Bloating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey - It my first time posting online about this.

Basically I have severe bloating of my abdomen daily.

When I get up in the morning I am fine. But I soon become bloated during the day my waist increases 5-6 inchs. By the end of the day I am fully bloated and almost look pregnant.

I'm a 28 year old male who exercises regularly and eats very healthy. 

I have had the following tests done. 

CT Scan - Some swollen nodes less than 1 cm, Colon slightly thickened walls but Colonscopy was fine.

Colonoscopy - Extensive gastritis in gastric body and Antrum. Two linear erosions no ulceration

Barium Swallow - All fine

Blood Tests : High Albumin, MCHC, Haemologbin, Free T3

Glucose Level was 4.8 non fasting.

Fructose and Lactulose breath test : Tested Positive for both and told be I had SIBO. 

I went on Xifaxan for two weeks at 1200mg, this made my bloating worse while I was on the drug.

Anti-Acid have not assisted in decreasing the bloating. I had been proscribed Omeprazole. 

Strangely if I go out and have a few drinks (Alcoholic) the next day I will be fine and my stomach will not bloat up.

Also I had the common cold for 2 days and my stomach also did not bloat. Therefore during these events is one of my organs overproducing something it normally wouldn’t?

My bloating has now been going on for 2 years and it’s very distressing. If you have any knowledge on this I would be happy to know. Thanks smile

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I went through something similiar although gradually worse for five years, get them to do a blood (?) test on you for the enzyme that digests fat.  Most GP's can order the test but few know about it, and you might have to ask your gastrentrology department.  Your looking out for pancreatic insufficiency.  I swelled up during the day and nearly had to change clothes.   I got prescribed Creons, and it takes a while to work out your level and how fatty your foods are as it's different pills accordingly.  although my condition worsened so now I've tried to cut out lactose (fat molecule) which means I can still do dairy.  Good luck!

• Posted

The test is for pancreatic elastase which apparently for most people is 200, I was 88 and now have reached 15 in a few years, eeek!
    • Posted

Thanks Spencer I will ask my gastrentrologist for this. And goodluck with yours!
    • Posted

Little add on from the lab, elastase in serum or blood possible:

E1 in serum (for acute pancreatitis, inflammatory episode of chronic pancreatitis or ERCP- or gallstone-induced pancreatitis.

E1 in stool (fecal elasstase) (for diagnosis or exclusion of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency due to chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, pancreatic tumor, cholelithiasis or diabetes mellitus etc)

• Posted

Cheers Sanya - when you say E1 in serum is that a blood sample?
    • Posted

yes, serum is the liquid part of collected blood after clotting, (separated from the clot/cells by decanting or gel to work with serum only)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.