Blocked ear due to anxiety

Posted , 48 users are following.

I wrote on hear a few weeks back. I explained that I was suffering from a blocked ear, I was using steroid nose spray all the time to unblock it and I was suffering from dizziness, reduced vision sometimes in one eye, foggy mind and anxiety.

It turns out the ear problem was a symptom of anxiety. I cannot believe it, I thought the ear was causing anxiety but it's the other way round. It turns out anxiety can trigger physical issues that you would never put together. I haven't had a single issue with my ears now since I learnt it's anxiety and it was really impacting my life before this for nearly a year. Now I'm being treated for anxiety, I notice that the dizziness happens when anxiety is triggered. Since I'm learning how to deal with it my life is becoming much better. Anyone that has anxiety as a symptom of a blocked ear please check this out. BTW I was so surprised I had anxiety because I'm so happy, confidant never had issues with it before so you just never know. 

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a similar issue 2 years ago I asked my neighbour and she suggested to get a second medical opinion
  • Posted

i know this is a very old post but did your anxiety get treated? i have the same symptoms as you
    • Posted

I have the same symptoms with my ears gushing, I do suffer with anxiety. I have other symptoms as well. Klonopin has been a lifesaver for me
    • Posted

hi, did you try anti depressants to see if they worked?
    • Posted

I did. Tried lexapro and celexa. Both gave me more anxiety. Had to stop. They want to try another one me but I’m scared. I’m already anxious, don’t want to feel worse than I do now
    • Posted

I did. Tried lexapro and celexa. Both gave me more anxiety. Had to stop. They want to try another one me but I’m scared. I’m already anxious, don’t want to feel worse than I do now. 
    • Posted

Im on celexa, I have not noticed any difference yet. 😪

• Posted

Nothing really works. I have tried buspar two times a day and even Xanax when I have panic attacks at my office from crazy stress. It gets better but as the day progresses by around 7pm and I’m tired nothing helps, all the symptoms are back in full swing. I wake up in the morning and my ears have a constant ring but not clogged yet.  I’m a very happy person generally and love my life. But this is serious debilitating. 
    • Posted

Yeah, I dont have any problems either... 

ive been on citalopram for 2 months now, and i must say that its slightly helping... not a great deal but slightly

• Posted

I also suffer from similar problems and now its affecting my work.especially the panic attacks and i had inproved but now again its back for some reasonf.do letme know if u find something helpful
    • Posted

10mg citalopram per day. Its made the world of difference. I held off for years and now finally feel like life is normal, i took it for 1 year now. Ear issues are normal, sometimes I get tmj from nighttime clenching.
  • Posted

I have the same symptoms with my ears gushing, I do suffer with anxiety. I have other symptoms as well. Klonopin has been a lifesaver for me
    • Posted

Hi dee: how are you making out with your ear problem? Hope you have some good word. Thanks and keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.