Blocked ear due to anxiety

Posted , 48 users are following.

I wrote on hear a few weeks back. I explained that I was suffering from a blocked ear, I was using steroid nose spray all the time to unblock it and I was suffering from dizziness, reduced vision sometimes in one eye, foggy mind and anxiety.

It turns out the ear problem was a symptom of anxiety. I cannot believe it, I thought the ear was causing anxiety but it's the other way round. It turns out anxiety can trigger physical issues that you would never put together. I haven't had a single issue with my ears now since I learnt it's anxiety and it was really impacting my life before this for nearly a year. Now I'm being treated for anxiety, I notice that the dizziness happens when anxiety is triggered. Since I'm learning how to deal with it my life is becoming much better. Anyone that has anxiety as a symptom of a blocked ear please check this out. BTW I was so surprised I had anxiety because I'm so happy, confidant never had issues with it before so you just never know. 

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Edited

thanks for sharing that.  I too sometimes wonder although i have a diagnosis of BPPV?MAV if my anxiety is also increasing my problems with  balance.  I don't feel stressed as such so it is hard to say.  What treatement are you receivng for the anxiety?
    • Posted

I wasn't stressed and I'm still not, life is actually really good which is why I found it hard to understand why I had anxiety. One thing I noticed is when I start to feel anxiety, the symptoms come back to what I thought was a blocked ear, including dizziness, poor vision etc. It all started from when I had my first and hopfull my last panic attack, at which I was diagnosed with Lalabyrinthitis.

​ The treatment I'm currently having is some 

• Posted

I wasn't stressed and I'm still not, life is actually really good which is why I found it hard to understand why I had anxiety. One thing I noticed is when I start to feel anxiety, my symptoms come back to what I thought was a blocked ear, including dizziness, poor vision etc. It all started from when I had my first and hopefully my last panic attack, at which I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis last year.

​The treatment I'm currently having is some COB, I really didn’t want to take medication. I started exercising, listening to meditation. I wrote down a journal for every time I had a trigger and start analysing it. I realised that it only happened at work, or around people that I didn’t feel comfortable which can be social anxiety.  Soon enough I realised what and how to manage these triggers and smooth it over. There is also some really good stuff on youtube to listen to in your own time. It’s still here but it is getting better and better with time.

• Posted

glad to hear you are feeling so much better, agree it's best to avoid medication if you can.
    • Posted

What did you do for your clogged ears? I have clogged ears as well I think due to anxiety

• Posted

are you still experiencing this because of anxiety? i have been to ENT he said everything is fine but i am suffering from anxiety.

• Posted

here I am in January 2023, going through the same thing that everybody's posting here. so now I'm just checking in to see what people who posted a long time ago, how are you doing now? I'm having all kind of weird issues with my ears that just all son happened two weeks before christmas. never had them in my 56 years of my life, can it really be anxiety? I mean I do have some symptoms I got sick with vertigo but that came and went. but maybe that also was called by anxiety? I dare say that to a doctor because I want them to test me out and do some tests, but if they find nothing wrong with me then I guess I'll have to look at myself and maybe get a therapist or control my anxiety. thank you, reading these posts make me feel like I'm not alone at least

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your post. I have a clogged ear rt now I feel when I'm busy and not thinking of it it goes away. But when it comes back it's real clogged and it's causing me great deal of anxiety.

Did your feel clogged, sensitive to noise muffled etc? I went to ENT and of course he said that ear looks great.

I hope this isn't a life long feeling. Please help w a reply.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Niko, 

i got the same in rt ear and when I hear loud noises it effects me. I'm looking at my anxiety and hopefully it will work, did the same as you ENT they couldn't find anything. 

• Posted

Hi Niko,

I have is too big time. Muffled, physically blocked, sensitive. It's part of the muscles tensing and protecting you (anxiety). I give my self a quick massage around the ears, stretch out your neck (SCM) and boom, problem solved. It'll come back, but just rinse and repeat. 

Hope this works, I'm confident it'll help you out.

• Posted

OH MY Word I tried you tip and its gone thank you so much. Just to find out it is anxiety is a relief but your tip has worked wonders thanks x
    • Posted

Hi!  Thanks for your replies to everyone in this forum.   I am experiencing this same problem badly.   What is the tip that you shared?   I have plugged Esra constantly from anxiety that I suffer from.   I’d love to learn about either permanent or temporary relief from this.   Please help.   Thanks very much.  Have a great weekend.   Chris
    • Posted

are you still experiencing this? if not how did it go away?

• Posted

hi i think we spoke of this 5 years ago if my investigating on here is correct i have been great for that long..all of the sudden i am driving to work after New Years and BOOM my ear clogged blocked sensitive full dull loss of hearing etc..went to ENT and noting was there all looked good and was even more sad as i was hoping there was fluid in the ear or something..now i have it all back again and went to ent again and even got an MRI with contrast and it was again clear and looked great...now i have this again, please tell me this will go away and and its from my anxiety? I am struggling so bad right now because i fear it will never go away and that i will live with this forever..please help me

• Posted

I have some similar stuff what you guys are going through but I do have one different thing, when I laid down, to try to sleep these last weeks, I'm awaken up with pressure in my ear, and then of course all the sounds in my ear from the pressure or whatever inwards hitting the eardrums outwards. I'm going to bed all calm, could this really be anxiety? I now sit up right with pillows propped up thinking it's something to do with drainage in my inner ear lol.

• Posted

I know some of these posts are many years ago lol, but I'm going through what you guys were going through back then. I know you're not on this site anymore but in case it emails you, how are you feeling today everybody? could it really be anxiety all this stuff? right now I'm sitting in my ears are kind of plugged, and I'm just trying not to focus, I've been going through this for about 5 weeks. my life has pretty much stopped, do not want to socialize but I still do but I'm not great company lol, waiting for my ENT appointment for next month. it's taking forever, in my head anyway. I just have this feeling he'll say everything's fine even though I feel like it's my inner ear with air problems or liquid in there, I guess they can do a test to figure if there is something. wow what the brain can do to us. 😃 thanks everyone

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I'm not sure if you are still checking this site, but i have a somewhat similar issue with my left ear. It will feel plugged and then also react to sound and feel more plugged and I hear a sound that comes and goes. I know anxiety can cause your body to create symptoms. its very unsettling when its your ear and its right there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.