Blocked Throat

Posted , 15 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi ladies,  I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have recently started to have this strange feeling in my throat.  It's like there is something blocking it - which there isn't.  It's not all the time but when i do get it i feeel really, really anxoius.  I am hoping this is another horribel symptom of peri and nothing more.  I seem to be getting myself into a state these days about everything.  I swear I have diagnosed myself with EVERY illness known to man.  Any advice would be appreciated girls. xx

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ang77, I am right there with you, going back to the doctors tonight to see if there is anything else I can do for it.  I have just started HRT so my hormones are up in the air anyway, but the anxiety is the thing that is getting me the most.  It makes you not want to go anywhere or do anything.

Anxiety is a big sympton with the menopause.

xx

• Posted

thanks andrea92630, my GP is shocking.  She just makes me feel like I'm waisting her time whenever I go.  They diagnose you with this thing, then send you on your way with no advice.  My anxiety is thru the roof at the moment.  I only want to be around my family as that's the only time I feel comfortable. xx
    • Posted

Is it possible to change GPs at this point? You really don't need them to treat you that way. How about a GYN doctor to help you through this time?

Just a thought.

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi Andrea...may I ask which HRT you're taking? My OB/GYN has suggested I start, but I'm a bit unsure. Have you seen any symptom improvement yet?
    • Posted

Ang i really do know what your going through, it oo only wnat to be around family and friends though having said this i had five of them around this dinner  time and i felt ill, i just cant cope with even this sometimes especially when im trying to cook dinner, I to dont wnat to do anything or go anywhere. xx

• Posted

Is that it? My anxiety and being useless not wanting to do anything and go anywhere is due to menapause? And feeling painful when in Public places? I am new to this group , I am 54 years old this year. I had acid reflux three weeks ago that was the first and only time. I blamed it on my glutony over breakfast because I was trying to eat lunch and breakfast before I go ou for the day. I regretted, because it was really painful. last week I drank Garcinia infused water I felt the skin of my lips shrivelled and so imagined my stomach lining! Will not do that again. Yesterday I find it hard to breath like there is a blockage somewhere in my my chest or is it in my throat? I was afraid that I might die while I sleep but I was fine this morning but the stiff in my chest is felt after breakfast till now. I am googling to find answer and I found this site, hope I get some response from other ladies . GPs here in Malaysia do not have time to hear this grandma stories. They'd ask what is wrong and out came the prescription. I resort to prepare concoction of traditional herbs most of the time but today I am more worried because I never had anything this serious .

I would be glad to hear from you.

• Posted

Hi sharifah , i to had the same feelings in the chest and throat i was given an inhaler the doc said your lung s get a bit weak when going through meno then correct after thats why you feel this i have 4 friends in perimeno  and on inhalers it helps a lot try to ask your doctor about this its only for a short while
  • Posted

It could be GERD/acid reflux....I was diagnosed with that (along with a hiatal hernia) last year....could also be a symptom of anxiety....I'm blaming all of this on perimenopause...I've had a horrific two years, but am finally beginning to feel better....hang in there!!!!
    • Posted

thanks wearykitty.   I do suffer from acid reflux, i never even though it could be this....I went straight for the life threating illness...lol.  An new symptom I have been having recently is a sour taste in my mouth.  It's really strange. xx

• Posted

Hi Ang,

Aside from having your GP ruling anything sinister out, which most likely nothing is going on, sounds a bit like a bit of anxiety going on.

Seems like for some people, anxiety and sometimes depression increases a bit during certain phases of perimemonpause.  Hypochrondria is another doozey that hits some of us. But most importantly, just have your GP to give you the all clear first and know that you are not alone. 

There are many ways to reduce the anxiety levels, be it taking up Yoga, exercising, talk therapy, increasing your supplements and perhaps discussing with your GP some ideas that may help you. It has taken a variety of things for me to help myself curb the anxiety. Still in peri and not totally free of anxiety, but much improved over the past year. 

Hugs to you!

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi ang 

i have had this when i was in peri ..

its like a golf ball in the throat ... Brought on by anxiety

i dont get it now i am post meno 

jay x

• Posted

That's exactly what is is like jayneejay.

xx

• Posted

Useful info ..

The Possible Causes Of Lump In The Throat. 

Cricopharyngeal spasm – a self-limiting disorder that resolves on its own. It occurs when the cricopharyngeus muscle (also known as the upper esophageal sphincter) starts to spasm instead of contract and relax.

It is the most common cause of the lump throat sensation.

These spasms are often made worse by stress and anxiety, GERD, or thyroid disfunction . 

• Posted

thanks ladies.  i honeslty dont know what i would do without this forum at times. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.