Blood clots

Posted , 15 users are following.

5 weeks po PKR and still using the compression hose.  I hate them and was wondering if anyone knows when I'm past the blood clot issue post surgery.  I've had no issues and just want to stop using these hose!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,RethaT. I'm also 5weeks post TKR (my 2nd) and only wore the stockings in hospital. However,after my first in 2013,I was told to wear them for 6 weeks! I don't know which is right but I'm glad I didn't have to wear them this time round. Regards
    • Posted

Thanks Nicky.  I had first knee done Sept and second one done in Dec.  With first one I wore them the whole 6 weeks, per docs instructions but I think he is really conservative.  Was wondering what everyone else does.
    • Posted

I had a TKR in Octber and was told to wear them for 6 weeks.  The last week I stopped wearing them overnight.

liz

• Posted

Hi Retha!

I had my first TKR last June. Wore ace bandages until the two week mark when my staples came out.

My second TKR was this past October. Was given compression hose on left leg prior to surgery then compression hose on Surgical leg which I wore 24/7 until the two week mark when my staples came out.

The two weeks of continuous compression on my right leg (stockings that were thigh high) seemed to do a SUPERB job of keeping swelling down.

I never needed to put them on again after my staples came out.

• Posted

Hi Retha, I also had a PKR and I hated those stockings, but I contacted the hospital ward after I left, to check how long I had to wear them and they said it varies from surgeon to surgeon and mine said the full 6 weeks. To be honest I didn't want to take the risk of getting a blood clot so I did what I was told. Just think only one week to go and then , what a relief. Susan x.
  • Posted

Hi Retha. I'm 4 months past my left TKR and 2 weeks past my right. Both times my PA was fine with taking them off for blood clots but recomended them if I had swelling. I also took 10 days of blood thinning shots right from post op to prevent blood clots.
  • Posted

I wore the compression hose for the one day I was in the hospital (left knee TKR), then for two weeks at home I slept with an automatic compression device that constantly squeezed and released the lower legs.  After staples were removed I was able to discontinue that also.
  • Posted

My instructions were always, 6 weeks. I was always allowed to take them off a t night. When you hear the difference in protocols from Dr to Dr you have to wonder which is correct. However; at the risk of a bloodclot, one of the two worst possible side effects, its a small price to pay for protection. Protection from something that can be fatal.
    • Posted

You're right. I can stick it out one more week! Thanks!
  • Posted

I only wore mine during the day when I was up for three weeks. I'm sure you have been given blood thinners to take to prevent any clots.
  • Posted

Hi Retha T.  I had TKR, November, had to wear the anti -clotting socks for 6 weeks , only one more to go lol 👍
  • Posted

Hi Retha T.  I had TKR, November, had to wear the anti -clotting socks for 6 weeks , only one more to go lol 👍
  • Posted

I was never given them Retha. I am now 9 weeks post TKR so touch wood.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 10 months post op on right and 11 weeks post op on left and my surgeon told me I didn't need them at all.

Lucky me, I know 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.