Bloating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Would you expect bloating as a result of taking Levothroxine to  be improved by reducing or increasing the doseage. 100mg feel water logged, all glugging gurgling and tightness thanks

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lucy

Try sticking to simple unprocessed foods, e.g. fresh fish (not smoked or tinned), roast chicken and vegetables. You will need to roast the chicken yourself as you may have a problem with the preservatives in the ready cooked version. I roast lots of chicken joints together then freeze them in single portion sizes so I can just get one out and microwave it until it's hot (takes 1 minute in my 850W microwave). Packs of ready prepared vegetables have preservatives in them (usually sulphur dioxide) so it's best to cook your own vegetables from raw until you know what you are reacting to. I use the bones and juices from the chicken I cook, and boil it up with water for a couple of hours to make chicken stock as it makes a great base for soups (homemade). I can't even eat tinned vegetables as the tinning process causes a problem with histamine). Jacket potaotes are good. Pasta either re-heated or eaten cold can cause a problem with some people as the make-up of the pasta changes. Same for potatoes cooked in re-used cooking oil, or re-cooked (e.g. ready cooked roast potatoes or chips). Google allergy uk for ideas for what may be causing you a problem.

• Posted

Its a nightmare.

I have noticed that ashed potatoes in processed ready made meals cause pains in my back, kidney regions, knees, ankles. Schloer white grape juice and anything with lemon in it execerbates the burning in the legs and also causes cystitis. What fruits can I eat to avoid cystitis and burning.

I feel too depressed to cook so have been having ready made meals however I can manage a baked potato with baked beans and or cheese .

I am on warfarin so have to watch green vegetables, avocados, as they contain high levels of vitamin K which counteracts the warfarin causing blood to thicken. Jean

Jean

• Posted

Not having the energy or motivation to cook is not surprising. For me, ready meals are a problem so I don't have any alternative. Carveries are wonderful.  Especially my local one who will freshly steam vegetables without butter.I think co-op and sainsburys don't put artificial preservatives in their own brand ready meals. Also, try looking for baby & young children's ready meals as the rules are much more restrictive on what they can put in them. The only fruit I have found so far that I can eat is melon. Though when the peaches I've bought ripen, I'll try those. Tinned peaches are a problem - probably due to my histamine intolerance, as tinned vegetalbes are listed as containing histamine.
    • Posted

Barbara

Do you live in the UK?

I ask because of access to carvaries.

Is curry all right I like chicken korma as I have reflux disease.

Jean.

• Posted

Jean, Yes I do live in the UK. I can't eat curry because of histamine and milk intolerances.  However, I seem to remember that it's a good idea to avoid spicy food if one has reflux. Mind you, isn't korma milk based? Milk helps with reflux.

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I am sure I have read somewhere that garlic and tomatoes are not too good for acid reflex, although saying that I do eat garlic and do not have too much trouble, I am a little bit round shall we say from the 2 stone I have gained since being hypo and I think it is  my weight gain that is my problem.  And as I am struggling to loose the weight I sometimes get very bad reflux.  I have not found a solution to this as yet although it has improved a lot since a started switching off levo and onto t3 but this could just be a coincidence.  It is more likely that the fillers in the tablet were affecting me.

• Posted

Hi hellsbells15

Yes additives ,colourants etc can cause problems in terms of allergic responses and allergies.

There is medication for reflux of course . Only problem is the serious side effects such as peripheral neuropathy, malabsorption syndrome leading to vitamin deficiency disorders etc, etc. drinking water can help dilute the acid, eating bland foods etc, etc. Jean x

• Posted

Hi hellsbells15

I have read that levo can cause bloating but I am unsure. I have not started any meds yet as recently diagnosed witha multi nodular goitre so awaiting bloods to be drawn by endo surgeon.

Jean

• Posted

I am guessing that until you get a course of action from the endo you will be stuck in limbo.  it is really crappy the symptoms some of us have to put up with.  There are quiet a few of us at work that are hypo and we have all put weight on.

I am just happy to be awake for more than 50% of the day when I was on levo I was not well however 90% of people are fine on levo so I guess it was just one of those things for me.

• Posted

It could also be that your body is better able to absorb the T3 (liothyronine) than the T4 (levothyroxine). The body has to convert T4 into T3.
    • Posted

Just to let you know that I have started a new discussion on cough and breathlessness in hypothyroidism.

Thanks. Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.