Blocked ear stuffy nose and dizzy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi just wondering anyone suffering the same as me I've not had hayfever for a couple of years but this year got it really bad. Started about 6 weeks ago with stuffy nose blocked ear numerous trips to docs who said I have ear and throat infection had 2 lots of antibiotics plus taking antihistamines thought it had cleared up but it just seems to be getting worse I have a feeling of cotton wool in my right ear sometimes I feel like I'm loosing my balance I get a flush in my face which in turn makes me very anxious and panicky I just feel so stuffed up and cannot breath I have since been diagnosed with atrial fribullation but my consultant said this has nothing to do with it. I'm just so fed up of feeling like this I do have a lot of energy and I'm always on the go but when I feel like this I just get so run down and don't feel like doing anything. Sorry to go on just wondered if anyone else is feeling the same way during this hayfever season. Many thanks

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I have the same problems with my ears take allergiy tablets for a long list of allergies worse in summer 3 things that have helped me are haxmax and prevalin from Boots and steam with olbas oil in it.
    • Posted

Thanks Chris I will certainly try olbas oil and steam I haven't heard of ha max let you know how I get on.

many thanks

• Posted

what if it's not a allergy and it's a intolerance? Maybe histamine intolerance?! It's pretty unknown so far, should go for a diagnosis to your allergist and if you are really intolerant, if heard a lot about a dietary supplement called Daosin.It helps if you are intolerant to histmamine
    • Posted

Thanks Alex for your reply I don't think it's an intolerance I don't seem to have symptoms all year round mind you not had hayfever for last couple of years maybe a little last year but not as bad as this I've now got sinus infection and on antibiotics I'm still getting blocked nose and ears and feels like pressure on the top on my head coz I'm finding it hard to breath properly if it doesn't clear up I will take your advise and see about it. I'm sick of feeling light headed and miserable but I suppose it's all the symptoms of allergy associated with cold. Keep smiling hope you are well.
  • Posted

You got it right, hay fever causes a swelling that makes you prone to infections. Are you any better? If the hay fever comes back out of control a second year you may ask your doctor to refer you to an allergic clinic within the NHS (only in England) if not you may get private and enquire for an allergic vaccination, that will improve your condition, also some people get rid totally of symptoms, the best  treatments are pollinex 4 and Grazax (a tablet) but it depends on what you are allergic to. I post this now because it's something you can only do before the spring.

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms except for the afib part.  I do believe the afib is a different problem and not related to your other symptoms.  I used to get itchy ears stuffed up nose so stuffed up I couldn't breath.  It would get so bad I felt like I haf the flu.  Lost my balance and would get dizzy also.  Always on antbiotics to clear infections caused by the allergies.  I know your misery well.  This is what I did and it worked wonders.  I started on sublingual allergy drops.  I am in the US so it was hard to find a doctor that dealt in them because they are not appoved here as of yet.  Not sure if you are in the US or UK.  They were a life saver.  After about 3 months I was clear for the first time in years.  Just one drop under my tongue one a day and no more misery.  I thought it was a miracle. Another problem I have are nasal polyps.  They also clog the nasal passages.  But I have been feeling really good since the drops.  I have been clear three years now.  The only problem I have is when I get a cold and it clears quickly unlike before it would send me in a downward spiral of infection and more antibiotics.  If you have them where you are at I would look into them.  They are much better than allergy shots in my opionion.  I don't like needles is why I looked for them in the first place.  They don't work for everyone but they were a life saver for me.  Good Luck
    • Posted

Hi Rhondas thank you for your reply I live I the uk I have never heard of these drops but I will certainly look them up.i have recently seen a consultant who said I don't have polyps but I do have a deviated septrum so I have to have a small operation I hope this puts its right. Funny thing is the bad weather is coming upon us the misery of dark nights miserable days with fog and chills but I seem to be breathing a bit better but I do know what you mean when you get blocked up itchy ears which I turn makes you feel dizzy and off balance I hate that feeling I will keep you posted with regards to my operation.
    • Posted

These drops are from Europe. Statoral 300 is the most common but also come in self melting tablets. In the NHS is almost impossible to get hence most people get them private. Have you ask your doctor to refer you to an allergy clinic? Is the only way to know which allergy is.
    • Posted

Not sure if you are talking about what I said about allergy drops.  The drops I am talking about are not a drug but actual allergans that are formulated into drop form, for individuals for that person allergies.  I believe they also originated in Europe but we can get them here in the US.  They just are not widely used yet.  I was willing to try anything and it worked like magic.
    • Posted

Staloral 300 is made by stallergenes which just merged with Greer lab from America. They both do allergen preparations for immunotherapy. These drop seem to work well for hay fever sufferers but less to allergics to dust mites like me. In Europe hay fever patients have more options such as polinex Quattro which are four allergic shots before the pollen season. It is an licensed vaccine available privately in the UK. I know all this because I have been trying to get rid of my allergic rhinitis for a while. Allergy shots for mites are not available in the UK (few exceptions to that) hence I have keept researching for new treatments to come to the market. In the end I decided to fly once a month to Barcelona to get an allergy shot (vaccine), just after my 8th dose I achieved my first milestone, I had a cold with no complications, sinus infection or antibiotics, never been happier for being "just" cold.
    • Posted

I forgot to tell you, Rhonda most people in the UK do not know what allergic shots are, because their public service do not offer it. Private medicine is surprisingly not well developed in here unless you are in London, however I am posting a link from the UK to let Glitzy know about what we are talking about. I do not agree at all with this guideline but It will give a proper idea of what you can find in the UK i.e: Grazax (Grastek in USA)

https://patient.info/doctor/Hyposensitisation.htm

• Posted

Dave I also have allergies to mites/dog and cat along with everything else on earth.  smile  When I started my sublingual allergy drops I was miserable all day 365 days a year.  Multiple sinus infections,colds a year. Prednisone was a drug in my life constantly.  I also have nasal polyps that would flair up with each cold or infection.   When I started to take my drops it took about 3 months and it was like a miracle.  I wasn't able to use my nose to breath in years.  All of a sudden I began to smell things (good and bad) that I hadn't smelled in years.  Now this fall I do have a small reation to the molds but nothing to worry about.  It's to bad that you have to fly once a month to get relief.  I had to research just to find the allergy drops here.  Only a few will give them.  Most doctors will tell you not to take them because they say they haven't been proven.  I was willing to try anything.and glad I did. I am glad you have some relief now.  What we allergy sufferers won't do to get relief.biggrin
    • Posted

Thanks Dave I will certainly look into this it's amazing how different medications work for people in different countries. It's just as well we can all come together on this site. Many thanks
    • Posted

Glitzy I emailed and I goggle everything available in the UK. I even read the NHS guidelines hence I totally support your decision to go private but once you have the op will not be the end. I had the surgery in November last year and I thought was screwed. I still had blocked nose. Then in 2015 I started allergy shots in Spain whilst my GP in the UK changed my antihistamine to fexofenadil (NHS). Then my nose unblocked and I could feel the surgery goods. Any question just send a private message.
    • Posted

Hi Dave did you have a deviated septrum too I must admit my symptoms seem to of eased a bit I don't feel so blocked up don't know if it's climate change or what. I am a bit frightened of the operation and wonder if I should have it especially if it's not a success. I think I can live with my symptoms to a certain degree just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or had the operation. Many thanks
    • Posted

Yes I have ans the surgery is not as big deal as it seems. The aim of the surgery is facilitate access to the sprays you use and help in the selfdrain process so I would not call it off but if you do not investigate your allergy with an allergy clinic in the winter for the next summer it could come back. These two procedure are both needed to make it work.
    • Posted

Hi Dave thanks for your reply I don't feel to bad at the moment but your right if I don't go ahead with the operation it may come back next year fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.