Blocked Urinating

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 75 year old male in good health.  For the last couple of years I've been wrestling with frequent need to get up at night to pee.   I've had a couple of cystoscopies and tried a couple of drugs.   

The problem became serious for me after a bout of food poisoning, leaving me with periodic diarrhea and constipation.   Whenever I have either one I start having difficult commencing urination and continuing it until my bladder is empty. It may take me 15 minutes in the bathroom at night before I've peed enough to go back to bed.  But because my bladder isn't really empty I'll likely be up again in an hour or 90 minutes.   

My urologist thinks that when I have bowel problems, the increased pressure in my abdomen pushes my prostate into the urethra, partially blocking it. 

I have a 118ml bladder,  36g prostate, no middle lobe. small side lobes.  When I don't have the blockage I have a residual of either 8.5% or 30% depending on which ultrasound test score is used.  

It would seem like there must be some easy way to push my prostate back into position away from my urethra. 

Has anyone had a similar problem?  Found anything that helps?

Thanks  John

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

John sorry that your having a problem.  Ask your doctor about UROLIFT.  It would open up the prostate and the clips will keep it open  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

Ken, I’m hoping to avoid any surgical procedures for awhile.  People seem to be happy with the Urolift but I worry about stapling pins to my innards.
    • Posted

John  I have had them for almost 3 years have never felt them at all.  But I know there working.  Ken
  • Posted

Have you tried kegles?

Eliminating alcohol?

• Posted

Tried Kegles.  Don't drink alcohol.  Thanks Sans.

• Posted

Hi John, you probably have some prostate enlargement problems, aggravating by bowel problems. I have similar problems, mainly constipation and flatulence, which affect my urine flow, so I try not to have bowel problems by eating well and consistent diet. I am also taking some meds for my prostate. I am also considering surgery if things get worse.

Hank

• Posted

Hank, sounds like we have similar situations.   At 36gr my prostate isnt that big. I have diets that deal with my IBS, diets for constipation, diets for well rounded nutrition but I'm struggling to find one diet that does everything.

Lets hope we can solve the problems without surgery.

John

• Posted

John, 118ml bladder ? What does this mean ? Bladder volume when empy or full ? Also, self cathing helps most if you have retention. Otherwise I would hesitate to start it now if other alternatives are available. Hank
    • Posted

Hank,

He has retention during this gastro issues so until he finds a way to solve that self cathing might be helpful.

Jim

• Posted

Jim, I agreed that John could benefit from self cathing. But I am not sure with 118ml bladder, cathing would do him much good. He'll have to cath quite a few times a day. Hank

• Posted

Hank, Depends on by what he means by 118ml bladder. Is it a PVR with or without the gastro issues or is it total capacity. If the former, then CIC could be helpful. IF the latter, he may have OAB and then needs another approach. 

Jim

• Posted

Jim, even if it's PVR, 118ml is kind of low for a 75 year old to start self cathing. If mine is down to 118ml, I would even consider stopping cathing. Hank

• Posted

He said his PVR is only low when gastro problems do not interfere so I'm assuming he has a higher PVR when he has his gastro issues. That would be when he self cath's. Anyway, no sense guessing what 118ml is referring to. 

Jim

• Posted

He could give it a try.  It may help.  I don't know if you remember Frank it started at 88.  No harm trying  God bless all  ken

• Posted

Frank has serious retention, so he really needs to self cath. Hank
    • Posted

Yes I know but it may help John when he needs it.  It's worth a try  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.