Blocked Throat

Posted , 15 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi ladies,  I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have recently started to have this strange feeling in my throat.  It's like there is something blocking it - which there isn't.  It's not all the time but when i do get it i feeel really, really anxoius.  I am hoping this is another horribel symptom of peri and nothing more.  I seem to be getting myself into a state these days about everything.  I swear I have diagnosed myself with EVERY illness known to man.  Any advice would be appreciated girls. xx

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ANG77

I understand about the anxieties you are going through and yes it is scary. I would not diagnose yourself because that can lead to more anxietis. I do it at times and it just leads me into anxietis. 

You should have things checked out with your throat make sure you don't have a thyroid condition because that can cause a feeling of blockage in the throat or maybe its acid reflux that you have but I would let the doctor check you out.

• Posted

I've had it ,swore it had something in throat. It took me looking at a camera going down my throat whilst having to drink a barium meal drink ,so I then could see throat clear .Nothing there. It's throat spasms .quite common through all ages ,it's a nerve response .After that Hsp visit it went .this was years ago ,but I still now have times of it as I get older ,so it came back ,but I pay no mind now ,it will go ,more stress longer it stays .Stop googling ,and try and relax best you can ,your be surprised .The more you swallow ,longer it will stay ,been there done that .My sister. And friend had it within 3 weeks of each other ,yes spasm for both of them .
  • Posted

Could be your thyroid which is at the front of your neck?
    • Posted

Thyroid. You see swelling ,I had a partoid ,you could see that ,if a visual swelling that definatley needs checking out ,any swellings for that matter ,

If thyroid a dr will check that out  by feeling from behind ,also you get other symptoms .I was told I could get another partoid ,so I'm always aware ,I had mine removed .in menopause you can get a thyroid issue so I'm told .all down to damn hormones again .

• Posted

Hi Marlene 

hey... My doctor better not feel my behind 

😃😃😃😃

jay x

• Posted

Hiya Jay Funny Mrs ,what you like ,my lady dr was good ,she spotted it whilst sat in her chair ,didn't get chance to tell her ,I like her a lot as dr ,she scans you ,how I describe it  just stood behind me and felt all down both sides of my throat ,she got me in quite good time wise to see a Maxi consultant .Female Drs always ,glad more out there in surgeries today .within 6 months I was done and dusted ,even had a skin cancer op same side whilst having partoid removed ,2 for price one op .Good old NHS .
  • Posted

Hi Ang,

My friend had this, and it was low thyroid!

Hope you feel well soon x

• Posted

hi, iv just started on HRT yesterday & immediately felt like I had something in my throat, coincidence mayb, but its worth knowing others get it x
  • Posted

Hiya

I was just going to suggest it may have something to do with acid reflux.  My husband had to exact same symptoms, like something was gripping him around the throat (as if I would!!twisted).  He was prescribed some antacids which helped.  He still gets it occasionally, as I do now, but its sometimes kept at bay when we cut out or back on coffee, anything spicy etc.  I find I sometimes feel like that when I have a bit of a stressy/hyperventilating moment (yeah, that's good ol' Peri for ya!).  Not nice is it.

I see wearykitty left you a post about 6hrs ago much to that effect, so its probably more common that we'd imagine.  There's also a discussion thread on here somewhere about it.  But I think you'd best bite the bullet and nip in to see your GP to see what they've got to help you.  I know there's tons of stuff over-the-counter, but maybe you might need some of the 'good stuff' to make you feel a bit more comfortable.

Let us know how things go x

• Posted

Had/have something similar, and strangely so did my husband!  It was he who told me to consider the possibility of acid reflux.

Also found around same time had what I would have believed to be 'asthma'-type breathing issues. 

Read up on acid reflux - which just so happened to be all over the newspapers at that time - and believe that was what it was for me (opps! us!).

There is a checklist of peri symptoms that I occasionally go back to on here (when I can find the list that is!).  Think I've had quite a few.  - and some - but hate to say it, I think its all par for the course.  If I can get through this cr*p and come out the other end with my sense of humour still in tack, I'll be fine. 

Chin up kiddo.  You're not alone on this site

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.