Blocked ear due to anxiety

Posted , 48 users are following.

I wrote on hear a few weeks back. I explained that I was suffering from a blocked ear, I was using steroid nose spray all the time to unblock it and I was suffering from dizziness, reduced vision sometimes in one eye, foggy mind and anxiety.

It turns out the ear problem was a symptom of anxiety. I cannot believe it, I thought the ear was causing anxiety but it's the other way round. It turns out anxiety can trigger physical issues that you would never put together. I haven't had a single issue with my ears now since I learnt it's anxiety and it was really impacting my life before this for nearly a year. Now I'm being treated for anxiety, I notice that the dizziness happens when anxiety is triggered. Since I'm learning how to deal with it my life is becoming much better. Anyone that has anxiety as a symptom of a blocked ear please check this out. BTW I was so surprised I had anxiety because I'm so happy, confidant never had issues with it before so you just never know. 

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ive been struggling for about two years now with a muffled, fullness and pain in my ears. Ive been to ent twice and they can’t find anything and neither can the doctors. I’m forever off balance, dizzy, Uneasy, as time as gone on I have now found out I am suffering from anxiety but also from labyrinthitis. What is the treatment for this?
  • Posted

So glad I’m not alone with this! I’m an oral cancer survivor with significant hearing loss in my left year from radiation and oesteoradionecrosis. Infrequently my right ear will plug for no apparent reason, inducing a anxiety/ panic attack. Something about hearing my breathing makes it really unpleasant. I thought it was just another of the myriad of issue post cancer. I’ll be talking to my ENT tomorrow

• Posted

I have been suffering for a complete year and this is taking over my life . I have done too many ear tests and nothing comes off wrong . Please tell me how was it diagnosed as anxiety for you and what did u do? 
    • Posted

hi ive been suffering this for 2 yr now and its just going from bad to worse ..i do have anxiety but im convinced this is nit anxiety n not getting answers is driving me insane n now its more than anxiety it is full blown stress ive list 5 stone in weight because if all of this 😗 did you get to find out what yours was and are you any better

• Posted

I have that same issue. I know I have anxiety, but it comes when I feel my ear blocked.  What treatment did you use?

• Posted

Hi, i know this is an old post but did you manage to get rid of the ear pressure?
    • Posted

Raj32711.. I did get some relief . Dec 2017 I had anther ear infection/was preceded by a sinus infection/ anxiety too.  My doctor prescribed Doxycycline and a Medrol Pak.  I had never taken Medrol before, it's a series of meds for 7 days.  I  wound up having to take 2 rounds of those meds.  I been feeling great, better then I had felt for past 2.5 yr.  no anxiety, no ear fullness or pain, no sinus congestion.  Right now I feel as if my sinus start to act up.  Tinnitus remains, sometime loud other times low which began 2.5 yr ago after I took zithromycin for the first sinus issue😳 I hope you can get some relief soon.

• Posted

I'm having the fullness in the ears and getting what feels like lightheadedness, it starts to mess with my anxiety and I feel like I have MS or something bad... what do you say to a doctor to make them look at other options rather than just saying its anxiety

• Posted

I have seen a neurologist two weeks ago because I thought it could also be a sign of MS or the beginning of some kind weird neurological disorder . They checked for everything possible and still came up with sever anxiety causing physical symptoms. I have also fullness including constant ringing in my ear with lightheadedness including jaw stress pain.  My symptoms get worse at night or when I feel tired.  Let me know if you come up with anything else you think we can check for. I’m out of ideas. 
    • Posted

Hi did you find any medication to treat your symptoms? I’m feeling the same. My ears both plug for no apparent reason and only the Valsalva movement unplugs them, but then a few moments after they become plugged again. I have been taking GERD tablets to elongate the possibility that acid reflux has been causing these symptoms. The doctor prescribed them to me. However no luck. Can anyone share their own coping strategies? 
    • Posted

Hi...how are u feeling now...any improvement?
    • Posted

Not really . It hard to believe this is due to anxiety though when I can relax & feel safe symptoms do lessen . 

• Posted

Hi ginger....see here you go.. trust me it has a lot to  do with anxiety, I did pass through major stuff, like break up, loss of job and financial issues all at once.. it was hard to cope with everything, then suffered from several panic attacks for no reason and right after this I had my left ear blocked then few days after the right one, and been living with pressure the last two years. some docs said I have menerize disease, but I don't think as I never suffered from vertigo

• Posted

Have you seen a psychologist or psychiatrist? Homeopathic Dr ? What do you do to relax & cope ? I did Skype sessions with a “ Somatic Experience “ practitioner . That seemed to help . If you’re interested go to YouTube & check out Dr Peter Levine .  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.