Bloating and constipation after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

April Of this year I had my gallbladder removed. A very unexpected surgery. Had gallstones that were being passed. 

After healing, I read tons of books, blogs. Since then I have tried all kinds of digestive enzymes, Smooth move tea every other day, prunes, fiber, eating lean meat, low fat, exercise 5-6 days a week( walk on treadmill) and weights and yet I still suffer from major bloating, gas, and irregular bowels. My stomach when extended looks like I am 3-4 months  pregnant! 

Any one else else have similar symptoms?? And any other suggestions??  Something that has worked for you?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, your body does need some healthy fat, such as butter from grass fed cows.  Did you have constipation and bloating immediately after surgery? Or was it a problem before you had your surgery?  I am also wondering about your intake of water.  Are you making sure that you drink at least 64 ounces of water or liquid daily?  Some people have good results if they eat sweet potatoes daily.  

Finally, are you taking probiotics? Healthy gut bacteria is very important in the digestive process.   

• Posted

I use olive oil and coconut oil.  I know I don't have 64 oz of water/liquid. Really that much?  I'll be going to the bathroom all day at work!  I use to take probiotics and honestly can't see any difference but maybe I'll try them again.  I've always dealt with constipation my whole life.  But not the bloating so much. Thank you for your suggestions 

• Posted

I would not worry too much about it.  Your body is adjusting to life without your gallbladder.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, eating low fat foods, plenty of green vegetables and fruits.  If after five weeks you are still having problems, consult your doctor. 

?I found that after having my gallbladder out, I could not tolerate larger amounts of meat, high fat (which is not recommended) and foods high in acid.  As you re-introduce foods back into your diet, you will find which ones you do not react to well. 

?Try eating yogurt, as it helps get your system back in order.  I also take a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water twice a day.  It keeps your body's Ph. level normal.

• Posted

Thank you. Instead of baking soda, I use organic apple cider vinegar in 8-12 oz of water.  I do eat good high protein yogurt or drink Kiefer almost every day.  I just don't like the bloating! 

• Posted

Hi Debra:  I had my gallbladder taken out in february of this year.. I have acid reflux because of it.. I have a cup of coffee in the morning with sugar and cream. Also I have a cup of caffeine tea with milk and sugar too to help me go to the washroom.. It is normal to have to have the gas and bloating.. I still got it too but i do notice that if i have water it helps with the gas and if i have coffee or tea it helps me go to the washroom.. But I suggest if your gonna have milk to drink, have low fat milk.. Skim milk.. Or you can try some orange juice.. But stay away from the greasey or spicy foods.. That won't help much.. Eat meat normally,  try also taking tums or something that is ant acid.. I was told to take zantac.. It helps with the acid reflux .. Watch the acidy foods til your body heals itself.. But eventually the bloating with go away,, But dont be afraid to burp or let the gas go. But becareful cause you might end up running to the washroom..

take care and hope this helps..

• Posted

thank you.  I just am going to have to force myself to drink more water.  It's very difficult for me. 

• Posted

do you eat gluten or dairy?
    • Posted

I might eat a piece of organic bread once a week and my GI doc told me to eat yogurt every day which I almost always do. I also have 1 c low fat milk in a smoothie twice a week. I've been thinking of switching to almond milk. 

• Posted

dairy and gluten gave me bloating, gas and upset tummy pre removal, havent touched them since and have no issue with bloat. I have read these are common and ask dairy and gluten are damaging to the gut and inflammatory, worth removing anyway.
    • Posted

I hope that drinking more water works for you.  I used to hate drinking water, but now I tote a 1 liter bottle with me wherever I go.  I drink water with my meals, too.  You will get many benefits from drinking so much. For one thing, the skin on your face will look amazing because your body is hydrated enough to work well.

Some people cannot tolerate dairy.  I'm lactose intolerant, so I use 2% lactose free milk,  Before you switch to any milk alternative, read the label carefully. I think you might find that there are more chemicals in the milk than the substance, such as almonds, it's supposed to contain. smile 

Also, if you eat yogurt with active cultures, you might already have sufficient bacteria in your gut.

Finally, if you decide to go gluten free and give up bread, lots of gluten free products contain rice flour.  Folks that eat a lot of products containing rice flour have been shown to have higher levels of arsenic in their blood, which some doctors have expressed concern about.  xx  

• Posted

thank you for your insight!  Starting today, I'm keeping track of how much I drink.  So far this a.m., I've had 28 oz.!  And so I took a 14 oz bottle of water to work so when I get home, will start drinking some more!

I know my skin is so dry (thyroid issues too) and wrinkly. 

I will definitely check out the milk situation and maybe I should just add water to that protein drink instead!

really appreciate the help.

• Posted

I also am hypothyroid.  Sounds like you are, too.  I would suggest that you keep adding milk to that protein drink.  Milk and tea also count as water, but just plain water's good, too.  I make sure I drink 64 ounces of water in addition to the tea I drink every day.  

How I know I'm becoming dehydrated is that I start to feel dizzy and my lips start drying up.  I'm 68, so being dizzy and possibly falling is a concern for me.  

You are very welcome!  Please let me know how you're doing! xx

• Posted

Yes - have hypothyroidism - I'm 62, have had it for 28 years.  Ok, I'll keep adding milk.  I didn't know that would count as liquid.  Definitely know about drying up - I am always up in the middle of the night, and try to drink water then too. 

I was wondering did you gradually get to the 64 oz. or did you do it gradually?  Do you find that you have to go to the bathroom alot ? Hope that's not too personal : )

• Posted

I was diagnosed at age 40.  Unfortunately, I wasn't diagnosed until my periods stopped, but I hadn't been feeling well for a couple of years.  I'd been seeing a gp who didn't recognize the signs.  Of course, I no longer patronized him after that.  

I just carry a bottle around with me and try to make sure I take a gulp or two every so often.  Yes, I do go to the bathroom lots (there's almost nothing "too personal" to ask on this site, ha ha!).  Another sign that you're properly hydrated is that your pee will be very, very light yellow or be almost colorless.  

• Posted

Hi Debra, yes drink more water although I know I don't get down 64 ounces a day but most importantly research after gallbladder removal diets and bile supplementation. Off the top of my head dairy, spicy and high fat foods should be avoided but for me ox bile stopped the bloating and gas

• Posted

Thank you for your input. 

With the oxbile what is the strength and dosage? I've heard of that. Thanks 

• Posted

I usually use two 125 mg capsules with meals but everyone is different so its a trial and error kind of thing, too much and you'll get diarrhea. Research YouTube there are several good videos on what happens to your digestion with no gallbladder and more information on ox bile too. Good luck to you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.