in case they affect the results - ask your GP if they'll do the blood tests for you, it'll be quicker than waiting for the endocrinologist - Barbara).

Sara continued...Check through any results that are not in optimal range and address.

Hope you can use this to further investigations. I know Exactly how you feel abs what's been going on is lack of nutrition and correct balance of key elements in your body.

Avoid caffeine , tea, drink pure water , herbal teas and almond milk. Avoid gluten dairy and soy whilst going through healing. Eat organic. Esp meats. Avoid processed foods and sugary foods to prevent adrenal stress.

I think with a careful attitude to rest and balance you will slowly recover.

Thyroid and adrenal exhaustion often go together.

Read up about t4 and t3 and and rt3, tBG and cortisol with HPA and HPT axis or watch some videos on you tube. And just take some light notes.

gill43753 wrote to remotheboss • 20 days ago

...With the brain fog,your memory is easily affected,so write absolutely every symptom down, and really insist that you have something wrong, when you see a doctor...It's wise to focus on what is affecting you most, but your doctor needs the complete picture. Why not print/write out what you've put on this site, and get your doctor to read it. I did that, and also booked a double appointment so that the doctor wasn't clock-watching. Make a point of saying that you've made a double appointment so that you can thoroughly discuss everything...Make it clear that you are suffering with the anxiety of the symptoms, and not getting the symptoms from being stressed.

I think that's probably enough to be going on with! Barbara x

• Posted

Porridge is good for anxiety. I make it with Oat Milk as I'm milk intolerant. It was also ok with Rice Milk. The cheapest oats are no different to the expensive ones. Half cup oats to 1.25 cups [oat] skimmed milk. Heat gently stirring frequently. Ready in about 5-7 minutes.

You mentioned panic attacks, which made me wonder whether you are deficient in any of the Vitamin Bs (there are several). Many of the vitamin Bs are essential for the correct operation of the nervous system, specifically: Thiamin (vitamin B1), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Niacin (vitamin B3), Vitamin B12. As the body gets older it gets less efficient at processing vitamins, particularly B12 so one may become deficient even if diet is ok.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Barbara x

• Posted

Thanks Barbara

I have now copied the list of tests etc and made notes. Thank you for being so patient and understanding . I have gone thru so much especially in the last 18 months. My stomach churns over at all this.

Jean

• Posted

Thanks Barbara

I am taking Vit B12 1000mcg daily plus 30,000 i,u of vit D a week plus adcal D3 . Under the instructions of an endo who I saw some years ago with pains inmy ribs which were put down to a Vit D def disorder.

I had a Dexa scan done in January 2015 which shows osteoporosis.

Jean x

• Posted

I suffered from pains in my ribs/chest and was prescribed Gamolenic Acid  (aka evening primrose oil) by my doctor. This cures it. Are you taking calcium and magnesium for osteoporosis?
    • Posted

No not yet. I have to see someone in June but I doubt that the usual meds will be permitted due to long qt syndrome, being on warfarin.

The only suitable med is an antibody injection called ranu..... something or another will post the name when I read the report.

• Posted

Barbara already taking vit D and magnesium lus caalcium for osteomalacia. Cannot have Evening Primrose oil due to warfarin and long qt and epilepsy.
    • Posted

You have got rather a lot going on! I can see why you get a bit fed up sometimes. I'm really glad I was able to help.

Have a quick look at my post on 'hypothyroidism and macular degeneration' (a condition which is reasonably common as one gets older), I posted it for information and to raise awareness. It's easy when one has so much stuff going on, like you do, to miss anything new. If one develops the wet version of macular degeneration action needs to be taken quickly - Lucentis - (NICE guidelines are within 2 weeks) to save eyesight. Luckily I've only got the dry version - the only thing one can do is take Viteyes - a particular combination of vitamins and minerals, that has been shown by research to slow the progression. Though it's not something that would be advisable for you to take without medical supervision, and only then if you develop macular degeneration.

Have you ticked the box on your forum account to receive weekly updates/newsletter? If so, you should have received notification that a new discussion was started.

You do already seem to be doing as much as you can to combat your medical conditions. Thyroid disease causes muscle pains so there is hope that, once you get treated for it, you will feel much better.

Keep battling! Barbara x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.