Bloating and constipation after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

April Of this year I had my gallbladder removed. A very unexpected surgery. Had gallstones that were being passed. 

After healing, I read tons of books, blogs. Since then I have tried all kinds of digestive enzymes, Smooth move tea every other day, prunes, fiber, eating lean meat, low fat, exercise 5-6 days a week( walk on treadmill) and weights and yet I still suffer from major bloating, gas, and irregular bowels. My stomach when extended looks like I am 3-4 months  pregnant! 

Any one else else have similar symptoms?? And any other suggestions??  Something that has worked for you?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder out about three years ago, I was 24. Mine came up like a stomach flu type symptoms before having it out. They said it was only working at 20%. Couldn't keep anything down. The only thing that helped before having it out was Nexium. (I love that stuff!) After surgery, it was okay until I got to my normal diet again. Anytime I would eat more than a small snack, I would have to lie down and lay on my left side until I could handle being upright again. 

Couldn't belch or pass gas is the biggest issue, honestly. I now eat apple sauce with fresh ground cinnamon on it twice a day, I drink lotsss of water (a liter or more a day is my goal), I take a probiotic and digestive enzymes (digestive enzymes are with each meal and it really helps a lot!), and I try to drink peppermint tea (which really helps with a lot of things digestion is one of them) regularly when I remember. 

I've only found most of these things to help cope due to my boyfriend's mother who is an RN and is really into alternative lifestyle. Before her I just thought I would always have to be in pain after meals and going to the bathroom. I do have one question.  The RN that is really helpful to me has mentioned that if I don't cut out the fatty foods that it will shorten my lifespan. Is that true? (She is very informed, but sometimes takes things too seriously)

• Posted

Hi, Debra! I am 2 weeks post surgery, only been off pain meds  for 6 days, and am having similar trouble. I’m still not cleared for abdominal workouts, but I clean my house (deep scrubbing...hands and knees until I am dripping sweat), drink water and Sprite constantly and STILL can’t coax anything but the smallest amount of matter when I go. I  hope you are doing better after 4 months has passed, and if so, please share some tips! Oh. I have had IBS with constipation for 20+ years...do you have similar trouble? Everyone I know personally has complained about having to rush to the restroom as soon as they eat, and I was really looking somewhat forward to that!
    • Posted

I hear you there Rachel people told me that too and I was looking forward to it. Very very seldom does food go in and directly out and it's been a while I'm constantly constipated and it drives me insane I drink a lot of tea everyday cold tea anyway I'll drink a lot of coffee I take probiotics I take a lot of vitamins but I am on pain medication because I broke my leg and they put it back together wrong and so I am disabled now I don't get enough exercise but I can't exercise I'm so tired of being constipated it drives me insane

• Posted

Hi Robin! I'm 12 days post-op from gallbladder removal and the constipation just began several days ago, likely because I'm eating food again. Prior to that was the opposite. Someone mentioned a product by Traditional Medicinals called Smooth Move (tea). It does help. Same company offers Ginger Aid tea which got me through some very tough times with indigestion and bloating. (it's the only Ginger tea that tell you there's 2000 mg of non-gmo ginger.) It doesn't taste great, but I loved how much better I felt after drinking it. Also, a few days post-op I began drinking an Emergen-C packet with a Metamucal packet and that is helping and tastes pretty good too. Sweet potatoes are awesome! Lots of fiber and they taste good. Carrots are another high fiber food I have been eating. I'm still working on having a set routine and regular eating plan, so I'm not "there" yet. I did eliminate all dairy which helped immensely, especially before the surgery. If you're eating yogurt, the best one for me was Activia which contains probiotics. Blueberries always made me feel better as well, and I've been reading about the benefits of beets. I hope something in here helps you. The pain meds certainly cause constipation, so you may have a new and better future ahead of you without them.

Blessings to you dear. 

• Posted

I had my gb out 4 months ago and am also going through this. 🙁

• Posted

Thank you for posting your story, I found your comments and and others comment to be very helpful. I had to have my gallbladder removed about a year an a half ago when I was 25, and like many people, for me it was a very unexpected thing to deal with. I also had pains for almost 2 years before I knew what was really happening inside my own body. I thought it was just really bad indigestion because when I would try to explain it, that's what other people thought it might be. But I knew it wasn't but I let everyone convince me it was normal, even though it was the worst pain have ever felt. The bloating is annoying, the gas I can deal with cause then I know that my body is actually digesting food and its moving the way it's suppose to. But the freagin constipation is the worst, even when I drink water all day, eat my fruits and veggies and even eat spicy foods I sometimes still have constipation problems, even after almost 2years without my gallbladder. But honestly compared to how I felt before the surgery and what the alternative options were besides the gall bladder removal, I can say I'm better off. There is one trick I use to relieve constipation. I drink orange juice when it gets really bad, and I think it's a natural laxative but I happen to be slightly allergic to citrus fruits so it almost works immediately for me, and it doesn't make me gaseous but it sort of 'cleans me out' (excuse the expression). I do not recommend this, especially for anyone who may have more extreme allergies

• Posted

I know this is old but I’d like to share, I have the exact same problems. Had my gallbladder out 6 months ago. First month-okay, then started issues. I am constantly bloated, like someone is blowing up a balloon in my rib cage. I’m backed up into my small intestine. I saw a GI doctor and they helped with relief, just gas x and laxative 3x a day. Still working on finding a reason. 

They suggest a liver issue or celiac disease. Could even been a stomach bacteria! It’s not all acid reflux or just diet. 

Go see a GI doctor. Get some imaging done of your Bowles and maybe an upper endoscopy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.