Blood clots

Posted , 15 users are following.

5 weeks po PKR and still using the compression hose.  I hate them and was wondering if anyone knows when I'm past the blood clot issue post surgery.  I've had no issues and just want to stop using these hose!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi RethaT.  I am 9 weeks post op PKR.  My doctor let me stop using them at 4 weeks.  I like you was so ready to get them off.  But swelling increased in my leg so they thought I might have a blood clot.  That was at 6 weeks post op.  Had a doppler ultra sound done and all was good.  There wasn't a clot so did not have to put them back on. Check with your surgeon though. Each of them is different in their opinion.

• Posted

Hi RethaT,

im at almost 4 months after my bilateral TKR's.  I have a history of blood clots and what's known as " post thrombotic syndrome".  I didn't wear stockings at all before or after the operation and didn't suffer any blood clots.  I once wore the thigh high stocking for 9 months but that was after my first DVT in 1991.  I am on warfarin for life but in 2011, after an arthroscopy, I got another clot so go figure.  I'm in Australia by the way. Different countries, different surgeons, different rules.  

Good on luck with everything.

Sue x

• Posted

The purpose of compression hose is to improve blood flow in the legs. It's during the immediate post operative period when a person is less active and is in bed for long periods of time that embolisms are more likely to occur. Following major surgery, you'll probably be on bed rest. You won't be using your leg muscles, and that slows your blood flow. Once a person becomes active and walking and exercising freely, the likelihood of embolism decreases dramatically. Physical therapy and increased physical activity naturally decreases the risk of blood clots. Anti-clotting drugs like Lovenox, Heparin or Eliquis are usually given for 14 days following TKR to prevent a deep vein thrombosis (blood clots). Of course, it's always good to know the signs and symptoms of a DVT such as increased swelling, pain, fever, cough, shortness of breath and lightheadedness are all signs of a DVT to watch for. The likelihood of DVT decrease as activities are resumed.
  • Posted

My dr didn't do soxs. I am four months pluses and still taking baby aspirin which I guess I should stop. Still have swelling never has left..
    • Posted

Taking a therapeutic dose of aspirin, which is no more than 81 mgm is usually recommended for patients that have an increased risk of stroke or heart attack to prevent blood clots. But taking aspirin daily may be contraindicated with certain medical conditions. It's a good idea to discuss this with your doctor before discontinuing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.