Blocked nose

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi girls - I hope you are all doing well today.  I am simply fed up with getting a blocked nose all the time - it started about two months ago and I've been using nasal sprays which do work but for only a certain amount of time and then I have to repeat.  I'm peri meno now for about two years.  Does anyone know if this is related to peri/meno or does anyone else experience this?  It's really boring - yr opinions are much appreciated.  Have a totally blocked nose right now - it did go away for about three weeks last month but now back again. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sophie

i gave had a blocked nose and a warm feeling in my throat for just over a year now, I have seen the Ent and they can't find what it is, I've also had allergy tests, so they are putting mine down to peri, hope this helps 😄😄

• Posted

Thank you - I've had so many tests for other symptoms and this one has now been 'thrown into the ring' - it's really boring but have read allergies are exacerbated during peri.  It's really boring as everyone thinks I have a stinking cold which I don't.  My nose is just blocked - nothing else!!  Anyway, thank you for commenting - it really helps x
  • Posted

Yes allergies can become worse in peri! I had no idea I never had allergies in my life and over the last five years ughhhh sinus headaches which in turn can go to a migraine nose always stuffed sometimes I'm not sure if I have a cold which I haven't had one in years all allergy and sinus related! There are so many signs and symptoms you would never think are peri related I too use the sprays which aren't the greatest to use but I can't breathe other wise
    • Posted

Me too - I can't breathe either and I'm asthmatic anyway albeit mildly so it really doesn't help.  Thank you for your comment - bloody hormones....
  • Posted

I believe it is peri. I get a blocked nose all the time now just out of nowhere. My nose is blocked today as I write this and its getting on my nerves. Makes me feel like I can't breathe.
    • Posted

I feel for you but at the same time relieved that others have this too.  Makes me feel a lot better and might avoid yet another trip to the dr who think I'm going mad anyway.  Thank you
  • Posted

Sophie I don't know but nothing surprises me, I have sinus issues and headaches I keep away from nasal sprays as they can make it worse, so I use Vicks vapor rub ...I put some on a q tip and insert it inside my nostrils, opens up the nasal passages and saline spray moistens my membranes. Give it a try hope it helps. xx
    • Posted

I will - thank you for that.  Been using the sprays but only at night so I can breathe.  It helps but I don't want to be using them for lengthy periods of time.  The sprays keep my close clear for about 10hrs and then blocks up like concrete again.  No wonder we all get down over fairly minor things but it's the feeling they just wont go away until the meno is finally over which could be YEARS - big sigh but thanks for your comment x
  • Edited

No, not at all.  Your nose has nothing to do with that.  If you have a fan, move it.  If you drinking alcohol it could dry up your sinuses and or some meds.  See a regular MD.
  • Posted

Also I've used those nose strips too.  I had a hysterectomoy on eyr ago and also PM medicine will dry up your sinuses-so get yourself some prescribed sleep meds and not OTC.. so  no fans, no alcohol too.
  • Edited

Sophie, don't use anything but saline too!
    • Posted

Ok - I don't use a fan and haven't had a drop of alcohol since New Year.  Will try saline spray and hope it works.  Thank you
    • Edited

HI,

I use saline--they gave it to me in the hospital to flush your nose out, its good during cold/flu seasons.  Keeps you from getting sick and that was on the oncology wing.  I would try one of those nose things if chep old saline does not do the trick.  It will drain all the irritants you inhale and you blow it out your nose!  No meds

• Posted

I sometimes get the stuffy nose, within minutes sometimes. I can sound like I've got a stinking cold and then for whatever reason, it just disappears. 

I've read the too much progesterone can cause sinus congestion. I have the Mirena coil fitted and I do wonder if when my hormones are out of whack, it iis why it happens. I'd definitely say that hormones can and do cause this.

• Posted

Hi BugglyBot

i too had the mirena fitted and it was after this my probs started, I had it removed 3 weeks ago and I haven't been has bad, so I think there could be a connection there 

• Posted

Hi. I'd definitely say Sue that the Mirena coil can cause congestion in the nose. I've seen it written a few times..something to do with too much progresterone, (I think?). When our hormones are all over the place, I think that is when our noses get bunged up, etc. I certainly have to wipe it more and it burns sometimes too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.