Bloating

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All!

why is it that I'm only on 1.5mg of pred, but my stomach is still bloated and I'm still looking like a grape on legs!! 😡 I would have thought that on a low dose of steroid I'd start to look normal again??? Is anyone  else out there in my position too?? Feeling depressed that I'm still shapeless.

many thanks Andrea xx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I completely understand--I may be a melon on barrel legs. I decieded the best way to look at it--or self--is at least I am upright.  I am on 6 mg Pred and am trying not to feed that monster.  Dr. says concentrate on protein. 
  • Posted

I understand what you mean. I describe myself as 'Humpty Dumpty' on legs. I got so fed up with my shape that I decided to cut the carbs as advised on this forum. Result......loss of 12lbs to date. I am also finding that I crave the carbs less and once over the initial hurdle it has become easier. I can't see or feel any difference but I hope to soon. I am, however, less bloated and am currently on 3.5 msg.

• Posted

Thank you Kerry and Silver!,, I did well to start off in the first 6 months of pred, I stopped bread and potatoes, but then we went away on holiday to France and the French bread took over! Then I never got back on track, so 2 years later, the rest is history. I'm going to stop them again I think, and see what happens.

many Thanks Andrea xx

• Posted

Hallo Andrea.  You've made me smile this morning.  "Grape on legs"!!!  It's great to start the day with a smile/laugh.

I'm afraid carbs are the only way to go.  Good luck.💐

• Posted

My daughter-in-law is on Slimming World diet....she eats so many carbs it`s inbelieveable...and loses 1 and half pounds every week without fail, has lost nearly 2 stone.....what she dosen`t eat is anything sweet....I wish it would work for us on Pred, I think I could cope with it....but dare not try as always read on here we must cut carbs....

Now going this week on 4 day break with everything done!   my sister has RA, so we are hoping we aren`t in too much pain and enjoy the change!smile....will attempt cutting the carbs when I come backsad.........

• Posted

Some people on pred have lost weight on SW - we had a discussion on a lupus forum about it. It might work for you, you'd have to try. But the advantage of the carb cutting aproach is also reduces the risk of steroid-induced diabetes which is also a problem.

My daughter is doing SW and has lost weight - not as steadily as your DIL but she does have to take pred occasionally still for asthma. I find it awfully complicated - cutting carbs and keeping them for treats is so much easier for me.

• Posted

The textbooks sometimes describe it as a lemon-shape...

I put on weight all over with untreated PMR but when I started pred it rearranged itself, I didn't put more on until I was put on Medrol (nasty masty version!) but when I cut carbs and stopped the Medrol the first place the fat went from was around my waist - one pair of trousers I had with me for my daughter's wedding fell down! I hadn't noticed at all until then  eek

If they don't work hard at it some people just don't lose weight until they are off pred altogether. One lady put on 6st (84lbs) with GCA levels of pred, not from eating more at all, and it started to melt away once she stopped pred altogether. Until, similar to me, her skirt simply fell down one day!  She was in a shop at the time though redface

• Posted

I've never understood how some of us LOSE weight when on pred😏. Do you know what the percentage is?

I lost weight even when I was on 30-40mgs.  Odd!

• Posted

No idea Constance - not many though! Anhaga lost weight too I think - and she wasn't very big to start with.

• Posted

I WAS big - 73 kilos, 166cm tall.  I lost 10 kilos in the first 2 years.  Have stayed at that weight until now.  I'm not complaining, it's a reasonable weight for a 78 year old.  Just wondered!

• Posted

Hmm - thank you wink  I'm hovering at 72kg now - at a whole 155cm. And I've lost over 15kg redface

• Posted

My GP always refused to believe me that I was obese - technically I was but didn't look it! I'm JUST on the borderline now - need to lose about 4kg to get to the ideal BMI for over 65s (27.5). It would be so nice if you coulld just transplant fat - David's BMI is barely 20!

• Posted

You are extremely lucky then, not to 'look' overweight.  Many on here will envy you. 

Are you enjoying the heat?  I like to look out at it😀 but I don't like going out in it!

🍾🍸

• Posted

I lost weight also on Pred.  Around 10 lbs. and looked awful.

Now weight is back to normal  - but still look awful!

I suppose it's too much to be slim - AND looking lovely . . . .

• Posted

Oh I think I DO look overweight - when you are small there is nowhere for it to hide! But I have a waist again - and that makes a big difference as to how people perceive your weight I think.

It's fine if you keep in the shade. The curtains are drawn n the front of the balcony and if necessary we put the fan on which makes sitting out there pleasant. But we are getting wind - the last year or two there has been a lot more wind than there used to be - and that is nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.